Posts by wild1145

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

Further to the recent emergent change block, we will be relaxing some of the restrictions currently in place now that the threat is more fully understood.

As per the previous announcement, configuration file updates and Scissors updates were permitted to production and non production services.

With immediate effect plugins that are built by our development team may be deployed to the non production infrastructure after specific targeted malware scanning has taken place, and with the approval of both videogamesm12 and Paldiu.

These same plugins may be prompted from the Non Production Servers to the production environment no earlier than 6 hours after the plugin was uploaded to the development server, and only when the plugin to be uploaded as well as a randomly selected plugin have been checked for malware. Once these criteria are met the plugin may be promoted to the production server with the approval of only videogamesm12 or myself.

Any other changes to the servers will remain blocked.

Block Start: 7 June 2023 14:30 UTC

Block End: Indefinite

Next Block Review Date: 1 June 2023 13:00 UTC

The long term plan will be to host a proper Wiki (Something like wiki.totalfredom.me) however it's waiting on us to be able to solve a few annoying technical problems around single sign on before we can launch this and similar things. At that point all those sorts of posts would be moved into the Wiki is my plan.

Further to the earlier emergent change block, we will be extending this block until 11:00 AM UTC Tomorrow when the next review will take place.

We have been able to work with the Scissors team and confirm the secure supply chain of the server binary and as a result updates to Scissors are now permitted across the network. Likewise updates to common configuration files across the network is now permitted.

Any other changes to the servers will remain blocked.

Next Block Review Date: 8 June 2023 11:00 UTC

Yurni has now been added

Yurni - Grooming an under 18 year old into a relationship. Violating US Federal law and while the specific states the two people were in does not directly stop this, US Federal law as well as the laws where Discord is based does. There is also reason to believe this may have broken German Law, which is a requirement for this network.

Due to an emergent malware threat currently posing a risk to the integrity of our infrastructure, all changes to any of our minecraft community servers is now blocked with immediate effect. At the current time there will be no exceptions to the change block.

This block impacts all plugins and configurations across the servers, as well as the infrastructure powering these servers.

Next Block Review Date: 7 June 2023 20:00 UTC

Network Manager have their own plugin for admin / staff chats so DiscordSRV / Essentials Disocrd / Similar would be absolutely fine at that point, it's been tested on the hub and in our plots dev server. The current limitation is TFM.

I would also like to make the argument that both DiscordSRV and EXDiscord are written using JDA, while the Discord implementation that I've got on the RELEASE-2023.03 branch is written with D4J.
    In most cases, JDA is a fine product and works as intended without issue. However, due to the nature of how MC functions on a performance level, I argue that D4J would be a better option for us. The discord bot I've written for TFM (which is 100% operational) uses this API instead of JDA and I would highly recommend that we keep this even if it's a project maintained exclusively by myself (which is fine by me, I can even release it on spigot if that makes you feel better). Some minor tweaks to it can make it run exclusively standalone, so that isn't a concern either.

I could write an entire essay on why D4J is a better option for us than JDA alternatives, but I don't think that's necessary. Though, if it is, I will be more than happy to explain exactly why we should use this over the alternatives.

If we can make it it's own stand alone plugin that live on our Github and is maintained and maintainable (Ideally even with tests though that seems to be a novel thing in MC Dev) I'm happy to use basically whatever, I just don't want any special sauce and it needs to be that we could swap it out for DiscordSRV / similar if we had to in the future.

So once we are able to move to a standard plugin this will be mostly native anyway, you can post your long message and it gets pretty aggressively truncated in server so it's not super spammy.

Unfortunately due to the things we currently have in the discord bot and how it communicates with our plugin, a "standard plugin" is not in the realm of possibility. Even if we migrated our admin chat to Network Manager, we will still need to implement our own discord impl to communicate those messages to our discord server. The OTS plugins do not support that kind of communication and only skims readable messages.

The only way we can get away with using something like EXDiscord or DiscordSRV is if we reduce certain functionalities

Network Manager have their own plugin for admin / staff chats so DiscordSRV / Essentials Disocrd / Similar would be absolutely fine at that point, it's been tested on the hub and in our plots dev server. The current limitation is TFM.

We have a partial ability to restore posts though they'll all show up as bots when we do so, after the last time this happened we setup a backup process to export all of the content on a regular basis so not all will be lost, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to restore it as a lot of the ways that are recommended involves spinning up an entirely new server which I'd rather not do given everyone is in the current one. We will probably look to manually re-create everything off of the template and then look to restore posts. It could be a few days before everything is fully restored, and we won't look to re-open channel access for the newly re-created channels until the restore is complete.