Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • In ashaz's thread regarding a new phone, I saw a couple users debating the superiority of both operating systems before Ryan inevitably brought the thread back to it's original question. Anyway, thought that i would rekindle that discussion here.

Which os do y'all prefer? Android's customizability or iOS's ease of use (and social status lmfao)

• I don't really have a preference, I've used both before.
    But I know more about Apple and the things about it, so I would say Apple
    I really don't care about the "which one is superior" aspect of it, I'm more about the "what do you know more about".

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• At this point, both are pretty cool and are of a similar quality. Android has a lot of customization, and some aspects of that are not present on iOS. You can install custom launchers on Android, and it is much easier to use custom icon packs and install apps from places other than the Play Store. Android also has better integration with Google apps that most people will default to anyway, even if they are using iOS. However, iOS has far better app support - nothing runs poorly or crashes, and features and performance are optimized for the device you are using. This comes with some exclusive software that, in many cases, just works better than the Android alternatives. For example, iMessage has better rich messaging features and good user controls over the platform, like a set message deletion time, and message reaction time. FaceTime has various methods to improve the experience of video calling, like the eye contact feature. I would also argue that iOS does a little bit better with OS-related security/privacy matters, but ultimately, most of that is up to the user anyway.

In my opinion, iOS edges Android out by just a little bit, but I have an Android phone because Apple sucks in terms of device hardware. They need to get over things like the Lightning port, 60hz on midrange devices, horrendous repairability, and removing in-box items for bullshit "we're saving the environment!" reasons to convince me to purchase an iPhone. I honestly really wanted to get an iPhone 12 mini, but I didn't because the battery life was not great (at the time) and I could get a phone with better hardware features for the same money.

• Either really, both I find have ups and downs which are really something only personal preference will decide for you.

There's the odd minor things I liked more using my old iPhone as compared to my android motorola now, but there are things I prefer about the latter. Much better battery life, for one, although the iphone felt a lot faster, and ios looked cleaner in my opinion, doesn't throw google account related things in your face for a variety of things. Also preferred the ios keyboard, as little of a thing that is. (Although this android phone's one has a ridiclous amount of symbol emojis you can choose from. Hundreds. Does anyone actually use all of the fucking options this thing gives?)

Suppose android phones have many different brands using it offering slightly different things, so you have more options than ios for that for choosing exactly what's best for you.

Both do what a phone's main purpose is, the features which people fight over when it comes to what phones do what better are just the cherries on top.

Either way, just don't use a Samsung.

• never tried android i have used it but never had a phone with android on it the bad thing is is the updates after a bit you dont get them (idk if this is android or samsung) with apple you do i love IOS just want them to add that we can have more custom shit on it

codium multimatter redanium sporres

•   You! True, they never explicitly said that it sucks, but why would I tell users not to use a certain product? The only reason is that I think that the product isn't good, because why else you would you say to not use it?

If you hate a product, you would tell people to not use the product. Because you think it sucks (and that's what people do).

It's just common sense

• The first android I ever used (and I remember opening the box) was my dad’s Motorola Droid X back in 2010 (when some of you didn’t even have a memory and some of you were using BlackBerries and Motorola Razrs!). There was a reason we didn’t go with Apple back then… my dad didn’t want to give into buying anything other than the phone. We bought a used iPod touch back in 08 or 09 off Craigslist and I remember going to get that but Apple was one of those companies that still back then, hated right to repair, and they were closed source, making it more secure however it was a whole other shitshow jailbreaking iPhones. Cydia would always crash on the iPod touch and we had bad experiences trying to jailbreak iOS…

Android has always been great in the sense that I need to repair something on my own, or I have a technical error, it’s always been really easy to repair 99.9% of the time. And for someone like me, it’s more developer oriented. Using the Blu Studio X, Pixel XL, and Pixel 3 XL, I can confidently say Android has done me solid in the day to day activities I perform.

However, I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max now, and before that, an iPhone 11. So why? I wanted to try something different. I was planning on purchasing a MacBook Pro when I got my iPhone 11, and I had a pair of AirPods Pro someone gave me as a gift. And I haven’t had an issue! Battery has done me so much better than any Android I’ve ever owned, or my family has owned, and I’ve never had an issue other than when I first got my 11, just getting used to it was a little weird, accidentally taking screenshots and all. I have stayed with Apple ever since because of the ecosystem, how my MacBook, watch, AirPods, and phone all seamlessly connect with each other. I also use iPhones for security reasons. I always saw Android as more vulnerable and Apple’s approach to security I’ve always saw as better. When signing up for accounts it allowed me to easily hide my email, and private relay works amazingly.

So yeah, iOS for now. If I was developing apps I’d probably carry something like an S21 Ultra as a secondary device

•   Ivan Similarly to you, I am also a current pixel 3 user switching to iPhone 11.

Compared to iOS's level of app support and polished ui, the word I would use to describe android's front end would be clunky. Android has its benefits, being right to repair and often the better hardware for the price, however iOS seems to generally beat out android in terms of security and ease of use. Also, the connection that apple products have with each other also promotes buying into the apple ecosystem which further benefits using iOS rather than android.

Also, I plan to keep my old pixel 3 around as a development phone, however it is nearing death so that may change.

• i use both iOS and android but when it comes to tablets, my iPad and Apple Pencil are all I need for college work. like it’s such a good investment 😩 either way my Android atm (samsung a12) I bought a few months ago and it’s really good. I mainly use it for productive stuff like chegg blackboard and etc. my current iPhone xr (I use for social media and other entertainment) is good on ios14 and I don’t wanna update since it would cuck my phone.