Posts by wild1145

As part of the 3 day break for the server and it's staff, I've taken this opportunity to move the Bungee / Proxy server for the network off of the legacy infrastructure it was hosted on, and onto newer and a ultimately more secure infrastructure.

As a result of this change the underlying IP address for TF has changed. This should not affect the majority of users using a TF owned and managed hostname to connect to the server, however for those that are connecting on their own DNS records, you will need to ensure if you do not simply CNAME to play.totalfreedom.me, that you re-resolve the IP address and update your records.

Given the circumstances that took place last night, and the continued issues with the way the community generally behaves over the last few months, I have spent a lot of the last 24 hours seriously considering if the time, cost and effort involved in maintaining this community is worth doing or if it's time to pull the plug on TF once and for all.

Now I'll also be clear, right now there have been no real reasons to keep this community running, which if I'm brutally honest with you all, has been the case for some time as we've seen declining player counts and the increase in poor behaviour targeting others in the community, it's hard to justify the relatively large cost, significant amount of time to do things right and effort ultimately to make changes in this community.

With all of this in mind, and in an effort to enable everyone in the community to take a step back, reflect, touch grass and ultimately decide if they think TF is worth saving. We will need to fundamentally change the way the community works, and that's going to involve some unpopular decisions, and removing some people from this community that have been here for a while. The combined community right now is toxic, and pushes new players away, while also harassing myself and others for trying to do what we believe is best for preserving TF for the future.

If folks don't feel TF is worth saving, we'll start a 1 month shut down process in the near future and we will all say goodbye for the last time towards the end of September.

UPDATE: It was a hoax, please see this post for more information - RE: CRITICAL SECURITY ALERT: Figura Mod Compromised & Used as Botnet

Within the last hour we have been made aware of a critical security issue with the figura mod that is being used both on TF and by a much wider Minecraft Modding community.

We are now aware that due to the ability for a remote server to send LUA scripts to execute, a number of people have had their IP's sent to an unauthorised party without their consent, and the figura team have set things up so users of figura can be used as a botnet, potentially resulting in criminal charges for anyone that is implicated in the bot net through having previously installed figura.

AS A MATTER OF CRITICAL URGENCY you need to uninstall and delete all traces of this mod, and run AV Scans from multiple reputable AV Scanner providers. You should also make every effort to reset your home routers IP address, in most cases powering down your router for 10-15 mins will do this. If it does not contact your ISP for support.

IN AN IDEAL WORLD AND FOR MAX SECURITY you need to do a full wipe of your current computers that have ever had figura installed on it and re-install from scratch restoring from a backup before figura

I'll start this thread with an acknowledgement, the acknowledgement that I'm not as active any more in the community as I both should and would like to be, life has been very very busy for me and TF had to take a back seat to accommodate this, my huge thanks to everyone that has stuck around, and to Video and the executive team for continuing to keep the ship afloat.

TF over the years has seen some significant shift in how it's ran, the player base, the community and fundamentally the appeal of the server itself. We started out many many years ago doing something very special, very unique and something that had never been done before, over the years this gap has closed, and today we're doing the same thing any of you could do with your own server, run a Freedom server.

What has continued to make TF unique over these years is it's community and it's values, we're one of the few servers that has never had any form of pay to play, where we don't accept donations and where we do a significant amount of our discussions and staff application process fully in the open.

I am starting to see a change in the community again, and one that we've seen in the not too distance past, and not one I am keen to see progress further, and it's progression further will lead to the end of this server.

So this is me, asking the community as a whole, help us all do better. We ultimately need new players to join us and help to naturally re-shape this server, else we risk repeating history again and that's not something I or this community can take.

While I won't be taking any direct action with regards to the server today, I will be watching closely and doing what I can to push through direct changes on the server with Video and the team.

I'll also say we do have a charter admin concept and something I've neglected to really update / modify since the thread was re-created over here. My personal view is the majority of admins while making a contribution, tend not to make such a significant contribution that they make it to the history books, and in the case they do there will be a wiki in the future for this sort of historic reference, using the charter system to flag not only admins that were essential to Mark's success of the server but also those like Steven for example who were critical in bringing us to where we are today feels to me like a better system.

I'd say the only relevant thing is the username history, idk if it's easy to cherry-pick it.

Network Manager should have all of that anyway.

I will say as a more general point, with the fact all worlds will have a hard world border to stop excessive disk space, most of this data is likely not going to be all that valuable so take that into consideration when voting.

This is an example of the file

I'm starting to build out the replacement Freedom-01 server with the fresh worlds. As part of this I have the option to retain all of the Essentials Player data (Though things like homes / spawns / warps will be deleted)

Is this something that would be valuable on a fresh server, or would you be content with a totally fresh start?

Poll open until the end of day on the 17th July.

This is an example of the file

I will also say, we will have a world border, so the vast majority of this information will not be of any actual value, the only thing that people might want is their nicknames but everything will be able to be customised anyway.