New Conduct Policy Feedback

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I'm going to open this thread now up for public feedback. As far as I'm concerned we've generally covered all of the existing server conduct policy rules. Things relating to Discord and the forums may still be missing so I'd ask folks to focus around our in-game rules and feedback around if they feel this is clear enough.

I'll also say I have intentionally moved away from listing specific punishments and examples, because while admins found it useful, having a 20 page rules in game was just not helpful for anyone... I'd ask folks to properly read this and only then suggest changes if they think there is something missing.

EDIT: Only the bold headings will then be added to /rules in game, with a link back to this thread. Happy to also take feedback on tweaking the titles for the sections to make them more clear.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@'Ryan' As an extension to this things like auto-reconnect is generally not a major drama for us, but if you have it on while you’re banned / muted or while we have limited in-game slots, you may be subject to further sanctions.

I would say that this might fit better in section #2. Banned players autoreconnecting mainly affects the behind the scenes logs and could go down as disrespecting the server platform rather than making interactions awkward.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

@'Ryan' we would ask you do so away from spawn

This should be changed to a bigger number from the current one, which is 250.

Apart from that, I do like this new structure of the rules. It's a more casual approach and it's like someone is actually talking to you and explaining the rules we have here. I also think that with this new structure it provides a bit more leeway for how us admins can carry out sanctions in-game. Although sanctions will most likely stay the same, the rule structure gives us the ability to judge for the right sanction - something we've been able to do in the past, just with dispute.

Nice work.

You! This should be changed to a bigger number from the current one, which is 250.

Tbh I don't feel a direct number is the right way to go about things from experience. I've seen people build a border of upside down Ts a radius of 251 blocks away, but I've also seen nsfw builds further than 250 blocks that are easily viewable from spawn. I feel a small upside down T hidden behind a few other builds 230 blocks away from spawn shouldn't be more moderateable than a large nsfw build that's clearly visible from spawn but is 251 blocks away.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

You! This should be changed to a bigger number from the current one, which is 250.

I've intentionally kept it vague because the whole "X Blocks from Y" thing was more of a pain than it seemed to solve, it just encouraged trolls to sit at 251 blocks from spawn and advertise it to the entire server, so I wanted to keep it vague and generally discouraged, with ultimately the decision coming down to the staff online to apply appropriate moderation action (or none potentially) depending on context.

Wild1145

•   erin It sort of sits across a few, which was why I left it in "Don't be awkward" because yes it spams platform logs, but can also cock-block players from logging in or admins doing their job. Might have to have a think about re-wording / jigging it.

Wild1145

•   Alco_Rs11 As with any and all sanctions this will still apply:

Note - While we are formally removing the “Categories” of bans, the levels will likely still remain the same in terms of options for punishments. To help keep the actual guidelines as short and sensible as possible, we’re no longer breaking punishments down to the same level of detail as we previously have.

So effectively there is no major difference beyond giving admins the ability to use their judgement and common sense, but we will still provide more detailed guidance based off the current conduct policies to try to help apply a somewhat consistent bar to moderation action.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' This seems like it would just make the new guidelines dependent on the old ones, or would there be a more complete, "Staff Only" version of the guidelines with the previous level of detail?

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

•   Folfy_Blue The current server conduct policy will simply be moved to be staff only and re-phrased as a "starting point" as it were for admins to gauge appropriate moderation action. These guidelines will be what's enforced, experience and the existing guidelines will then be used to help decision making. These guidelines should and will stand on their own feet as it were without the need for supplementary guidance beyond this.

Wild1145