Posts by wild1145

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

@Miwojedk#5092 I don't believe you are.

And there will be a number of admins who will have global permissions across all the servers, with the majority of the admins being tied to specific servers like SMP or Freedom. That's the current working plan anyway. It's unlikely we would have dedicated staff for the hubs any time soon. What Elmon has said here is correct.

@elmon#5093 My understanding is that there was intention to appoint network staff which would have perms across all TF servers @wild1145 ?

==

@Xen#5099 wild1145 Until the whole network staff is figured out, then maybe chat in Hub should be temporarily disabled or at least restricted to prevent spam and derogatory terms. Whilst we are waiting for you to do all of that, players are going to be taking advantage of the lack of moderation on the Hub server.

The majority (if not all) executives are OP in the hub, and they are able to issue bans. I don't want to disable chat in the hubs unless there is no other choice... I'd suggest notifying a member of the exec team who can come on and sanction them properly...

@Ashaz#5094 I don't think there ever has been one, at least I've not removed one. I was working on a way to let users raise bugs to be triaged on our Jira board but didn't get very far to be honest.

Ironically the bugs board should be a suggestion but yeah, I'll look into it (Or someone will beat me to creating it)

As for /rules I've raised FS-77 to fix this.

@UnderTails#5063 in order to prevent admins from not getting login messages for free, they have no control or administrative ability over them. It would require me or someone with similar access to "fix" your message.

In short this is an intentional design decision, I object to changing it how you've suggested and instead would suggest adding to the thread suggesting new login messages you'd like to see available.

@Miwojedk#5086 because in short being a current tf admin won't make you an admin in smp or the other game modes. Which was an intentional decision we made due to the differences in rules and the types of staff we would want.

The permissions for smp and the hub are still being worked through and eventually it will be setup so we do have staff who can manage those servers more effectively but I've not had time to do that between work and everything that's required my attention on here and on discord.

@Miwojedk#4989 If you’re so certain that the community will agree with you, then it shouldn’t be that big of a hurdle to create a thread on the topic.

For the record. Changing the current setup we have is something I would deeply disagree with and as I've said before as far as I'm concerned would raise questions around my suitability to continue running the server in the capacity to which I've been appointed to do so. Why would I make a thread for something I think is such a horrific idea that I'd immediately and strongly object to?

@Miwojedk#4989 What I want you to respond to me is my main thesis, which you clearly did not, even in 7 paragraphs. You have to actually address – why – you should be allowed to make changes to the core foundations of the server without community approval.

Because I'm going to bed ill keep it short.

Because when I was voted in as the server owner. That meant I owned every aspect of total freedom and am free to run it how I see fit. The server is quite frankly mine to do whatever I wish with, and if the community really don't like it. They can remove me.

It's blunt but quite frankly that's the bottom line. I own the server, and everything in it and related to it. If I decide overnight that we're going to get rid of the forums completely and move to telegram instead of discord, that's my right as the owner to do and quite frankly the community can join me in changes I make, find another server to play in or vote me out.

I do not need the communities approval for every decision I should chose to make. And to think that's a sustainable way forward is something that baffles me.

@Miwojedk#4957 If I missed a point when replying to your thread then apologies. I tried to cover a lot of points off and tried to cover all of the points I'd seen and give my perspective on them. If I've mis understood what your getting that then perhaps that's why we're all going around in circles because if I have mis understood then I won't be the only one that has. If there are any points you wanted me or someone else to specifically cover off then please say and if I have a view or opinion on them I can actually give you a specific reply.

Your entire point here is that Seth made an unpopular decision, which for the record Finest as I understand was offered the position of forum manager for, but turned down. I can't argue for / against why Seth did that, and again I'm not really sure what you want from me. Did he do something unpopular? Yes. Did we lose people that were historically active on the forums? Yes. Did we actually lose any active players / admins that were in game? I don't think so...

It sounds to me like you want to re-define what being a Minecraft server owner is in the context of TotalFreedom, to be literally that, the owner of the Freedom server on TotalFreedom, and to then strip me / whoever else of all actual power, which for obvious reasons I'm deeply against and I've already explained why that is... I will also say around this point that I've been vary careful with my changes to the ownership policy, they've all gone through the community, and I've made suggestions in good faith that removed the control over the process that I formally had due to a loophole in the process but you also need to remember we're talking about a Minecraft server, not a country.

Your entire argument that I am "Just a server owner" is frankly bollocks, and I would genuinely like you to find me examples of other servers where "Server owner" means literally just owning the Minecraft server. I feel you will be hard pressed to find a server where the server owner doesn't hold ultimate and total power over everything, which quite frankly is what you need, else you end up with "Too many cooks" and nobody to steer the ship. If you don't like the fact that I own everything then it's on you as far as I'm concerned to find a better proposal that the community and I am happy with.

This entire argument to me boils down to whatifism where you (and fairly so) believe the Seth issue could have been mitigated. And it technically could have, but at all sorts of other costs that people "forget" because putting shackles on me or any other server owner is a sure fire way to remove any desire for us to actually try to grow the server and work with the community, and quite frankly your suggestion that I shouldn't be allowed to grow TF to expand to more platforms and to be able to run the ones that I am ultimately responsible for as "Server Owner" feels like a joke.

To go back to your very original point on this thread, the reason the idea never got picked up again is 2 fold

1) I and others highlighted the legal, financial and other complications that needed to be addressed, and nobody here could find a good solution in the weeks we discussed it on various platforms
    2) Nobody bought it up again... the suggestion was batted around on Discord, and died there. If you really want it implemented make a suggestion with a viable proposal that doesn't make me look and feel like nothing more than the servers wallet, that ensures we still have a server owner that can do their job and that means the server owner has actual autonomy and doesn't have to risk treading on egg shells around the owners of the other platforms to do their own job effectively, which would be another major reason I'd object to not having control over everything myself now I'm sitting here as the owner.

I'll also say, it's different perspectives, I don't agree with how Seth took the discord ownership from me, and I don't like he took it from me at all because I put the work into creating it and forming it into what I wanted it to be but at the end of the day he owned TF and everything about it in it's format at the time, and to be honest I'd have wanted to take control if I were in his shoes, I've just had too many other things on to be the one pushing Fionn for ownership which is why that only happened when it came up on this thread at his own doing.

So I'll chime in here because we're already way off of topic, and I can't split this out on to it's own post which I would like to because it's a fair topic.

Historically the separation of duties has not been intentional, or for any reason as I understand it, other than that Mark did not have the desire / technical knowledge to maintain those platforms. I came up with the idea of the discord, set it up and showed it back to Mark, offered it and he was happy to let me do my own thing with it, with some stipulations on what could ensure it retained it's official status and what not.

My personal view is if I've been voted in to act as the owner of this server, that includes all of it's platforms, else it's not really being the owner, and if I'm honest that I think is what pushed Seth to where he got to, and it's a genuinely uncomfortable feeling which I've had myself. I've not yet ran the numbers, but TF in it's current format isn't that cheap to host, which is fine, I own the server, it's my "Problem" to find the money to pay for it - As soon as people start wanting to split chunks of TF off you end up with 2 things.

1 - If you still expect me to pay for it, you're making me look and feel like a fool because you want to get the perks of running a server, without needing to pay for it.
    2 - You end up with no clear person running the server, with everyone running their own little bits, and over time things will fracture and split, and the community will end up divided / no more at all.

I personally feel I've been as transparent as is reasonably possible with how I intend to run the server, and I won't repeat that here, but in short I'll do what I think is best, even if that's against the popular vote. If people don't like it, we have an ownership policy and you can vote me off.

With regards to the admin voting, unfortunately at the time we had ended up setting up Flarum, it was a near new release and because Flarum is a buggy shitty piece of crap none of the plugins including polling was updated. The choice was between waiting potentially 2-4 weeks for that to be updated and leave the server in limbo, or to do the poll via a trusted 3rd party application. The e-mails were sent to every admin on the Flarum forums at the time, and if people chose not to vote then to be honest I'm not sure what more I could do given it was 3 clicks from the e-mail to open the poll, click a choice and hit submit... People were given a lot of warning and notice and reminders to vote, and we followed the policy to the letter and only deviated where there were technical limitations preventing us from doing so.

What I will also say, is if people want to start taking chunks of the server "Away from me" to run under different people, then I will need to personally review my thoughts and feelings on the matter, as I've said before, I'm not here to bankroll a server I have no real power / involvement in, and I can't see the server surviving for that long on only community donations. There are also a whole host of legal concerns that come up once you start splitting ownership, and a lot of these I'm still working through for things like privacy policies, data protection laws and all that absolute mess that comes with running platforms such as this.

I would also ask the community to tread carefully, because there are only so many of us willing to put our neck out there to run the server, and when people start wanting to take chunks of it away it screams of "You're not doing a good enough job, fuck you I'll take that" which I've been on the receiving side of oh so many times before, and it's not a healthy way to run and maintain a server.

I will also say because this has come up a few times, I'm not running TF as any sort of democracy, at the end of the day I do own this server, and I'll do what I feel best. If that means moving to new platforms, overhauling things drastic changes and the community doesn't like it, then they have the ownership policy that they can vote me out with, or they can always play on another server. To put everything to a community vote especially when it does come to larger things like the hosting and platform of the server, is not a sustainable or sensible way to run things, when most people I don't feel will have both the knowledge required to make a FULL and informed decision, and will almost certainly have their own motives often not to change / move forward because they can't see / aren't aware of the bigger picture at play.

I hope I've not missed anything out, but it feels like I've covered the major points here.

If a discord mod deems the content to be NSFW, the member posting it will be banned...

I don't want to start making the rules super complex because it becomes unrealistic to fairly enforce. I trust that the mod team will be able to tell the difference between SFW and NSFW Content...

Hi Folks,

One for our MB Team but figure this is the best place to catalogue this sensibly.

One of the things I'm looking to do is to effectively replace the current MBServer and to have a dedicated server for the Hub Server World to reside within our main bungee network. This would only be accessible by the Master Builder team and the network administrators, but would allow us to better test the other things like how the redstone and portals interact with the bungee network going forward.

My question for you all is what plugins do you feel are needed on the project server to make effective use so that you can continue to improve on our hub world going forward. At the moment the server has the following plugins so just keep that in mind.

• Multiverse (Should no longer be needed)
    • VoxelSniper
    • WorldEDit
    • WorldGuard
    • Essentials
    • goBrush
    • PixelPainter
    • goPaint

It will have some of the plugins the hub has (Like NetworkManager, portals etc etc) but if any of those are no longer required / needed, and likewise if there are any there that would be really useful that we don't have please let me know.

Thanks.

In order to roll out some updates that need to be rolled out both on the bungee along with all the servers sitting within that bungee we will be performing some routine maintenance across the network which will result in a temporary outage of ALL TotalFreedom servers.

The maintenance window will be as follows

Start: 18:00 GMT
    End: 20:00 GMT
    Total Duration: 2 Hours

Updates will be posted here - https://status.atlas-media.co.uk/maintenances/NiYWOAANafhR

Just to let people know, I've temporarily enabled maintenance mode on the old Proboards forums, this is a temporary step while we work in much slower time to open the forums up to everyone and to make sure that all threads can be sensibly archived for future reference.

Registration has also now been disabled, and will not be enabled in the future, I wanted to ensure we could have a snapshot in time of who was registered ideally before we moved, but obviously that's not worked due to the historic issues with the forums.

Just wanted to let people know in case there was concern, nothing's been changed / deleted, I just want to make sure people can find their way here easily, and that we can work on updating the permissions to allow read-only access to everyone as we review the threads that are currently restricted to certain member groups.

Cheers all.

@zeseryu#4763 So just on this topic, I've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes (Which is why I've not been super active on TF recently) to expedite the work that ATLAS is doing for Superior-Networks to overhaul the underlying infrastructure in order to fix what I believe are some of the current bottlenecks in the server. The Bungee, Hub 2, SMP Server and Freedom-02 servers will be the first ones to be moved on to the new infrastructure so I'm hopeful that once we make the change any existing lag will either be resolved or be a case of geographical location which unfortunately I won't be able to do a great deal about.

I'll make a more proper post closer to the time but just so everyone here know's, I'm aware we've had performance issues recently on a few servers and we're looking to fix it.

So this isn't something I'm super keen on, for a few reasons.

My default position is if you want guaranteed building space, go to the plot world and build there, as that is after all what it's designed for.

I'm also aware we've had a lot of issues with a number of the existing WorldGuard regions that have been defined, because people claimed the area where other's builds also resided in, and I've been pondering if we cease to allow OP builds to be protected by world guard other than where they are the world spawn / similar.

And ultimately there will be a lot of players that may not come on regularly, and wouldn't really enjoy coming back to find their builds have been protected and they can't build with them, this sounds good in theory but for me is a pretty major shift away from the historic "Freedom" aspect of the server we've been promoting and that I'd like us to be trying to move back in the direction of going forward.

I'm open to thoughts, but I think this is one of those where it'll likely cause more harm than good.