Request for proper verification measures in the Discord server

• Hello, I’d like to reach out to make a request due to late events where raiders joined the Discord server and posted explicit, disturbing content in there (images depicting mutilated bodies is the little I could see), in possible attempts of causing mental harm to members of the community (it’s a 13+ server so it could have caused real harm if there were more people at the moment, which wasn’t the case)

My request consists of adding *at least basic* verification measures to the Discord server to prevent raiders from joining or banned players from evading bans. This could be done in a variety of ways such as reimplementing in-game verification or adding an IP verification bot to prevent VPN and alts. An instance of the latter is the Double Counter bot, which is used for verifying that users are not accessing the server using multiple accounts. It allows the staff to set multiple actions, such as tracking the identities of alternate accounts based on their IP, or denying access to alternate accounts altogether. Additionally, it has the ability of detecting VPN usage, so it’d do a good job restricting raiders from joining and banned players from evading their bans.

I’d also like to say that although verification measures are really important for the server, legitimate members should be minimally affected by these, and for that to be possible I suggest that either only newly created accounts undergo verification, or for verification measures to be enabled only when deemed necessary by the Staff team, such as when raids can be anticipated (Which I believe was the case in the latest raid, since the Minecraft server was suspected to have been subjected to DDOS attacks prior to the Discord raid).

Another preventive method to keep raids like the latest from taking place again is by restricting the permission of sending media in the server, this could be done by requiring accounts to be for x time in the server before being able to send media or by adding a levels system based on chat activity (most Discord servers have the latter), this would be a great way of making raiding more difficult without causing trouble for legitimate members.

(TL;DR below)

I’ll include a summarized list of the ideas I suggested to make it easier for you to decide your viewpoint on this suggestion:

- Add an in-game verification for accessing the Discord server

- Add an IP verification on Discord to stop ban evading and raiding

- Make the 2 ideas above only applicable for users with newly created accounts

- Enable verification only when the Staff team expects raids to take place

- Require accounts to be in the server for a certain time before they can send media

- Require accounts to engage with the community before they can send media

Please note that the way that I suggest these ideas to happen, it would cause little to no trouble to legitimate members, and it'd make it more difficult for raiders to cause trouble in the server so I strongly believe that this would be very beneficial for us.

I also encourage the Staff team to correct my ideas in the way they see most appropriate for the server as these can probably be improved to either be more effective or make a better experience for legitimate members.

>w< pat me pleasee pat mee pleaseeeeee

• Rightio so i’ve been busy for the past few days and have some time now

reimplementing in-game verification

discord iirc actually has brought in some form of verification with other websites. We could link the forum to discord but i’m gonna look at that when its actually released

adding an IP verification bot to prevent VPN and alts.

i will not be doing this im afraid

I suggest that either only newly created accounts undergo verification,

Actually we have this and this thread reminded me of such

restricting the permission of sending media in the server,

i will look into doing this

adding a levels system based on chat activity

not a huge fan of this tbh

tl;dr i’ll look into restricting media & reimplementing manual verification if this continues

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• Not a big fan of the levels system or IP verification because. A. a level system just sounds pointless and restricting stuff because you aren't high level just sounds like you have to be on discord everyday just to grind levels and it pings you everytime you go up a level and it's annoying B. IP verification is dumb because what If you get a new router and yours breaks or your moving or you are on the go and want to talk via mobile data and everytime you would want to talk you would have to verify everytime it would just be pointless anyway because VPN's exist so raiders can just bypass that

E3rayehWUAQJUGj.jpg?width=1047&height=588

• Not a big fan of the levels system or IP verification because. A. a level system just sounds pointless and restricting stuff because you aren't high level just sounds like you have to be on discord everyday just to grind levels and it pings you everytime you go up a level and it's annoying B. IP verification is dumb because what If you get a new router and yours breaks or your moving or you are on the go and want to talk via mobile data and everytime you would want to talk you would have to verify everytime it would just be pointless anyway because VPN's exist so raiders can just bypass that

Response to B: By IP verification I meant a one-time IP verification when new users join the server and it wouldn't be to verify the user's identity but to check if they already have an account in the server, and VPNs can be detected.

>w< pat me pleasee pat mee pleaseeeeee

• - Add an in-game verification for accessing the Discord server

just saying i have a bit of a counter suggestion to apply ingame verification for specific channels i.e #freedom-01-server-chat

will prompt more use of general-discussion whilst keeping freedom-chat out of target

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• Luke July 9, 2023 at 7:31 PM

Closed the thread.