VPNS and firewalls and other jazz

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So basically I have NxFilter running at home. I have a WireGuard server setup on port 1194. I have the DNS servers set to 10.66.66.1 which works on my phone. However, what's weird is that it only loads Google. The filter logs websites, but refuses to connect. For example, apple.com will log but it simply doesn't connect. The only website that works is Google. I know its not cached because I can search for something I've never searched for before and it'll load the page. However, that only happens on my phone. If I connect to the VPN on my computer any and all websites load and log. Does anyone have any clue why this is?

Second question is how do I make firewall rules to allow all devices on the network to only use the NxFilter DNS, but allow NxFilter itself to connect to any DNS server

The rules I have are
    Rule 1:
    Source: Any network / device on any port can access allowed DNS on port 53.
    Allowed DNS is 192.168.1.50 and 10.1.0.1
    This is on LAN IN and applies to TCP/UDP traffic

Rule 2:
    Source: NxFilter (192.168.1.50) on port 53 can access any IP on any port.
    This applies to TCP/UDP traffic on LAN In

Rule 3:
    Any IP on the network cannot access anything on port 53

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't work

@Telesphoreo#6211 Rule 2:
    Source: NxFilter (192.168.1.50) on port 53 can access any IP on any port.

This rule is wrong. NxFilter will use a random source port to connect to the external DNS servers, not 53.

• wild1145 November 2, 2022 at 6:31 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.