Posts by resident_user

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

Tizz

erin

There are several reasons to not want to create a Microsoft account. Currently, having a Mojang account would not suck you into Microsoft’s ecosystem which is precisely what they are trying to do by migrating users to Microsoft accounts under the guise of security improvements that could easily be extended to a network of accounts that already exist under Mojang Studios.

@'Ryan' I will address this whole thing in a linear way because of how long it is and because I’m on mobile.

You wrote a longer response to something I didn’t even consider that lengthy. I just thought it was necessary to get my point across even though I believe it to be self-evident.

I think you’re being disingenuous in your reply or you actually believe that people who trade racist remarks online are being dicks to one another when nine times out of ten and especially on Minecraft they’re engaging in something other people haven’t been let in on.

What you should say is “I’m not comfortable with people using racial slurs” because anything else is misconstruing how people act on your server. It’s kind of a boogeyman attempt to act like there are real racists just waiting to ride horses and burn crosses that your rule preventing users from using the N-word will prevent them from doing.

Anyway, an anarchy server just holding up to what the loose idea of anarchy is doesn’t make it “pure anarchy.” Rather, if you are calling yourself an anarchy server and you keep your players on a leash then you’re not hosting an anarchy server. It’s like calling real freedom servers “pure freedom” and then having a freedom server that restricts ops– oop–

If there has been a demand for anarchy then it should signal there has been an underlying demand for an environment where players don’t have the ball and chain. Instead, creating a server where all the features are taken away and they are exclusively given the element of that restriction does not produce something desirable.

@'Ryan' The people on this server you’re appealing to are by and large under the age of 16 so they are bound to make jokes about racism. They already do, but they do it in a way that doesn’t get them banned.

This game mode is destined to fail because it doesn’t accomplish what it says on the tin and there are legitimate anarchy servers that you can have fun on and simulate an interaction with people without the obfuscation of rules that prevent people from airing what they want to say on a server that is by the way for Minecraft, a video game people shouldn’t be taking seriously.

Anarchy but “don’t offend anyone or you’ll be sanctioned.” In other words: not anarchy. It’s somewhat charming to see how this server fails at doing things like even the most basic game mode out there which is “do what you do.”

macOS will always be more secure than Windows. On another point the source code for Windows leading up to XP SP2 (I think?) was leaked by some Windows insider and is easy to compile.

It’s a well known gimmick that Microsoft just changes the user interface of Windows, adds a new specification to lock down the system and slaps on a new brand name every four years.

Edit: Before someone quotes this post about the popularity of Windows over Mac, I guess I should reiterate that I am looking through the scope of security which Apple as a company seems to value more than Microsoft. Privacy rant:

IE6/Edge/“the monstrosity” I also think does not value privacy as much as Safari which can now tell you how many trackers are embedded in a website. If Safari built a capable framework for extensions then it would be a capable browser.

iOS/Apple TV (and probably the rest of their ecosystem) gives users the option to “ask apps not to track” which companies like Facebook that rely on tailored advertisements have had issues with. Anything that gives users control over what’s using their information is a step in the right direction.

Microsoft’s settings that control analytics are presented in an evasive manner when you install Windows, they do not turn off the full scope of information that other clients are collecting from your usage of the OS and it’s something that seems like an exploitation of Windows users having constant Internet access.

Anybody that’s objected to this feature because of trolling is being obtuse. Ever since operators have been able to use /tptoggle there’s been no concern over a player having their privacy violated on the server, and it’s not like this command obstructs the packets sent by a player (they’re still online) so block logging plugins would work fine.

In my opinion there are plenty of people who are against this because it gives players a feature that was previously available only to admins.

Adding this to the server brings this place more in line with the “freedom” branding, removes another feature exclusive to admins for no particular reason and gives it to all the players. There’s no reason not to do it.

@'r00t' Vista brought the horrendous UAC or User Account Control which was Microsoft’s solution to gaping holes in security by placing the burden on the user to ask his permission before opening any elevated program. Oh, and they also brought DRM!

UAC has gradually improved but the security of Windows is still piss poor compared to other operating systems, or just look at the tools that come with your average Linux distribution.

Internet Explorer still can’t be removed. Or Edge, sledge, crapola or whatever they’re calling their knockoff Chrome now.

It looks like the main feature that comes with Windows 11 is your computer being more wired into Microsoft’s information systems that collect your personal data and urge you to feed them your payment info. At least they’ve spared older computers from being forced to upgrade with stringent requirements.

burger No link to Mojang? Minecraft used to run in a browser window. It was the most popular way to play the game before there was a capable desktop client and after that people began offering modified (cracked) versions of the game on their own websites.

This wouldn’t be possible anymore. Most modern browsers no longer support Java Applets, or the technology used for Minecraft’s browser experience.

There’s a new classic Minecraft game for the web but it’s not written in Java to my knowledge.

Zarcana The substance of my post really went over your head with this one. My point is that when a gang of admins converge on a player’s collage in order to laugh at him, there is clearly that unbridled hatred I’m talking about. Did I imply that each of you dream of this guy in your sleep? No, I seriously doubt that but it’s always possible.

The rest of your reply just strikes me as an attempt to argue over nothing. The person who said “I don’t hate this person, we’ve had some nice convos in the past although we don’t talk that much” also said they were having a jab at that same person.

Why would you even bother drumming up that last paragraph when you admit to some of the posts being inappropriate, “could be considered trolling” and such…

“There is obviously no intention to elicit a reaction from Akefu.”

I don’t believe this for a second, by the way.

I don’t think any critique against Revolt for being similar to Discord is a good reason not to use the platform. That is by design; because the app seems familiar to Discord users, many of whom are not tech-savvy, it can easily be adopted.

The reason you should consider Revolt is because it does not have a Privacy Policy that disregards the actual privacy of those who use it, unlike Discord.

Other apps that have been brought up are just as great but the main takeaway from this thread should be: Discord is not a universal platform. It shouldn’t be considered the gold standard of messaging apps because it’s quite the opposite of that in terms of their practices.

erin “I don’t hate this person, we’ve had some nice convos in the past although we don’t talk that much.”

In other words you are passive-aggressive and will take any opportunity to “have a jab.” I’m just making my point that in many cases it’s the admins who do the trolling and not the players.

Some people act like this on the server even more often and it is disheartening. People are already becoming insufferable in real life which is why it benefits nobody to do the same thing online.

A requirement for admins to use Discord would force them to have an account and bind them by Discord’s highly objectionable Privacy Policy. This server’s forcing of Discord upon its admins would show that the higher-ups here do not care about privacy, or rather the choice of their admins to be privacy-conscious and not use Discord.

The only reason this isn’t viewed as absurd is because Discord hasn’t been abandoned for the next hot thing yet. It would be like making admins use TeamSpeak or Skype… but Skype at least makes sense because Microsoft is forcing their MS Accounts down the throats of Minecraft players.

Flarum is six years old, it’s younger than TFM and it’s a forum software instead of a Minecraft plugin. Wasn’t it adopted before its stable release (just last year)? Where did the “bug-free” expectations come from?