[QUICK POLL] With the new Freedom-01 Server, would you like your essentials data wiped or retained?

• Official Post

Would you like your essentials player data wiped or retained? 21

1. Wiped (13) 62%
    2. Retained (8) 38%

I'm starting to build out the replacement Freedom-01 server with the fresh worlds. As part of this I have the option to retain all of the Essentials Player data (Though things like homes / spawns / warps will be deleted)

Is this something that would be valuable on a fresh server, or would you be content with a totally fresh start?

Poll open until the end of day on the 17th July.

This is an example of the file

I will also say, we will have a world border, so the vast majority of this information will not be of any actual value, the only thing that people might want is their nicknames but everything will be able to be customised anyway.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

Edited once, last by wild1145: Added more info that is in the replies (July 16, 2023 at 10:15 PM).

• This is an example of the file

• I'd say the only relevant thing is the username history, idk if it's easy to cherry-pick it.

Network Manager should have all of that anyway.

I will say as a more general point, with the fact all worlds will have a hard world border to stop excessive disk space, most of this data is likely not going to be all that valuable so take that into consideration when voting.

• Nuke warps but keep player data.

A lot of the warps are troll warps with no real purpose, but active player data such as homes, etc. should be retained.

Homes shouldn't make a great difference given there won't be the map transfered.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Going through the individual items listed from the example file, assuming that no other players has additional information in the file:

1. lastlocation and logoutlocation is the easiest to eliminate. Due to the complete world(s) reset there is little to no point to keep specific coordinates intact. There is no use for specific homes set for interesting terrain in the Overworld as well, since that will not exist (or may be generated under a different seed).
    2. Timestamps are useless - the only interesting fact is that it remembers last time you used a specific Essentials' kit, which, we quite obviously don't use.
    3. AFK status is temporary.
    4. godmode and teleportenabled can be changed with one command.
    5. money holds no value, and can be changed with one command as well.
    6. I don't think nicknames would be too hard to recreate either, given the amount of tools discovered by other players (FZMM, birdflop), or just the tools we have provided (nickgradient, nickrainbow).
    7. There's no specific reason why we have to store IP addresses and username histories with Essentials, and I don't think our current operations relies on this. If anyone on the development side has something to say about this though, I'm sure the rest of us would love to hear it.

Hence I see nothing of note that requires us to retain this specific file. As usual, though, I'm open to discussion if any of you feels like I brushed over something or a specific entry is quite useful for your own purposes, and if that's the case, I hope you can let all of us know.

C'est la vie

• only things I care about are nickname and tag tbh

pretty sure admins' custom login messages aren't part of Essentials, but I'd like those to stay as well, just putting it out there

Gommeh

Super Admin - January 15, 2015

Super Telnet Admin (rip) - May 15, 2015

Senior Admin - July 19, 2020

Discord Moderator - July 19, 2023

Developer - July 26, 2023