WorldEdit Blocked Items Review: Part 3 Currently Blocked

• I'm creating a couple of threads to start a conversation around the block list for our WorldEdit and ASyncWorldEdit. With various changes we've made to the server over the last few years, now feels as good of a time as any to do a bit of a community review of what's blocked and what's not blocked, and if we need to edit the list.

I'd like to see a strong argument either to un-block, re-block, or keep as-is and some strong justification if we want to make changes to the list. Likewise if there's a suggestion to make a change, please have a healthy discussion to help thrash out if it should be changed or not.

The following items are currently blocked, What I'd like is the community to have a sensible discussion on if these items should remain blocked or if there is now suitable justification to allow them to be used by WorldEdit / AWE.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Why is the netherite shovel here, exactly?...

Not really sure, it's been there for a while from what I can see. Though this is also after I merged the WorldEdit and AWE Blocked blocks.

These should stay blocked and are blocked for a reason. They're all laggy blocks if there's thousands of them in the same area. And the buttons I shouldn't even have to explain

Buttons didn't seem to cause lags (Nor did torches) when they were used in testing, though they were in limited quantities so might be a scale issue.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• None of these blocks serve any practical use being world edited in. Keep them blocked. If there is a compelling reason that you must worldedit them just //copy and //stack.

Jigsaws, structure blocks and the like deserve to stay blocked especially after the shitshow that recently happened.

This is coming from someone who is actually competent at building.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• - "minecraft:stone_button"

- "minecraft:birch_button"

- "minecraft:acacia_button"

- "minecraft:warped_button"

- "minecraft:crimson_button"

- "minecraft:dark_oak_button"

- "minecraft:jungle_button"

- "minecraft:oak_button"

- "minecraft:spruce_button"

All of these are blocked due to causing lag (client side) when placed in large quantities, and causing lag (server side) when you break on of the bottom buttons in a large chunk of them, causing all the other buttons to update and be like “oh shit I’m floating, let me break myself”

- "minecraft:cactus"

- "minecraft:sugar_cane"

Same as above iirc

- "minecraft:campfire"

- "minecraft:soul_campfire"
    Particles, oh god the particles, also because these are non-standard blocks, they cause some clientside lag

- "minecraft:structure_block"

Very easy to abuse for exploits, can be used to copy and import exports and tons of nbt

- "minecraft:end_gateway"

Generates large purple beams (very annoying), also causes lots of clientside lag

- "minecraft:end_portal"

Same as above but without the purple beams, also can be used for trolling since they are invisible from the bottom

- "minecraft:spawner"

Iirc mainly abused for exploits, can store lots and lots of nbt data and all that

- "minecraft:enchanting_table"

Non-standard block, clientside lag causer

- "minecraft:bubble_column"

Not a block iirc, correct me if I’m wrong

- "minecraft:beehive"

Same as spawner

- "minecraft:beenest"

Same as spawner

- "minecraft:jigsaw"

Very easy for exploits, but I can’t explain why, I’ve never messed with the jigsaw block

- "minecraft:respawn_anchor"

Very easy for exploits, panther at one point found out if you click on respawn anchors really, really fast (easy to do with a hack client) it will crash the entire server in about 50 seconds (mojang moment)

- "minecraft:netherite_shovel"

Not a block

• Very easy to abuse for exploits, can be used to copy and import exports and tons of nbt

Very easy for exploits, but I can’t explain why, I’ve never messed with the jigsaw block

In the version of Scissors in which we are running TF under, Structure Blocks and Jigsaws are fully disabled through a configuration option.

Very easy for exploits, panther at one point found out if you click on respawn anchors really, really fast (easy to do with a hack client) it will crash the entire server in about 50 seconds (mojang moment)

We should verify to see if this is still an issue.

image.png