Any hopes of recovering this database?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So I have a backup of the old TF Wiki from around September 2018. However, I made a backup of my entire Linux install (except for /dev and a few other directories I think).

I have a copy of the web files for the wiki and the database. However, the database was in the /var/lib/mysql folder. I tried to shut down MySQL and upload the files in there and start it again. It almost worked. In phpMyAdmin, it says "Table does not exist in the engine." I found a bunch of people who had solutions but were trying to copy everything from an old server over and were purging a bunch of stuff. I'm wondering if its possible to salvage the files and create a .sql or get it working again somehow. Keep in mind nothing is actually corrupted, and I have the entire Linux install to look for files if needed. Any advice? I also thing it might have to do with different MySQL versions. I don't remember what I was using back in September 2018, but I am now using MariaDB 10.6.2

• Go to Best Answer
  • There is probably an intended way to repair the database, but rather than fiddling with the files, you could try replicating the complete Linux installation you had in a VM and then simply exporting the database normally if you get it running again.

•   StevenNL2000 it's missing some foldere though. This is how the backup was made.
    sudo tar czf /backup.tar.gz --exclude=/backup.tar.gz --exclude=/dev --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/lost+found /

Not sure how I could get it to work. I have VMware and this was made on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (headless this was on my OVH server)

• wild1145 November 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.