[April Fools 2023] Launch Announcement: TF NFTs

• The following post was published on April 1st 2023 as an April fools prank to the community. This announcement is not legitimate beyond being an April fools joke.

Hi Folks, it's been a little while since I've had the time to give you an all an update on the huge amount of work the team and I are doing behind the scenes here, and I'm really proud to be able to announce today the launch of a new line of NFTs dedicated to TF and the TF Network as a whole.

As many of you will already be aware, I'm a huge supporter of the potential that NFTs have both for communities like ours, as well as a huge variety of creative lines, and it's why this announcement is so significant for us, and puts us a step forward to being able to have TF be self sufficient from a funding perspective.

I've been working with select members of the executive team for the last year or so on bringing this to life, and am pleased to announce the two main areas we are focusing all of our future effort into going forward.

TF Created NFTs

We will be growing our creative team (Currently primarily master builders) to bring in artists and creatives that will enable us to create TF original NFTs which we can then sell back into the community. These NFTs will start at £15 once we launch in July of 2023. These NFTs will vary in their theme throughout the year starting with our summer vacation theme which will land with our first wave. In addition to the theme variation, we intent to launch various limited edition items including content variations of our logo, as well as month specific NFTs for special events (December for example would have a Christmas themed NFT that is also exclusive for December 2023)

Schematics

With immediate effect we are hereby suspending all current development efforts indefinitely and will continue to rely on ViaVersion to enable us to work on a brand new concept never before seen in a Minecraft community.

We will be converting all existing Schematics as well as any newly created schematics into restricted assets as NFTs, once this change is complete you will only be able to select and paste a schematic if your Minecraft profile (Linked to your forum profile linked to one of our approved NFT Marketplaces) verifies you hold current ownership of the NFT. We will also be fully blocking the ability to delete or otherwise share these schematics in other ways including removing them from the HTTPD endpoint shortly.

We will also with this change be enforcing a minimum number of schematics per month from all past and present master builders, which will require 15 quality schematics per month. Failure to meet this target will result in an indefinite ban.

We will be selling these NFTs for £12.50 each with the ability for users to then sell these on if they so choose. There will be no upper limit for the asking price of such items.

Our developers will be working hard over the coming weeks to make this a reality and I'm so excited for this to launch.

Why?

As many of you will be aware, TF has never accepted donations and costs a significant amount of money to operate. Our launch of NFT technology both brings us into the present day of tech as well as enabling us to be provided with a source of income which doesn't require pay to play or advertisements in game.

I hope you will join me in welcoming these changes, and I'm so very excited to see this launch!

----------

Replies to this thread have been disabled to ensure the thread is not taken off topic. Thank you for your understanding.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

Edited once, last by wild1145: Added clarity that this was April fools (April 1, 2023 at 10:41 PM).

• What the fuck is this?

Why the fuck are we making donations practically mandatory? What's next, are we going to paywall WorldEdit and Essentials commands? Are we seriously going to make the server (which has been running for nearly 12 years without donations) into yet another fucking pay to win garbage server with subscription services and mandatory NFT payments? I joined this server in 2013 and have continued playing partially because this server is unique like that.

Also, why the fuck are we selling other people's builds? That's a slap in the face to anyone who put a huge amount of effort into their builds on the server. I swear, I feel like this violates some section of the Mojang EULA, probably isn't fully legal, and goes against the very foundation of this server.

This is a really fucking stupid concept in every single way imaginable, and I don't even know how you thought this was a good idea.

• What the fuck is this?

The only chance we have of being able to continue to run this server long term.

Why the fuck are we making donations practically mandatory?

We aren't, we're not enabling donations at all. We're enabling people to exchange a virtual item for real life currency. Something that's been done elsewhere time and time again.

What's next, are we going to paywall WorldEdit and Essentials commands?

I hope it doesn't come to that, but the reality is we need to cover our server costs and we don't right now.

Are we seriously going to make the server (which has been running for nearly 12 years without donations) into yet another fucking pay to win garbage server with subscription services and mandatory NFT payments?

It's not pay to win, there is no winning in TotalFreedom, likewise NFT purchase isn't mandatory to play and build.

Also, why the fuck are we selling other people's builds? That's a slap in the face to anyone who put a huge amount of effort into their builds on the server. I swear, I feel like this violates some section of the Mojang EULA, probably isn't fully legal, and goes against the very foundation of this server.

Having undertaken legal consultation they're building on my companies own assets, and as a result we own all artwork completed on the server. It's my content to sell as and how I wish. If I want to auction it to the highest bidder that's my right to do so. If people don't like it, they can pay for their own server.

This is a really fucking stupid concept in every single way imaginable, and I don't even know how you thought this was a good idea.

I think my post clearly explains why it's a good idea. The tech behind NFTs are awesome and give us a lot of flexibility to create a long term revenue stream from these items. A lot of people love using them because they were a fad for a while, it's a win win win win for us!

• wild1145 April 1, 2023 at 10:39 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Launch Announcement: TF NFTs” to “[April Fools 2023] Launch Announcement: TF NFTs”.
  • wild1145 April 1, 2023 at 10:41 PM

Opened the thread.
  • This could have been much more convincing if you didn't claim to enslave Master Builders to create schematic NFT's otherwise they'd be indefinitely banned lmao.

That was sorta the point. Wanted to make it clear enough it's april fools without making it entirely obvious.

• Video this is where we all laugh at u

It's funny you mention that, because the plan for April Fools was actually supposed to be more elaborate than it turned out. We were supposed to orchestrate a whole ass server deletion where after Ryan would get blasted for claiming to be integrating NFTs into the server, he'd fake a deletion of the server Seth-style. What followed would have been a fake takeover by yours truly where I was supposed to "negotiate" with Ryan to keep the server running. I was just going by the script. Since people quickly saw through the prank though, none of it actually happened.

• Video this is where we all laugh at u

It's funny you mention that, because the plan for April Fools was actually supposed to be more elaborate than it turned out. We were supposed to orchestrate a whole ass server deletion where after Ryan would get blasted for claiming to be integrating NFTs into the server, he'd fake a deletion of the server Seth-style. What followed would have been a fake takeover by yours truly where I was supposed to "negotiate" with Ryan to keep the server running. I was just going by the script. Since people quickly saw through the prank though, none of it actually happened.

Should've actually deleted the server like Seth did, would've actually been funny