"Usernames are evolving"

• One of the co-founders wants it and isn't interested in community's feedback.

He may be forced to pause the change only if too many people are cancelling Nitro over it.

Otherwise, it's a lost battle.

We know this is kinda like other apps, but that's the point.

Flawed logic. Discord's success was from being different. Having a lot of apps that are "same, but different, but still same" means every single one will eventually collapse until the one with the most money remains!

(Spoiler alert: it'll be either Alphabet/Google or Meta/Facebook.)

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Can't wait to take the username "Lyicx" before Lyicx can.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Official Post

Moronic decision by moronic management. Who asked for this? Discord's current system allows for 9999 people to have a single username, which means that name-sniping isn't anywhere near the scale of, say, the Minecraft community. But no, apparently Discord needed to continue their long-running tradition of fixing what wasn't broken by devolving into yet another generic chat platform where the name-sniping scene is sky-high.

What a joke. Hopefully a competitor will squash them in the future.

• I honestly might go back to using that if this shit gets pushed.

It's pretty good. One of my only issues with it is that it doesn't support Push to Talk in voice calls, but apparently "conference calls" support it, or something. Not a biggie, though.

I don't really use Push to Talk anyway so that's a plus for me :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :) :) :) :)

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• Official Post

image.png

This is absolute bullcrap. I'm sorry, but there are much better ways to get around this. Steam is a good example of this, they use friend codes or URLs instead.

I always liked the current system because:

1)More people can have the same username if they wished

2)Its safer with the discriminator too imo

3)Removes a good nitro perk

• Oh fuck, now that you mentioned it I just realised their plan is to lock name changes behind nitro or add a wait period if you're non-nitro.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Absolutely Hate It, Will Definitely cause a lot of Discord Identity Scams
    Discriminators - Is like your Social Security for Discord

We don't need this but we're getting it anyway
    So Much For Coming Together as a community and voting :/

Discord Controls it all Of Course we have no say :P
    - we can do nothing - :thumbdown:

Discriminators - Is that person who they say they are?

EMPHACKS

• It's happening, Discord's staff (well the ones I could spot in the Discord Town Hall) is already using the new usernames.

Interestingly enough, some are appending a . at the end

• It's time to accept that Discord has successfully isolated their core user base (gamers) by repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot with these updates. They have been trying to escape the taboo of being the "gamer" platform for quite some time now. I don't know why they're still doing this, honestly... if they just embraced the "by gamers, for gamers" attitude they had before they'd be in a much better place right now. As a company, they're now in an awkward position where they have isolated their core audience and also failed to become acceptable in a mainstream context. Think of what happens when you mention Discord to your friends in real life - nobody wants to use it because they want to avoid the "discord mod" stigma. There are changes to the platform that should have been made to get rid of that stigma, but the changes that have actually happened have been in all the wrong places.

• Think of what happens when you mention Discord to your friends in real life - nobody wants to use it because they want to avoid the "discord mod" stigma. There are changes to the platform that should have been made to get rid of that stigma

Screenshot_2023-05-17-18-26-37-627_com.discord-edit.jpg

• Screenshot_2023-05-17-18-26-37-627_com.discord-edit.jpg

Oggi Alle

• It's time to accept that Discord has successfully isolated their core user base (gamers) by repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot with these updates. They have been trying to escape the taboo of being the "gamer" platform for quite some time now. I don't know why they're still doing this, honestly... if they just embraced the "by gamers, for gamers" attitude they had before they'd be in a much better place right now. As a company, they're now in an awkward position where they have isolated their core audience and also failed to become acceptable in a mainstream context. Think of what happens when you mention Discord to your friends in real life - nobody wants to use it because they want to avoid the "discord mod" stigma. There are changes to the platform that should have been made to get rid of that stigma, but the changes that have actually happened have been in all the wrong places.

This is what happens when a platform doesn't listen to its userbase. Granted, if I were Discord, I wouldn't exactly listen to them either since they take issue with anything that the platform does, however some of the criticism offered by Discord's userbase is entirely valid.

This recent name system change is a great example of that. I can guarantee you that nobody who uses Discord ever asked for the username system to be changed. It already worked fine as is. I'd be willing to wager if Discord had just added global display names, there wouldn't have been as much controversy surrounding the change.

All of these recent ill-advised changes/additions are what happens when you start blindly agreeing to everything your shareholders/investors suggest, who have probably never touched a social media platform outside of Facebook. Of course, I do want to see Discord grow and more features be added to the platform, however all of the recent additions have been absolutely terrible, or Nitro-exclusives. It's like, can you make it any less bleedingly obvious that your vision is obscured by wads of cash?

I remember when it felt like the people at Discord knew what they were doing with their own platform. Now it feels like they're driving, out-of-control, into a tree.

Discord will continue to gradually push terrible features/changes like this, until it becomes the next Skype or TeamSpeak.