Re-add the Zero Tolerance Policy

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • The title says it all.

Some personal thoughts:

• I recognize that re-adding the Zero Tolerance Policy seems to restrict freedom of speech, but to be frank, that's not what the policy was ever about. The policy was meant to make people feel more comfortable on this server. Slurs used to discriminate against other people have no place in this community.
    • It would be in ATLAS' best interest to implement a policy like this here as the issues this policy used to tackle would affect their reputation.
    • It shouldn't matter if someone is making an edgy joke or not. It shouldn't matter if they read the rules or not. We have banned griefers for years even if they have never read the rules or if they did it as a joke.

image.png

• Keep in mind that slurs are not currently allowed. We moved it to 3j of the conduct policy:

j. Discriminatory jokes, slurs or hate speech (attacks on an individual or group based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disabilities)

That means the discussion in this thread is not whether slurs should be allowed, but whether we need a dedicated policy for them and what punishment should be associated with them. I personally have a feeling that the fact that it was a dedicated policy contributed to the drama.

• Hell yeah vouch!!!

I was gonna suggest myself but you got to it first.

when you have players celebrating that the ZTP was gone it’s clear that it needs to be reinstated.

there is no excuse for using slurs and no reason that the ZTP shouldn’t be in effect again

• Object, I understand not allowing slurs, alright I get it.
    But honestly for myself I felt even more compelled to say shit like thiswhen there is a whole fucking policy against this, like ya know how Twitch banned simp, virgin and incel on its platform, it lead to people saying it more.
    Now obviously there is a big difference between racial slurs and them words, but you get what I mean.
    And there is no point to this since it is already been implemented into the conduct policy.

• Slurs are already not allowed.. we don't need a completely seperate policy for each infraction. What you want is stricter punishments

btw the massive amounts of vouches shows clear misunderstanding of the current rules which is okay from ops, but concerning from admins.. maybe they need to actually read the rules this time

• As @StevenNL2000#4488 noted here: the policy in itself is redundant if the intention is to simply ban certain types of speech. This is the 13th time this has come up for debate. I think most of the people vouching on this thread were unaware of the already in-place policy.

Object. We already have a policy for this, and the Admins' job is to enforce/interpret it. The previous policy contributed more to drama than anything else.

• One of the reasons I was very for getting rid of this policy is because it ended up being used as a naughty word filter and a way to "Cancel" people on the server without taking any sort of context into account. Now, before y'all get your pitch forks out, it is included within the rules that the sort of behaviour the policy was intended to remove has already been re-worded into the conduct policy, which ultimately makes a lot more sense anyway, but also means we don't end up getting into a culture where we're afraid to have a sane conversation in case someone says a "Naughty Word" though to be fair, it's rare that those sort of conversations do happen.

Either way, to have a dedicated policy for this sort of behaviour in my view add's additional confusion we shouldn't need. I'm all for having rules specific to the platforms users interact on, but to then add some global overarching policies and some extra local rules and to have different policies and rules for the platforms, causes more confusion and frankly as this thread demonstrates ends up with people not bothering to read the conduct policy they should be following and/or enforcing.

If people feel 3J needs to be re-written / tweaked, I'm open to it if there is something we've missed that the ZTP had covered, but otherwise I don't feel it's something that needs to make a return...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK