A guide for OPs on how to deal with a server crasher when admins are unavailable

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • As the admin count is low but the player count is high, I have created this small guide for OPs to refer to when they face situations (such as server crashers or griefers). I have used these commands as an OP myself and it's better to share them all with you guys so that you can help out when it's needed. Whether you intend to apply for admin or not, it does not matter, but this guide will help if you don't have an admin available.

Before you do any of the things below, make sure to run the following command:
    /d falling_block water
    This command will hide you, and you won't come up in /invis either so no OP can track you. Make sure to also run:
    /tptoggle

If an OP attempts to harm the server, they will either:

• Create a crash chunk
    • Columbus grief (flying into a direction at high speeds with intention to crash the server)
    • Crash the server with an exploit (such as lag machines)
    • Crash the server with entity spam (such as Minecart or Egg spam)

Remember that if the TPS is dropping, it may not be what you think it is (for eg it may not be columbus griefing). Once you've toggled your disguise and your teleportation, teleport to each person and see what they are doing.

Crash Chunks

Unless you can reach the crash chunk, there is not much you can do. However, if you can go near but keep distance, and manage to move, then make sure you take a screenshot and report it on the forum or to an online admin with the location (press F3+C to copy it).

Columbus Grief

Columbus griefers can be caught if you teleport to each person on the server. If you find that you can't TP to one, don't assume that they're doing the columbus griefing unless you are certain. If you find the person, try and stop them somehow and report it to an admin.

Lag Machines

If you find a lag machine, or some sort of redstone contraption that is lagging the server, disable it by breaking one block or line of redstone and then inspect it by switching on the inspection tool (/ins). Left click on the blocks (as if you're breaking it) to find out who created it. Screenshot and post on the forum in the player conduct report section. Stick by the lag machine for a while and if needed keep stopping it.

Entity Spam

One of the most common things that are used to crash the server are Minecarts. As these are placed, they spam entities. This may also be done with eggs, or any other throw-able item such as snowballs.

Firstly, run /wh minecart (replace minecart with the item as required). This will tell you who has the item. Once you have found out, teleport to each person that has it and see who is spamming it. They will most likely be placing them on a rail. Run /ins and left click on the rail to find out who placed the rail, screenshot (with the rail and minecarts), then file a player conduct report. Surround the rail with lava and push the minecarts into the lava. This will burn them and thus remove entities.

I hope this helps when an admin isn't available. Thanks for reading!