I don’t like how corporatized TF is

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I’m not gonna write an essay because I don’t have time and I really want some input on this. I was looking for one word to describe the current state of the server and came to the conclusion that “corporatized” was the ideal word.

TotalFreedom a few years ago, is different from the TotalFreedom I know today. So much more confidentiality and Microsoft Teams, a lot more is taken seriously. And I’m not sure a new player coming onto TotalFreedom would like what they see when they open our forums now as opposed to 2015, etc. TotalFreedom is corporatized and I really ultimately think it’s making the server go in an even worse direction than it is already going in.

Ivan making the server go in an even worse direction than it is already going in.

i do agree its more corporatised and I'm not a fan but frankly i'd prefer ryans no-shit approach compared to seth and the shittalking in groupchats and the friendgroups becoming execs and being utter cunts in private. to the average player they wont give a shit if tf is owned by a company or a teenage dickhead, only difference being in one slurs get spammed in chat and in the other shit is too restricted.

my issues come from the more personal side of things in that while shit is more confidential and all, it was honestly kind of fun back when windows and seth was around cuz more interesting things happened. call me a dickhead cuz I like drama but yeah. i don't actually care enough to speak out against/for this, but that's just my two cents on it.

tl;dr yeah shit was more fun with drama but at the same time some shit went way too far that being corporatised got rid of

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• It's interesting that this has come up because it comes up from time to time as a passing comment from folks but is never really elaborated, so I appreciate that people have actually gone to the effort to elaborate what they mean.

I do agree TF has more structure, at least in terms of how the Executives and higher end up working, and that was unfortunately something that my hand was forced on, I had not originally intended to move the Executives & Developers into MS Teams, but after a few leaked Discord group chats with nobody coming forward to own it was them, it left me with no choice but to move people to a platform I had some control over, and I had also hoped that I could call on folks from ATLAS that don't use Discord to be able to provide some guidance in a few areas, some of that's been useful, some of it less so.

I don't expect players to actually see / notice a difference between if I owned TF personally, or if a company or anyone else noticed it, the only time it should really be apparent is when it comes to the executives.

I've also done a lot of what I've done to try to fix some of the major historical issues TF has had, the fact that executives would often go off and create their own Trellos / Discords / Other things, means we've lost a huge amount of data and history over the years and it in a few cases still hurts us to this day. There are voting sites & advertisements that are incorrect or misleading that people in terms of what we offer / plugins we have and all that, which we just don't have access to and can't change. I wanted to do as much as I could to prevent that, to make sure that I own those communications channels, e-mail accounts and everything else so that when executives naturally go inactive / step down, the successor stands a fighting chance of knowing what's going on and can access everything.

There's little on teams that doesn't end up getting published, the vast majority of the time it's me giving the execs a early heads up on an announcement I'm about to push out, or it's talking about projects that are in an early stage of planning, it's really no different to having folks on Discord, just with the added benefit of some of the integrations that Teams supports and the fact I can pull folks from ATLAS in much easier.

If there are specific things folks think need to change because they don't like the way I'm doing things, let me know. I'm happy to discuss pretty much any ideas out there, though with that said, I'm certainly hopeful that none of what I've said here is a surprise, and I don't think the platform we use should really dictate that "Corporate" feel.

I'll also say, I still try to remain as transparent with the community as possible, but likewise sometimes there are conversations that need to remain private, this is a natural part of running a community, and 100% transparency just is not possible or practical. People might not like that, but realistically TF has never been 100% Transparent... It's just seemed like it or people have rose tinted memory...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Honestly I think that for most part its fine, however its the backend stuff that kinda annoys me. and im sure @"videogamesm12"#4 would love to rant about the server stuff with files, but i don't have access to any of that so i have no clue. But stuff like keeping the teams things ultra private, to the point where if you reveal some of it, you could be suspended from your executive role, or having to go through and talk to atlas media people who you have no information about, and all that kind of stuff, is where i really dislike how corperate things are. For the average person though, I don't think this is too big of a problem