Make TotalFreedom Coins Great Again

• I've noticed that TotalFreedom coins are currently worthless, useless and pointless. The following paragraphs should inform you of why I've came to that conclusion, and what I personally believe should be done about it.

The items in the shops are basically impossible to get without grinding reactions. Reactions appear every 5 minutes, and are currently configured to award player 10 coins. Here are some of the costs of the items in the shop, how much they cost, how many reactions you need to complete from a new account to make that money and how long you have to spend staring at your screen to complete those reactions:

Stacking Potato: 300 coins, 30 reactions, 2 and a half hours.

Lightning Rod: 1000 coins, 100 reactions, 8 hours and 20 minutes.

Rainbow Trail: 1500 coins, 150 reactions, 12 and a half hours.

This doesn't even take into account other people claiming reactions or the obvious breaks you'll need in-between reactions. Granted, players could indeed spread this across multiple days but... why would you be willing to invest that much time into a rod that spawns lightning bolts or an item that spawns rainbow wool behind you?

Maybe this could indeed work as a player retention technique in 2020/21, when everyone collectively had a lot more free time on their hands, but that certainly isn't the case anymore.

The reaction system being the only real method of earning coins will inevitably lead to player burnout.

You also can't currently use TF Coins for anything outside of the shop.

Now, here's what I suggest we do about it:

• Don't allow executives to gift themselves money. As we've seen in the real world, printing money seldom ends well.
    • Allow players to facilitate trading items with/without TF Coins. This could be used to trade items with customized NBT. Of course, this would require adding an option to remove EnderItems and Items from entity query responses in Scissors, but that's a fairly easy implementation.
    • Allow players to use, earn and spend TF Coins across the TotalFreedom Network. For example, awarding the player for killing someone or finding diamonds/emeralds in an SMP event. Or perhaps using TF Coins instead of Emeralds in a Villager trade, or something of the like. This gives players an interactive and fun way to earn TF Coins, instead of typing boring alphanumeric characters. This also incentivizes participating in events, with an obvious reward. Playerbase and retention outside of the main Freedom-01 server seems to be one of the current issues plaguing the network, which this would soothe.

For obvious reasons, I recommend this is implemented in the future as a TF-Core module.

Edited once, last by Allink: Fix incorrect statement about administrators being able to gift themselves coins. (December 5, 2022 at 5:49 PM).

• Vouch.
    Not too sure how well the second point would go as items can be recreated individually thus lowering their value, but anything that makes TF Coins have value again is worth a try.

"Dude, my screen is completely purple, I see Barney and I still die" - ExtesyyTV, 2022

• The items in the shops are basically impossible to get without grinding reactions.

You can vote every day on our official server listings (20 coins each vote) and get to top 10 active players (250-500 coins each month). I had other ideas but harder to implement.

Don't allow administrators to gift themselves inordinate amounts of money.

Only executives can.

Allow players to facilitate trading items with/without TF Coins.

How can we make it work when creative copy is possible?

Allow players to use, earn and spend TF Coins across the TotalFreedom Network.

I like the idea.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Allow players to facilitate trading items with/without TF Coins.

I doubt people would want to use coins to trade items and people can just use item loggers to get items they want from other people without actually engaging in a 'trade' if they really wanted a certain item.

• Don't allow administrators to gift themselves inordinate amounts of money. As we've seen in the real world, printing money seldom ends well.

Only executives can give coins and I've never witnessed any of them including myself actually doing this.

• Allow players to use, earn and spend TF Coins across the TotalFreedom Network.

This is actually a very good idea and I think it'd give coins use, especially in skyblock which can easily benefit from coin usage (can be used to replace those dreaded 'crates' bonafide gambling garbage).

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• I'm going to say this again and again: I really do not like the concept of a shop on the Freedom server in the first place. It goes against the foundation of the server where things like that were given out to operators equally. To justify its existence, people have said that the goal of it is to help with player retention. Threads discussing why people stick around on this server bare no mention of this.

I can tolerate its existence currently, but do note that I see rewriting it as a bit of a waste of time.

• How can we make it work when creative copy is possible?

By disallowing people to copy items from others in Scissors... For example, optionally removing NBT (excluding color, enchantments) and such from the equipment packet and removing the Items and EnderItems tag from query responses altogether.

I'm going to say this again and again: I really do not like the concept of a shop on the Freedom server in the first place. It goes against the foundation of the server where things like that were given out to operators equally. To justify its existence, people have said that the goal of it is to help with player retention. Threads discussing why people stick around on this server bare no mention of this.

I can tolerate its existence currently, but do note that I see rewriting it as a bit of a waste of time.

This post isn't solely about the shop; it's about adding more ways to earn and spend coins and giving the players Freedom to decide how they go about that.

Only executives can.

Post amended.

You can vote every day on our official server listings (20 coins each vote) and get to top 10 active players (250-500 coins each month). I had other ideas but harder to implement.

Please note that for the majority of my time on TotalFreedom, voting was broken. Even though it is indeed fixed now, I think it would be much, much better for players to earn coins through gameplay, rather than entering their username on a site, perhaps solving a captcha and pressing a button.

• Don't allow executives to gift themselves money. As we've seen in the real world, printing money seldom ends well.

With the exception of proving bugs for the developers, they shouldn't be and if they are that's sanctionable.

Allow players to facilitate trading items with/without TF Coins. This could be used to trade items with customized NBT. Of course, this would require adding an option to remove EnderItems and Items from entity query responses in Scissors, but that's a fairly easy implementation.

There is a ticket open (feel free to work on it my developer friend) to add a trading system. No reason 0 coins in that wouldn't be a valid option?

Allow players to use, earn and spend TF Coins across the TotalFreedom Network. For example, awarding the player for killing someone or finding diamonds/emeralds in an SMP event. Or perhaps using TF Coins instead of Emeralds in a Villager trade, or something of the like. This gives players an interactive and fun way to earn TF Coins, instead of typing boring alphanumeric characters. This also incentivizes participating in events, with an obvious reward. Playerbase and retention outside of the main Freedom-01 server seems to be one of the current issues plaguing the network, which this would soothe.

Is absolutely the longer term desire, creating a unified form of virtual currency to work across the network. Integrating it into a number of the game-modes I've got in my head is something I would like to see but frankly we've got bigger development priorities right now.

• I'll also say, there are a whole bunch of tickets on Jira to add more to the "Reactions" game by making it not just re-entering a string of characters. Again, it requires development support to achieve those and unfortunately hasn't been the highest priority when we've had so little developer time recently.

• If guilds didn't commit suicide I would have proposed to let the most complex ones like the Imperium have their own RP server. That would have had its own economy.

Skyblock isn't folowing the freedom principle and has its own economy.

I can see where the idea of making the most out of the multiple economic systems cones from.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this but since post is about coins I'll go ahead and say it:

I think that /shop coins could be potentially used to allow features such as disguise to the regular players who would use them and restrict the access to avoid exploiting, so everyone could buy it but only the people who actually play can afford it, raiders wouldn't be able to just join and abuse exploits as they'd have to grind for the coins first, and if a raider grinds coins for months to buy perms to abuse an exploit, they can simply be banned.

>w< pat me pleasee pat mee pleaseeeeee

• think that /shop coins could be potentially used to allow features such as disguise to the regular players who would use them and restrict the access to avoid exploiting, so everyone could buy it but only the people who actually play can afford it, raiders wouldn't be able to just join and abuse exploits as they'd have to grind for the coins first

A solution which goes against the foundation of the server.

• I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this but since post is about coins I'll go ahead and say it:

I think that /shop coins could be potentially used to allow features such as disguise to the regular players who would use them and restrict the access to avoid exploiting, so everyone could buy it but only the people who actually play can afford it, raiders wouldn't be able to just join and abuse exploits as they'd have to grind for the coins first, and if a raider grinds coins for months to buy perms to abuse an exploit, they can simply be banned.

Or just deny the permissions that can be used to abuse disgui- oh wait

ピバラ。