Revert the changes to long-term bans i.e. appeals

• Hello,

I’m not confident the switch to making appeals unavailable to players is a good one. While it means our lives are slightly easier in that individuals cannot pester us about unbans, that issue is so minuscule that it shouldn’t be a factor.

not all ops have contact with admins. in those cases nobody can fight for them

so therefore i suggest we revert the changes to reflect this

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• As I've said. Ops can appeal where the ban was issued in error or the reason is not correct / accurate.

Where people can't appeal is when they want to come back and don't like that they're banned. We issue punishments for breaking the rules and I don't see why you should be able to go "yeah I don't want to be punished any more so let's not"

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• As I've said. Ops can appeal where the ban was issued in error or the reason is not correct / accurate.

Where people can't appeal is when they want to come back and don't like that they're banned. We issue punishments for breaking the rules and I don't see why you should be able to go "yeah I don't want to be punished any more so let's not"

because we learn from our mistakes i learned from being a fucking dum person against ashaz and people sometimes break rules due to using a bug/glitch/technique they didnt know was against the rules like the infinite minecarts which you have to spam minecarts to ageeve

codium multimatter redanium sporres

because we learn from our mistakes i learned from being a fucking dum person against ashaz and people sometimes break rules due to using a bug/glitch/technique they didnt know was against the rules like the infinite minecarts which you have to spam minecarts to ageeve

That's not the point, it's like saying we should let pedo's out of jail because 'They said they're sorry and learnt their lesson'. In this argument the fact you're here making the argument you have is the exact reason I've not wanted to allow appeals in the first place, the reason you're banned on the server and were forum banned was to force you to take time away from the server, you're a prime example of why the appeal system doesn't work.

• That's not the point, it's like saying we should let pedo's out of jail because 'They said they're sorry and learnt their lesson'

almost as if theres a "parole" system. also minecraft server crashers aren't pedophiles. also parole gets allowed for lesser crimes. someone with 10 years for Possession with Intent to Supply could get released early.

you're a prime example of why the appeal system doesn't work.

not really. i sincerely doubt mats' would have had his appeal approved should he have done so.

matscalle ban appeal - Denied

matscalle Indef Ban Appeal #2 - Denied

matscalle indef ban appeal - Denied

as I've said. Ops can appeal where the ban was issued in error or the reason is not correct / accurate.

okay how about this

User X is a semi-active player. Maybe joins once every week or so. User X uses an exploit unknowingly and crashes the server. User X is not friendly with anyone else, and User X knows what they have done is wrong but did not realise they had to report what they did to the admins, because if they knew that is what they had to do, they would have. User X would then be banned for 4 months. User X has no admins to contact to make a case, they cannot use Discord and cannot post any appeal on the forum. User X knows what they did was wrong, and wishes to make amends and truly did not intend to cause any harm but User X is still banned for 4 months. Is this fair? The ban was correct; User X broke the rules, but User X did not intend any harm and just wishes to join again and have fun on TF

We issue punishments for breaking the rules and I don't see why you should be able to go "yeah I don't want to be punished any more so let's not"

Ryan we have gone in circles with this

A user appeals and the community votes. The user does not decide "Right I'm coming back", the user does not have any say other than putting their side forward. The user does not get an automatic unban. I don't see why this is difficult to understand, the community can decide if they are being sincere and whether they deserve to be unbanned or not and I'm not honestly sure where this whole concept comes from given it has never been a problem.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

Edited once, last by Luke (November 8, 2022 at 1:56 PM).

• mats' would have had his appeal approved

only thing i like of the long term bans is that i am not required to write an essay

but seariously i think a non op appeal system is like going back to the stone age we arent progressing we are going back in time

codium multimatter redanium sporres

• Where people can't appeal is when they want to come back and don't like that they're banned.

Ryan what I think gets away from you a lot of the time is that this server has kids on it. Genuine kids. I started this server when I was 7 dude. Full of dumb kids who make dumb mistakes and the only way they learn is from being disciplined - being banned for 6 months unless they care acutely about the server, will more than likely result in them completely forgetting about the server, which, at the minute, is something we really and truly cannot afford due to the strength of the current player base (not very strong). If a player really likes the server, I don't know why appealing is something we should take away from them.

We issue punishments for breaking the rules and I don't see why you should be able to go "yeah I don't want to be punished any more so let's not"

Because that's how it is everywhere else, it works Ryan. It's not like they submit an appeal "I want to be unbanned" and then they're unbanned. It's a lengthy enough process that players would vote in. That's how the system was for the last 11 years and it was practically flawless.

you're a prime example of why the appeal system doesn't work.

How about a prime example of how it does? You! was permanently banned twice (excluding self-requests). He appealed and is now a very active member of the discord server, he was a discord events manager for some time and is also an admin. He's changed a lot from when he was permanently banned and I find it unfair to pick one dude as an example and use him as reasoning. I was permanently banned like three times, twice before I became the EAO and discord admin and all that other stuff. If I was forced to wait instead of having a chance to appeal my sentence I probably wouldn't have come back.

it's like saying we should let pedo's out of jail because 'They said they're sorry and learnt their lesson'.

Pedophiles =/= griefers. I would be much more inclined to agree with your analogy if you used a different crime, such as maybe vandalism. That's basically what griefing is however when you replace "pedos" with "serial vandals" the analogy makes no sense as vandals can be sorry and they can learn their lesson.

• In this argument the fact you're here making the argument you have is the exact reason I've not wanted to allow appeals in the first place, the reason you're banned on the server and were forum banned was to force you to take time away from the server, you're a prime example of why the appeal system doesn't work.

I was banned multiple times, some of those were self-requests but other times it was only because the community as a whole wasn't a fan of me. Out of all people, I'd expect you to know this best considering you were one of my strongest advocates.

With the appeal system, it gave the player in question a chance to redeem themselves and use their voice to push forward their side of the story. I am well aware that in recent days the bans have been justified with accurate evidence, but I feel that the terms are unfair and should have been discussed further with the admin team. I don't like the idea of not being able to use my voice to fight for justice.

Vouch.

• it's like saying we should let pedo's out of jail because 'They said they're sorry and learnt their lesson'.

hey its me ginlang445 does anyone have a cupcake?

What type of reasoning is this? What similarities do griefers have with pedos???
    Vouch, because at this rate it will be renamed back to permbans and the server will just be a block game depiction of Animal Farm by George Orwell