Posts by wild1145

it doesn't require me to do it. Rylie for one is able to do so

Would it not require you, the only person on this server with access to NetworkManager, to add it as a server to the network?

Yes, though the server doesn't need to be joined to the network to start getting things working. And again, we have 2 test servers, neither of which are staged ready to be "Promoted" to a prod server.

I'll also say, while we decide if TF will remain a network or not, I don't have any intention of creating more servers and using up more capacity, as those servers would cease to be accessible once the network is terminated if we un-do the network.

Right now there isn't a server to add to NM and there may never be one following this thread and the push to de-network and "simplify" things back to how they were prior to me taking over

There's very little network wide currently that only I can do

You mean aside from the plan to update to 1.19.4 that we are supposed to and need to carry out as soon as possible which requires you to create another server to add to the network, which requires you yourself to do in our current situation?

it doesn't require me to do it. Rylie for one is able to do so but again due to 1.20 and the length of time it's taken so far I'd asked you to do something on teams prior to us progressing in any case.

My only concern is that Ryan is still the only one able to do some stuff network-wise, which makes him a single point of failure.

There's very little network wide currently that only I can do, and honestly the majority of the things that fall into this category will already break if I die / go awol as things like the domain will go bang anyway.

How would this simplify development? You're just moving the point of failure from dev branch to main branch..

would have been a complete fucking disaster at the companies i worked for kekw

Devs say the process is too complicated. This is the only simplification I can think of. If it's unsafe, then what's the point of complaining?

The reason for the dev branch was to ensure we had a route to apply hot fixes or bug patches to the current release.

This process is not complex or confusing, this was the bare minimum you'd see anywhere that has a focus on code quality.

Any further simplified process will be ultimately at the risk of unknown or unstable code making it to prod.

and we would gain some development cost back as we wouldn't have to implement the cross-server synchronization stuff (bans, etc.) that seems to currently be planned.

There would be no development effort required. The dev team only work on freedom 01 on purpose.

We had a freedom 02 but it ended up being a mess and people hated it even as a fallback.

Let me make this clear before we begin, I am not against the server being a network, but I am against how we're running it as a network currently. No offense to Ryan, but I believe we need to re-evaluate how we run currently.

Reconsider the concept of having TotalFreedom be a network in the first place for now

The idea would be to kill the Bungee concept entirely for now and just run the server as a standalone box again. This would hugely simplify our infrastructure and quite frankly would make running the server infinitely easier. It would take much less time for us to perform maintenance with this simpler infrastructure. We wouldn't need to worry about free-op or some other potentially hazardous plugin potentially causing network-wide chaos because there wouldn't be any network for the bullshit to spread to. I believe this might be one of the best solutions currently, and here's why.

Management's eyes are on the prize (being a network), but not how we manage to get there, and that's causing a lot of issues. We're needlessly over-complicating how we run things by an insane amount (e.g. stupidly restrictive development) which requires us to waste time playing hopscotch by jumping through all of the hoops and then acting surprised when the extremely limited development resources we have (namely, Paul, Allink, and I in our free time) can't deliver. Furthermore, Ryan is, in my opinion, trying to juggle way too many at things at once whilst having a schedule that is more tightly packed than a can of sardines, which prevents him from effectively doing his job as the owner of the network. Simplifying our infrastructure and how we run would help massively with this because it would take much less time to do what we need to do.

I wouldn't be as open to this idea of simplifying our infrastructure if it wasn't for the fact that in practice, we're not very successful as a network, and this is based on the state of the network as it stands right now, not the player count. We're running as a network, we only have a single active gamemode and that's only because it has been established for nearly 13 years now. We lack a solid, proper foundation (namely, a variety of fully implemented gamemodes instead of just two), which is something that is crucial for us to be a network. What we have right now just doesn't count. We've been at this state for practically 3 years, and I'm afraid things haven't changed. With how over-complicated things are currently and given the unsuccessful nature of the network concept, simplifying what we have makes sense.

TL;DR - I'm not saying we shouldn't be a network at all, but I am saying we should be mindful of the resources we have and to avoid being too ambitious. We should wait until we have a solid foundation to even be a network before we can call ourselves one. Management is being overly ambitious about how we run our shit and this is taking an incredibly negative toll on the state of the server and community. We should try to simplify how we run to account for our limited resources and our schedules.

I think it's important to untangle the network compared to the freedom game mode. The development process is entirely a limitation within the freedom game mode, and as long as people aren't fucking with user permissions adding new plugins shouldn't in reality actually cause an issue (and if we bother to test them on a test server with a trusted audience, we should find a lot of these more obvious problems).

I'm not against removing the network, but it's important to note it doesn't really simplify anything beyond removing the hub and skyblock (And preventing us splitting the worlds out into their own servers which was partially planned), the same restrictions for file access, panel access and such would exist, and the Freedom server would simply have the same (if not more) resource constraints to free up capacity for other projects I'd look to start.

This would be what we call at work, a one way door decision, going back to being a network would not be possible, and if we're limiting the growth of the server (and network currently) then so be it, but it'll ultimately cause us to be more constrained overall and our growth will be significantly limited.

It's about balance, I received pressure when I took over to increase the quality of the development as there were a lot of complaints that untested crap was getting pushed to the server, leading to basic exploits and ultimately pushing people away.

TFM releases can be pretty quick, and the main issue was the lack of people properly reviewing code changes, the process got more complex / difficult because people were circumventing it / trying to push untested crap onto the live server.

videogamesm12 is within his power to change this, but the reality is we need actually tested and assured code running, not things that just don't throw errors in the IDE.

To clarify. While this was a consent issue it was also an issue whereby you posted nsfw and inappropriate content on the discord. The rules have been clarified over and over again.

With that in mind I object.

To add, this role will be for all of the network and will not just be the freedom server which will require it's own time commitments.

Likewise from what I'm seeing the systems admin role wont make any difference to the pain you've already been having.

If you're happy spending a decent amount of time working on stuff that isn't the freedom server then thats fine, but as I say you'll still have the exact same limitations working on the freedom server as you do today.

more complex because ptero using docker and docker mounts

Docker isn't that complex once you learn how to navigate its quirks and really get to understand it. I'm sure Video would easily be able to pick it up, if he hasn't already.

It was more about the mounts and finding them. Not impossible but due to our permissions setup it's of relatively significant complexity and more so than when video used to access the dev server.

As a developer, in the past I literally had to work with the clusterfucked system that was Dev-Freedom-01 and its Fort Knox login system, which despite feeling like I was sticking my dick in a Cheerio every time I tried to use it, I still had enough patience to work with it.

Fwiw it's the exact same system on all of the physical hosts... And genuinely more complex because ptero using docker and docker mounts.

As I said scissors is not the same as tf. Tf has other people with files system access that can pick this shit up, scissors is entirely separate currently and was done so intentionally. There's no issue with more people being given file system access but that wouldn't have helped that issue you raise.

I think someone else needs control of the TF infrastructure. This is being ran like a business that's conservative to make changes and the entire thing is so complicated. It all needs to be simplified. It was so easy when Seth owned the server and I was lead dev. I had file access and put the plugins in the update folder and it was applied next server restart. I just don't understand how we have so many problems when fundamentally running a Minecraft network isn't hard. From my experience, the longer you don't update things, the harder it gets to upgrade in the future. Working with video on the huge EssentialsX update was good. It was done fast, it was merged quickly, and it was on the server in a week or so. I don't even know how to say this in a nice way but I felt like a lot of my requests regarding the Scissors infrastructure were basically ignored. The agent was offline for almost the entire span of it being on SN infrastructure and we had to use Fleeks server. I asked multiple times (waiting weeks in between) for updates and ultimately I just put it back on my server instead. Stuff just doesn't get done infrastructure wise but I feel like it does plugin wise. Both need to happen and one side isn't happening. Give the infrastructure to me for crying out loud, I'd have the server on 1.19 tomorrow.

Scissors and tf are generally separate and right now I'm the only one other than yourself looking at the scissors stuff. And my life has been busy irl.

With plugins there has never been any actually strict requirements around them. Only that they are properly tested on the dev server before being promoted and Paldiu has the file access in both dev and prod to promote plugins. Tfm specifically the idea was to bundle up updates monthly so we had confidence an update was good (which was a problem under Seth and when I took over) and so we know what's changed.

There is an additional step now for malware scanning but plugin chances can move as quickly as Paldiu can sign those changes off.

I did want long term us to do more structured and planned development but that just never really worked even when we did it on simple more.

I'm going to bump this.

We originally made the Network Manager /ignore command /gignore as people wanted to have /ignore continue to be for Essentials in game. I'm happy to revert this change so those using Essentials ignore need to use /eignore but I don't want to do that just for people to complain again!

It shouldn't be, you can't create a poll as a reply, but you can in a new thread.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 19.56.07.png

I see, but it turns out it is the case for new threads as well:

poll.png

I tried different sections in case permissions were different in each. I did not see anywhere I could make a poll. Let me know if I have misunderstood!

So most boards / categories don't allow it, let me go through and make sure the ones where it makes sense to allow it, it's allowed