What are your opinions on Microsoft

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I love Microsoft!! I appreciate their efforts on making Minecraft family friendly by doing awesome stuff like banning guns😱 and adding chat filter 😎,,I hope they buy my favorite apps like discord and make them better, they made my favorite PC (Windows 10), i use it for gaming every day

>w< pat me pleasee pat mee pleaseeeeee

• they have some really good open source software, but their closed source software always seems to be terrible. i just can't get myself to use windows anymore. would be nice if they rewrote it without worrying about compatibility with legacy applications so that most people using computers had a better experience without having to switch platforms.

• I like Visual Studio Code, GitHub, Microsoft Flight Simulator and Minecraft.

That's about it. Every other Microsoft software (and hardware!) I've used has been either mundane (Xbox, LinkedIn, C#, Visual C++) or terrible (Windows, Azure, DirectX, NuGet).

• I don't trust nor do I like Microsoft. They went back on their word that Windows 10 would be the very last operating system they'd make, killed support for otherwise perfectly capable hardware, intentionally blocked updates for newer CPUs on Windows 7 and 8 to force people to use Windows 10, shitcanned an internal testing team that would have ironed out bugs or other visual inconsistencies in favor of their "insider preview" system which makes the users the testers (I'm betting it was to save money), track the everlasting fuck out of you, intentionally released an extremely incomplete version of Windows hoping that people wouldn't notice (people certainly did, much to Microsoft's dismay), copied design principles from MacOS and ChromeOS (namely the fucking centered taskbar, why the hell would you change something that has been a staple of your operating system for literally decades?), and much much more.

Especially in recent times, they made their operating system increasingly invasive and disruptive by controlling how you use your own fucking computer to prevent you from doing things that they don't want you doing, including (but not limited to):

• Removing Microsoft Edge
    • Using a web browser that isn't Microsoft Edge
    • Setting your title bar to be fully black
    • Having your taskbar somewhere that isn't at the bottom of the screen
    • Deciding when your computer should restart for updates
    • Setting up and using the operating system without requiring a Microsoft account
    • Preventing them from collecting data about you and how you use the computer that you bought without your consent
    • Stopping them from installing fucking Candy Crush Soda Saga on your computer without your consent

When you buy something, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want with it. You own it. If you want to get rid of the default garbage web browser that your operating system comes with because you have your own browser installed, you should be able to do so without any bullshit. I understand that some of these are intended to protect the user from doing something stupid that would brick or otherwise fuck over their computer, but the bullshit related to using other browsers, having a black title bar, not having your every move tracked and sold to advertisers, or not having shit shoved down your throat is inexcusable. That should be the user's choice, not Microsoft's.

image.png

• I don't trust nor do I like Microsoft. They went back on their word that Windows 10 would be the very last operating system they'd make, killed support for otherwise perfectly capable hardware, intentionally blocked updates for newer CPUs on Windows 7 and 8 to force people to use Windows 10, shitcanned an internal testing team that would have ironed out bugs or other visual inconsistencies in favor of their "insider preview" system which makes the users the testers (I'm betting it was to save money), track the everlasting fuck out of you, intentionally released an extremely incomplete version of Windows hoping that people wouldn't notice (people certainly did, much to Microsoft's dismay), copied design principles from MacOS and ChromeOS (namely the fucking centered taskbar, why the hell would you change something that has been a staple of your operating system for literally decades?), and much much more.

Especially in recent times, they made their operating system increasingly invasive and disruptive by controlling how you use your own fucking computer to prevent you from doing things that they don't want you doing, including (but not limited to):

• Removing Microsoft Edge
    • Using a web browser that isn't Microsoft Edge
    • Setting your title bar to be fully black
    • Having your taskbar somewhere that isn't at the bottom of the screen
    • Deciding when your computer should restart for updates
    • Setting up and using the operating system without requiring a Microsoft account
    • Preventing them from collecting data about you and how you use the computer that you bought without your consent
    • Stopping them from installing fucking Candy Crush Soda Saga on your computer without your consent

When you buy something, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want with it. You own it. If you want to get rid of the default garbage web browser that your operating system comes with because you have your own browser installed, you should be able to do so without any bullshit. I understand that some of these are intended to protect the user from doing something stupid that would brick or otherwise fuck over their computer, but the bullshit related to using other browsers, having a black title bar, not having your every move tracked and sold to advertisers, or not having shit shoved down your throat is inexcusable. That should be the user's choice, not Microsoft's.

i fucking called the essay lmao

Admin // Hub Moderator // Master Builder

Incredibly awesome duck.

• True you could do better videogamesm12 go make that essay 10x longer right NOW

He could always ask ChatGPT if he can't be bothered

I gotchu covered fam

I harbor a significant degree of skepticism, verging on mistrust, towards Microsoft. Despite their previous promise that Windows 10 would mark the finale in their operating system lineup, a declaration captured by The Verge in 2015 (Warren, 2015), they reneged on that vow. Moreover, their decision to prematurely terminate support for functional hardware and to deliberately block updates for newer CPUs on Windows 7 and 8 was perceived by many as a push to strong-arm consumers into adopting Windows 10 (Hachman, 2017).

Adding insult to injury, Microsoft jettisoned an internal testing team, a vital group that could have assiduously eliminated bugs and visual irregularities. Instead, they've opted for their "Insider Preview" system, essentially transforming end-users into beta testers, a shift publicly critiqued by tech commentators on platforms such as YouTube (TechLinked, 2023). Their invasive data tracking mechanisms have drawn sharp criticism, with 'eye-opening' levels of telemetry reported in Windows 11 (Cunningham, 2023). Furthermore, the release of an evidently undercooked version of Windows has proven a source of widespread discontent, much to Microsoft's chagrin.

Their apparent plagiarism of design principles from MacOS and ChromeOS, particularly the controversial decision to centralize the taskbar, feels like a slap in the face to their loyal user base. After all, why tamper with a feature that has remained integral to your operating system for decades?

In recent years, they've amplified the intrusive and disruptive tendencies of their operating system. In essence, they've started dictating how users interact with their own machines, precluding actions such as removing Microsoft Edge, utilizing a non-Microsoft web browser, customizing the title bar's color, modifying the taskbar position, deciding the timing of update restarts, and operating the system without the requirement of a Microsoft account.

Perhaps most egregiously, they're assertively collecting user data and installing applications like Candy Crush Soda Saga without explicit consent. As an owner of a product, one should hold the liberty to dictate its utilization. If you wish to uninstall the preloaded web browser and use your preferred one instead, you should have the freedom to do so without unnecessary impediments.

While I understand that some restrictions are implemented to prevent users from unintentionally damaging their systems, the overarching practices related to browser preferences, customization options, invasive tracking, and unsolicited software installations are simply indefensible. These decisions should fall within the purview of the user, not be decided unilaterally by Microsoft. Notably, the problematic UI inconsistencies in the new version of Windows have been meticulously documented by technology enthusiasts (NTDEV, 2023), further marring the user experience.

Bibliography

Cunningham, D. (2023, February 20). Is Windows 11 spying on you? New report details ‘eye-opening’ levels of telemetry. TechRadar. https://www.techradar.com/news/is-window…ls-of-telemetry

Community User. (2023, April 1). Windows 11 Product Name in Registry. Microsoft Community. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/…ame-in-registry

Hachman, M. (2017, April 13). Microsoft blocks Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs from Windows 7, 8 updates. PCWorld. https://www.pcworld.com/article/406434…81-updates.html

NTDEV. (2023, January 1). State of the Windows: How many layers of UI inconsistencies are in Windows 11? NTDOTDEV. https://ntdotdev.wordpress.com/2023/01/01/sta…-in-windows-11/

TechLinked. (2023, July 5). Microsoft’s MASSIVE Mistake. [Video]. YouTube.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Warren, T. (2015, May 7). Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 ‘the last version of Windows’. The Verge. https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/85684…sion-of-windows

Gommeh

Super Admin - January 15, 2015

Super Telnet Admin (rip) - May 15, 2015

Senior Admin - July 19, 2020

Discord Moderator - July 19, 2023

Developer - July 26, 2023

• If more people developed shit for other OSes than always making Windows their main focus (Most of my work apps do but 3rd party softwares related to them favour Windows), I'd easily switch.

The fact that they just can't sit their asses down and decide on one signature design philosophy (changing to a centralised taskbar and copying the flat minimalist colours bullshit from every other OS) pisses me off. I won't fault them too much for issues when it comes to managing your PC's drivers, components and other external hardware/software cause with something as widely used as Windows optimisation is bound to be lacklustre but they're a corporate giant so it's kinda pathetic they can't do it better. Fucking hilarious how they tried to buy off Discord when it killed of their precious Skype (not like Discord is a saint but it's still funny to see them telling Microsoft to fuck off). Xbox's infamous Red Ring of Death scared me shitless as a kid so fuck them for that. I'm also really sure it's their corporate shareholder kissing asses that keep making the god awful EULA and moderation changes to Minecraft and who dictate how much the devs can release every update so they can slow down features and keep milking update ideas with part 2s and part 3s.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.