Freedom Gamemode - Ownership Update

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • @'Ryan' This has now been fixed.

FromTimeToTime ryan, as i understand it we are still easing towards closure of the minecraft game servers.

Not quite, at the moment the desire very much is that we won't look to close the network down in terms of the game servers, the original announcement was not a postponement per say, but a shelving of the idea with the expectation of re-visiting at a later date.

FromTimeToTime we have a re-evaluation planned around christmas time. in the worst case, might we expect freeop to close down, or to find a new host?

The worse case scenario at any given time is that the Freedom game mode is deemed unsustainable / not popular enough to justify continuing and gets canned. With that said with this announcement a lot of the issues I have with the Freedom Gamemode get handed off to Steven to handle (Lack of devs, lack of marketing and such), my concern when I review things with Steven on a regular basis will be around players and retention, how he goes about doing that is very much down to him. And likewise the Christmas date will no longer apply and there will be regular reviews with Steven (And other game mode owners as we bring more online) in the future.

FromTimeToTime assuming you intend to stop hosting tf, and not everyone trusts the next host, i think that a new policy should give executives the power to oust a host. seeing as you are the new domain/cloudflare controller, that doesn’t and can’t apply to you, but it would for a future host who is initially given your blessing but later acts against our best interests.

If I decide that hosting TF is no longer viable for any reason that isn't "I can't afford to keep running TF, it's too expensive and I can't afford it" then it would almost certainly be for reasons justifying it to be closed down rather than handed over. Steven is probably within his rights to move the Freedom server to other hosting if he really wanted (I'd suggest that would only be a sensible choice if there is a good reason I can't yet see). There's no intention on my part at the moment to consider transitioning the hosting elsewhere and likewise there is no intention to "Stop hosting TF". As I said in my original close-down thread, it was planned for the game servers to close, not the Discord / Forums etc.

Tizz Question is, how much power is the network owner supposed to have over the single game modes? Can they veto server owners’ decisions?

This is still being worked through, generally speaking a game-mode owner can do as they please within that game-mode, I don't have any intention on getting in the way of the day-to-day operations of the game-modes, my interest will remain at a higher level. Ultimately though I do still own the DNS and oversee everything, so if I believe a game-mode owner is doing something that isn't in the best interest of the community and they can't convince me that what they're doing is genuinely in the best interests of the community, then yes I will ultimately hold the ability to veto their decision, with that said I can't see that being needed a lot, and at least with the Freedom game-mode I would expect if those sorts of situations are coming up, the ownership policy would be being seriously considered long before I end up needing to step in. The only time I intend on getting involved in the running of the game-modes is where the changes / things may impact other aspects to the network as a whole.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK