Posts by wild1145

@Panther#1284 TF as a setup doesn't crash all the time, we know that and have proved that. The issue is somewhere in our configuration of it more recently. The panel right now would be a waste of time, because admins would have no additional permissions to manage the server than they do now, but we get to expose another attack vector to the server while also adding additional overhead and taking a performance hit.

For the sake of admins wanting to start and stop the server, the discord bot is quicker and simpler, if admins aren't spotting the sever is down then that's not something the panel is going to fix.

As I've said to @Telesphoreo#1282 multiple times on this, I see no value in a panel right now and if and when that changes I would investigate what panel I feel is most suitable for what we want to do, the fact someone decided to deeply integrate tfm into pterodactyl in my view was a shirt sighted poor design decision and not something that should govern the future usage of the sever.

In short no. We've discussed this and I feel the way we have things setup now is better and more efficient. A panel is a waste of time and resources to start and stop a server and quite frankly the server shouldn't be crashing as often as it it, but yet it does.

The temp server we ran performed well and didn't crash so there's clearly something broken when how the main server is setup and configured and if time was spent investigating that instead of arguing with me over to panel or not to panel we may have actually had a more stable serve by now already.

I've had this conversation at length with you and some others and will post more info when it's not 5am

@Telesphoreo#1278 But that doesn't actually solve the issue... Because then warps just get deleted slower but still deleted.

The other options are to have pre defined warps anyone can overwrite or can't set at all. Or we have to lock it down per person... I can't see a cool down being effective or fixing this issue.

Only other option would be to have the "lock" on warps expire after say 12 hours or something but that still doesn't fix the issue imho

@Telesphoreo#1260 My current thought would be to basically end up implementing our own version of the warps system unless Essentials stores who created the warp..? Then just set it so if the warp exists it can only be overridden / changed / deleted by it's original creator or an admin?

My view is if all you want to do is chat from your phone then there are plenty of better apps out there you can install that already do it, and to build our own bespoke solution feels absolutely mad...

We also probably couldn't hook anything straight into Discord, as their T&C's would need to be applied still at the endpoint connecting (which would mean you still couldn't use it if you're under 13).

Unless there is a really good reason we'd want to do this, it just screams a bad idea from a design / architecture / security perspective when there are other companies out there that have done it already and would probably be able to do it better given they've got time and money to throw at it.

So the ranks is possibly partially my bad, I just copied peoples permissions off of Discord so if they don't have the IA Role there they wouldn't have here.

As for policies, tbh I wasn't given a lot of policies to re-post here so there will be a load of other ones missing as well.

As for IA as it stands, while yes I was a strong objector to it's original conception, however I also believe since speaking to Zevante about this in reasonable detail on how it had worked previously with Seth running things, that how it was originally conceived and it's original intended purpose verses what it ended up actually being used for are drastically different.

As it stands strictly speaking right now, nothing has changed in terms of IA, I've not personally mandated any changes be made to it's running or anything like that, and to be honest there are bigger things to deal with in my view than something which has been working well and serving it's purpose.

I'm not sure the fact the owners / senior members of the community being out of date is the end of the world, and your file would actively break the website because of the way it is now hosted (As would the website in general but that's a different point).

The website serves it's current purpose to signpost people to the forums / server, and if the admin list is slightly out of date then I don't think anyone is going to really moan too much about it? It's on my to-do list but so are 2000 other things and I'd rather not have a load of half arsed changes around the place.

In the interests of total transparency where it's practical to do so, I wanted to outline the current setup we have in place for access to the servers core infrastructure, along with information where it's hosted and anything that might be of interest I feel to the community so they know why some of these decisions were made how they were.

There is a list of exactly who are in the groups that grant such accesses (Where central group management is enabled) - Longer term I'll look to merge the posts into one, but I forgot I had written this one some time previous.

The Freedom Minecraft Server VPS (Live)

The Live Server has now been moved to form part of the panel, as a result this specific section is no longer valid.

The Freedom Minecraft Server VPS (Development Servers)

The Development Server(s) have now been moved to form part of the panel, as a result this specific section is no longer valid.

The Underlying Database Server(s)

Where we are using MySQL services, these currently connect to the ATLAS Corporate Database service where access is controlled as part of our corporate security policies. There will be no scope for other members of this community to have access to these services.

The Forums VPS

The VPS the forums runs on is only accessible to myself, and there is no current intention to grant other individuals access to this server.

The TotalFreedom Website

The website and forums have now merged. As a result this section is no logner valid.

Servers Under the Panel

Currently root and myself have full root access to the panel server, as well as "*.Infra" servers which is the node the MC Servers are actually running on. We will maintain patching / security at the platform layer.

Further to https://totalfreedom.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TN…+Account+Access which has now been put in place, it will be the responsibility of the game-mode / server owners to maintain an appropriate panel access list as and when we move servers onto the panel. They may chose to publish access lists / maintain them however they see fit.

Notes

I will attempt to keep this as up to date as I can, and the infrastructure configuration will change and evolve over time as I continue to understand the requirements we need for hosting, and as the ATLAS hosting business adapts and upgrades it's own infrastructure.

If you have any concerns around the access configuration, please reach out to me directly.

For anyone who is interested, I have previously written up some blog posts at a more technical level around some of the ATLAS access controls which you can find here:

AWS Lockdown Setup - https://blog.atlas-media.co.uk/2020/09/20/how…our-aws-estate/

VPN / SSO Setup - https://blog.atlas-media.co.uk/2020/10/10/vpn…these-problems/

One of the things I've realised since re-instating and becoming more active (And now running things) is that because we don't do the whole world map re-sets, we pull in schematics to restore and set as the spawn.

As of my look this morning, there are around 130 schematics on the server with the word "spawn" in it, so what I'd like to do in this thread is start to document those schematics and showcase what spawn's we have in place already. This way when I or another admin want to set a new spawn, we can come on this thread and pick out one they like.

So, the format I'd like is.

One schematic per post, and please keep comments about said schematics off this thread, I'm keen for this to be a bit of a catalogue of good spawn schematics that admins and players recommend. I look forward to seeing what you've got for me :)

@Telesphoreo#1149 Whatever you think is best then, I'm just looking at it more from an effort to get it working again if we do go to offline mode again (Which isn't something I'm concerning myself with majorly anyway atm but is a thought.). I'm happy to go with whatever works best for you.