Remove the rule where if an OP spams commands they don't get smoten.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Sometimes, OPs might spam commands like //set 0. Unless the action is actually harming the server (such as continuously reloading a certain plugin continuously in an attempt to crash the server), OPs shouldn't be punished for spamming commands. The scenario about crashing the server already falls under section 1.

I just think it's unfair for an OP to be smote for such a simple thing as spamming a command. No warning should even be given.

I would like to know people's thoughts on this.

• The reason this is a thing is because it obstructs the ability for administrators to effectively administrate when their screen and logs are spammed.

There is no need for spamming these sorts of things in the first place imho...

Object.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I'm not sure if you're aware, but admins have access to this thing called "commandspy", and spamming commands spams chat for anyone with it on.

Plainly there's legitimate reasons to have it on (assuming you aren't always on telnet, or even if you are because of console crashes), and most admins have it on literally all the time.

Most commands have ways to use them multiple times without using them multiple times anyway.

Object.

(oops ninja'd but whatever)

• The reason why the rule is in place to stop the flooding of commandspy so an admin doesn't miss out on people running fairly sketchy commands or things happening in the chat.

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• "Because it spams my cmdspy" is a shit reason. I think we should value 'freedom' above a small inconvenience for Admins. Name is "Total Freedom" afterall.

I would understand if the commands are actually somehow lagging the server, but if it's just because they like using //set 0 or some shit, then I don't see any point in banning that. If going by this logic, then I should have been sanctioned a multitude of a times as well.

Why would anybody ever intentionally spam a "useless" command like /ping? The only reason I can come up with is text-book Reactance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactance_(psychology) , which would mean that simply banning this behaviour would just cause more of it to happen. Telling people that it's not allowed to spam commands would have the exact opposite of the intended effect.

Vouch.

• Object. If this change was made, it would be very easy (and I know because I used to do it) to spam commands for very little purpose other than to be a pest. I think Darth has a good method though, especially for those who don't appear to be spamming commands to cause trouble.

• Admins will smite you when theres 2 people on, nobody typing, just because you are "spamming" their command spy

the rule originated when the server was maxed out on players with everyone running commands. Lets be honest. If i do //set 0 5 times, and theres 10 people on, thats not flooding your command spy. You should have the reading capability still use cmdspy effectively. If you dont want your cmdspy flooded just because you want to see whats happening in chat, then just disable it lol

isnt that insane that you could literally be minding your own business, creating something with world edit, and be punished?

• I expect admins to have the common sense to only apply this if someone is clearly attempting to troll by flooding your command spy or if it is genuinely getting to the point where you can't effectively read command spy (and not punish players if they weren't intentionally trying to flood your cmdspy, just tell them to stop...)

• Vouch

I've seen admins warn for 5 commands sent in a period of around 15 seconds. This is pretty unessesary as there are many circumstances in where this kind of command usage would occur.

The only time I see this rule useful is when someone is flooding chat to where an admin has trouble administrating, which is uncommon.

• I am going to object because it sounds like this is a problem in the admins' minds and not in the conduct policy. The rule itself is still necessary because without it, we cannot punish spammers that are flooding the logs beyond reasonable limits but not lagging the server.

Edit: see below.

• Think we've established this is a fair rule to have in place, and it is also covered under other rules indirectly. Declined.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK