Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So a long time ago I wrote a thread describing my experiences with Ubiquiti's UniFi. I actually had to write it twice as both were under Seth's forum and the data got lost twice. UniFi is basically prosumer networking equipment. I'm not going to gloss over everything or how it's exactly setup but here's the general idea.
    I have a USG as the router, an 8 port 150W switch, a cloud key gen2, and 5 access points. The reason I went with UniFi is because we have two houses on our property. Our ISP wanted to charge both as separate connections. That may not have been the end of the world except for the fact that the prices are over $200 a month. So buying UniFi has saved us $200 a month which obviously paid off the initial cost of the equipment very quickly. Our house is extremely large at 4000sqft so we have 3 access points in the house. So I'll go over every product now

1. The USG. I didn't quite realize it's over 10 years old when I bought it, so it certainly is showing its age. It can do a 1 gig connection both ways but only do IDS/IPS at 85 mpbs. IDS/IPS stands for Intrusion Detection System / Intrusion Prevention System and basically scans all network traffic for threats. The USG is the cheapest and I'm actually glad I went with it. There are newer products such as the Dream Machine Pro, but they've been plagued with firmware issues since it came out.
    2. The switch. It's a switch, not too exciting. I have one in each house and they work fine. They do run hot, but I'm getting fans to help with that. It does the only two things I need it to do which is lock an Ethernet port to only one device and assign different VLANS to each port.
    3. The access points. By far the best thing Ubiquiti makes. The access points are really good. I got the AC Lites which are the cheapest at just $99 each. They aren't the best, but they certainly exceeded my expectations. The range isn't amazing but the speeds are really good. I should have gotten the AC Long Range instead. Ubiquiti has come out with their WiFi 6 access points (U6) but I haven't tested any of them. I did buy one AC Pro and the difference is apparent in range. But seriously, for just $99 it's a pretty dang good access point.

The problem unfortunately is their buggy firmware. I used to upgrade every release. My initial version was 5.14.23 for the controller and 4.3.20 on the access points and switches. I upgraded to the new 6.x versions for the controller and 5.x versions for switches and access points. It got buggier and buggier every update. I actually took down the entire network for a day to redo the entire thing from scratch. I went back to 5.14.23 and 4.3.20 for everything and all the issues went away. I apparently bought my equipment at the right time as it was actually the last good firmware update released by Ubiquiti. Ever since July 2020, the entire software quality went down the garbage. That sort of explains why I had such a bad experience and why people said it was so good. Now that I'm back on the older versions, it actually has been trouble free. There were so many issues and UI changes in the new firmwares, but the old versions are rock solid. Ever since downgrading the equipment has been running continuously for 2-3 months. I would have had to reboot every week on the newer versions.

So that's basically one year with UniFi. Do I recommend it now? No, not really. I was lucky to get everything before it all went downhill but I wouldn't recommend investing in it now

• This is good to know.

I'm looking at unifi as a solution for when I end up moving and wanting to run cameras and some of their protect line of kit, less bothered about their wifi and general networking stuff but had sorta gone with the approach of if I'm investing in some of their kit to see if going whole hog is the way to go, and sounds like some further research will be needed.

I'd heard some issues had come up in recent months but hadn't appreciated it was as regular as you'd found. I've never actually used unifi stuff before so might be something I need to just re look at entirely and see if there's a better solution for the problem I want to solve.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan' I wouldn't invest a penny in Protect. The cameras are really hard to get, they're seemingly always out of stock. Also, they completely killed off UniFi Video for UniFi Protect. If you bought into UniFi Video, you were out of luck and were forced to switch. Also, they require a cloud account and is dependent on the cloud. If UniFi has an outage, you can't even connect locally. It's cloud based whether you like it or not. Also, many people have been reporting their cameras randomly disconnecting. This is a pretty widespread issue and I don't think Ubiquiti has even acknowledged it as an issue. I would 100% look elsewhere for a security system. Ubiquiti is trying to do way too many things. They have networking, cameras, a door access control system, a phone system, and now an ID system. That's on top of their smaller things such as their smart plugs and lighting

• Minor bump but this might be relevant for anyone considering UniFi. So it turns out you can actually update the firmware on switches / access points without having to upgrade your controller (Ubiquiti now calls this the "UniFi OS Network Application"). It seems as if people aren't having major issues with the newest firmware versions for switches / access points. All the big issues with UniFi are with the actual controller itself. It seems as if using 5.14.23 is still the best version for the controller. I just upgraded from 4.3.20 on the access points and switches to 5.64.8 and 5.43.46. There are no immediate issues so far. I'll update if there are any issues. Reverting to older versions on switches / access points is extremely easy. Reverting the controller is not. You have to reinstall it and lose all your data. If you take a backup beforehand, all the data will restore. Reverting the cloudkey back is also relatively easy. It's still on 1.1.13 as that version doesn't force a Ubiquiti account.