Question for those working in the computer science industry or related

• This post is more for those in the UK, but if you’re anywhere else your advice is still welcome!

I’m currently studying A Level Compsci, Maths and Chemistry. I aspire to study Software Engineering at University. Here is where my request comes in for advice:

I would like to prove that I am able to simply program, and I want to enhance my personal statement so it proves that I can do well as a software engineer. Would making a portfolio of my projects on a personal domain be worth it? I’ve got a personal domain and it wouldn’t be too much effort - it would also be something I can hand over to people to have a look into.

I really wanna do well for myself and I want to make sure I do things right. Any advice is appreciated!

• I think *it depends*. I think in all honesty if you're set on going to Uni, it'll make very little difference if you make it onto a grad scheme at a company but I would say having some sort of portfolio (Either custom domain or personally I suggest using LinkedIn to show work experience and projects) is no bad thing, and is good if in the future you want to do freelancer type work / similar.

If you're less set on the Uni route and an Apprenticeship / similar is a potential vibe, then I'd say a portfolio or some sort is probably a bit more important. Even if it's not an official portfolio, having some open source projects or contributions to open source projects are good things you can point at to prove hands on experience, but from experience as a mentor to graduates in large companies before you expect them to come in effectively thick as shit with 0 hands on knowledge, and most of their hands on experience is useless because it's 5-10 years old so if you're looking to prove active hands on experience rather than the theory side of things, a portfolio (Again ideally not on your own domain as an interviewer at a large company is 100% not going to open links to someone's website, but if you're looking at smaller startup's / similar it might be good)

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Heyo, long time member and lurker here.

Whilst not the UK, I've gotten roles in some of Australia's biggest tech companies so I might be of some assistance.

I've found that doing lots of interesting personal projects with up to date technologies looks really good on a portfolio for potential employers. If you don't have one already, I think Github > LinkedIn simply because by putting your projects there you are showing a few things. One of which is that you can use version control and git related technologies.

My good friend Nicholas wrote a blog post about "Getting That Grad/Intern Role" that I have found IMMENSELY useful. Whilst this was written with an Australian market bias, you might find it can apply to your area too. https://blog.ndl.im/getting-that-grad-or-intern-position/