Freedom Server Direction - Your Input Required

• How would you like to see the Freedom game-mode ran going forward? 38

The result is only visible to the participants.

Hi Folks,

One of the things I've been thinking a lot about as we start to look at the next major update for TF and the Freedom server is the direction the Freedom server itself should be taking and I'm keen to hear from you guys on this one.

There have been two main positions the Freedom server has taken over the years.

The first being throughout Mark's ownership when the worlds were disposable and the server focused more heavily on exploring new maps and worlds and building was less of a priority, but still possible (Though you had to be more careful about saving your builds). Maps would get reset usually daily and during peak times potentially a few times per day.

The second being from somewhere between Windows and Seth's ownership (And what we have today) where the worlds are loaded as empty shells and building is the main activity that takes place on the server. We actively avoid map resets and the server is very much a persistent long term thing. Saving your builds is less important because we don't wipe entire worlds.

I'm keen to know where the community actually want to see the server going, and if you guys like the current way we're running the Freedom-01 server, likewise if you think there's a better solution that isn't accounted for on either of the two ways we've ran things historically, please shout and I'll add more options to the poll :)

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• i like long worlds cause then i dont have to backup everything and i can build stuff that can be cemented in history

I'd agree with Matscalle. Short term worlds do add a ton of exploration, but at the end of the day you're just looking at the same thing over and over. Long term worlds will have more history to them, more building oppritunities, etc.

• While we are in the process of planning to reset all of our worlds, if we plan on keeping using the worlds for a very long time (which is fine) we should investigate an automatic solution to clearing unnecessary regions files to avoid issues with the servers file size, which is an even bigger concern now that the world hight has increased

• While we are in the process of planning to reset all of our worlds, if we plan on keeping using the worlds for a very long time (which is fine) we should investigate an automatic solution to clearing unnecessary regions files to avoid issues with the servers file size, which is an even bigger concern now that the world hight has increased

So the intention will be to set a fairly generous world border which should let us manage the world growth. The trade off is either that or being forced to do more regular resets. Speaking to Steven before we had decided this was the best compromise for the time being as well as potentially some other plugins that might help manage world sizes.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

So the intention will be to set a fairly generous world border which should let us manage the world growth. The trade off is either that or being forced to do more regular resets. Speaking to Steven before we had decided this was the best compromise for the time being as well as potentially some other plugins that might help manage world sizes.

Maybe have a world border of like 100k by 100k, and then expand it by 10k on each side as needed

ピバラ。

• Short term disposable worlds might be more accessible for new players to get started in. I'm aware that having long-term worlds would be good - especially for our long-term members here who stay for a while - but I can imagine it would be fairly daunting if you join the server for the first time.

• As usual, I don't think I'm good at long and detailed explanations so have my short and direct opinion.

Unless there's a solid plan, a server focused on exploration would become boring very fast. We attempted to have a SMP server multiple times, which in my opinion is a better setting for it, and it always failed in a short time.

We have some amazing, original places scattered around the worlds, of which a part is of very high quality. Even if of average level, they've been the theatre of fun plays and even dramas. I myself like to visit them again from time to time and take inspiration. Something probably only regulars who witnessed those moments can really appreciate.

The people who invested time and effort in making all of that wouldn't do it if they knew their work would be flushed so easily. (Side note, I learnt about xfilez when I saw his floating base in adminworld.)

A disposable server means little good efforts to make it enjoyable, meaning a boring sandbox, meaning no chances to stabilise or even grow because we don't have anything of value to share.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

I was more thinking of using a tool like MCA selector (see how this could be used here, this shows off its gui stuff, but iirc there's a way to make a simple shell/bash/whatever script to do it all for you). this is what most other servers do, and as long as we clear unused chunks periodically (maybe once a week or 2) world size shouldn't be as big of an issue.

other tools are Thanos, by the devs at aternos

a simple but not super customizable version is Regionerator, which runs as a plugin

there's other stuff out there, but from my testing, Thanos and MCA selector are your best bets for getting it done, allowing for the most customization when removing unused chunks, and doing it quick enough to only require minimal downtown whenever ran

• So the intention will be to set a fairly generous world border which should let us manage the world growth. The trade off is either that or being forced to do more regular resets. Speaking to Steven before we had decided this was the best compromise for the time being as well as potentially some other plugins that might help manage world sizes.

Maybe have a world border of like 100k by 100k, and then expand it by 10k on each side as needed

Border expansion each update which is 10k per year or if it is really needed upgrade it

codium multimatter redanium sporres

• I understand why everyone wants long-term worlds... but the size of Minecraft worlds is ludicrous. Mojang really needs to get their shit together on this one and make a new chunk format that isn't as wasteful as the current one.

I propose we wipe worlds after 6 months, as a sort of medium-term compromise between the two ideas. Shouldn't get too big in that period of time (I hope)

• I propose we wipe worlds after 6 months

6 MONTHS NO NO NO the main idea i think we should do is a border of 100K X 100K as noted here

which as said upgrades when we need it main 0,0 would be filled tho with schematics i will try to save

codium multimatter redanium sporres

• From my memory the server thrived off of having a consistent playerbase of griefers, actual players exploring the map and building, and admins keeping a balance. This was a good way of gaining lots of new players, but not a good way of keeping a consistent playerbase, or probably how a building server should fundamentally function. I think if the server wants to have actual growth, there needs to be more longevity to the map. But to compensate, you will need more advertising, and ingame hooks.

• Cough cough you mean like a cubic chunk system?

That too, but I was thinking of them designing a chunk system that doesn't get monstrously huge.

A chunk in (newer versions of) Minecraft is 16x384x16. Which if you multiply all the numbers, you get 98,304. This means that no matter the file format, a chunk will always take up at least 96 KB (and that's only counting blocks, not NBT, nor biome data), unless you start excluding air. So I don't think that the chunk format can be fixed, and a cubic chunk system is only going to make the problem worse since the world can now take up space in 3 spacial directions rather than 2.

(I'm not against the cubic chunk system idea, but I'm saying that it wouldn't be a good solution for reducing world sizes)

• wild1145 December 24, 2022 at 11:28 PM

Closed the thread.