Auto Restart or another idea

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I would like to suggest we add an auto-restart system to the server. The reason being that between the hours of 7AM-1PM GMT, the server stops around every 20 minutes, even with no players on.

There is also an idea (by xPkz_) of granting certain trusted members of the Discord access to restart the server via the bot, but this idea comes with obvious issues that I'm sure we can all understand. However, I would like to open both of mine and Poke's idea to the community. This idea could also work if it were given to certain ex-admins, instead of OPs who were never admin.

The reason behind these two suggestions is because many of the admins that were available at this time of day were either suspended or removed a few days ago. This therefore left very few admins available. The ones that help us out the most are lyicx and nick, but they, like the other admins, also have daily lives to go to. It's getting to a frustrating point for both OPs and Admins. Therefore, I open both ideas above to the community.

• I'm hoping once we shift Freedom-01 to the new infrastructure a lot of those problems should go away.

I am also in the process (Though I've not had as much time as I'd have liked due to the new infrastructure) of re-writing the scripts to handle re-starts and stuff a bit better, and to let Spigot auto restart itself when it detects it's crashing.

IMHO the biggest issue I've observed is people chatting in server chat and not seeing / noticing / bothering to re-start the server when it's clearly offline. Due to the way the server works and fact that we're killing it too often as it is (And thus losing data like CoreProtect data that hasn't been written yet due to a shit plugin design) I don't really want us to be giving more people that ability, or trying to automate stuff that shouldn't be automated in this way.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@wild1145#7475 IMHO the biggest issue I've observed is people chatting in server chat and not seeing / noticing / bothering to re-start the server when it's clearly offline.

I can see where you're coming from with this, but usually @elmon's bot doesn't give the warning 'Server has stopped' like it used to whenever the server crashed, so no one really notices it.

• @Ashaz#7476 The fact the chat dies should be the give away... I've seen it when there's been 10+ players on and chat suddenly drops and people just have ignored it... Hell people have been discussing stuff with people IG and just ignore it...

Wild1145

• This is going to be declined, we should really not be auto restarting the servers where we can help it, as there are often good reasons it's down, and the more often we kill it and force the process to end, the more times we run into issues with CoreProtect missing data... I'm looking at a few options that Spigot supports to re-jig the scripts but beyond that we should encourage players to temporarily join the other server while we try to gracefully shut down the server that has crashed / gone down.

Wild1145