VPN not giving me IPv6 address

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So basically I have a VPN setup. I use WireGuard and have the DNS servers set to Pi hole. The Pi hole is using OpenDNS for its upstream servers. Whenever I go to a place like https://ipleak.net, I get the IPv4 address. The DNS servers show IPv4 and IPv6. So it's capable of connecting to IPv6. I can't really seem to find anything about enabling it. I know it's possible because it used to be there. I think it happened when I had to switch network interfaces or something. I used systemd resolver but that conflicted on port 53 for Pihole. I had to do some magic which I honestly don't remember to get DNS for the server itself working. Any ideas where to look or how to get IPv6 working on the VPN again? Thanks

• Go to Best Answer
  • @StevenNL2000#12615 the VPN. I enabled ipv4 and ipv6 forwarding in sysctl. After doing that ipv6 DNS servers started showing up. I'm not getting an ipv6 address with public DNS vs pi hole DNS either. I've tried disabling my firewall but that didn't help. I'll post a picture of what it looks like. Currently pi hole only listens on the wg0 interface which is the VPN. It doesn't have the ipv6 address on there but I don't know how to add it. I know it has ipv6 because it used to work at one point a long time ago. Server is hosted on linode. I'm going to try and reset it entirely and do a clean install to see if that helps but I won't be able to do that for quite a while.

I think it may have had to do that by default I was using systemd resolver but had to disable that for pihole. The solution was to put nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf but that kept getting reset on reboots. I fixed it with some systemd magic or something and then it broke so i had to go down deep the rabbit hole and use something else for the server networking. I'll have to look to give you more details but for now I'm clueless on the seemingly 50 different places network information happens

Maybe wild would have an idea as well

• @Telesphoreo#12618 I am confused about what setup you are trying to describe. Is the Linode server the WireGuard server or the WireGuard client? Is the Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole the WireGuard client? Or is there a third device that you are trying to set up that needs to use both of those services? If you are not having problems with DNS, how does it factor into the story?

• @StevenNL2000#12858 The Linode server hosts Pi hole and WireGuard. The WireGuard client uses the server IP and 10.66.66.1 as the DNS. This automatically works out as it resolves to Pi hole since it's only hosted locally. That also keeps port 53 private and it'll refuse any connections from the outside world. I think I found out that the reason it's not working is because Linode disables IPv6 forwarding. Just now, I redid the entire setup. I reinstalled the OS and redid it all. That eliminated the mess of network managers that I had been using before. I might try setting this up on my OVH VPS and see if I can get an IPv6 since I know they do not block IPv6 forwarding. The reason I use Linode is because there are many sponsored links that give you free credit. That and it's the only trustworthy company that has a decent selection of servers to choose from around the US (one of the top priorities). I really don't like Linode and would be happy to switch from it to literally anything else that has servers in the US that aren't outrageously overpriced.

Unfortunately, I think this is a stalemate.

• wild1145 November 2, 2022 at 6:37 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.