Freedom-01 - Tonights very unexpected outage

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hi Folks,

Just for transparency, we've ran into a string of issues tonight that while looked related, turn out to be totally separate.

The first issue that was noticed and caused disruption was earlier this evening where players were getting kicked due to no login servers being available. This was the result of me applying some OS Patches to the Bungee when I was bringing a new server online. The patches included Java updates and for some reason they interfered with the certificate authority trust anchors and the bungee could no longer establish secure connections externally, as a result it failed to connect to Mojang's servers and players couldn't join. This issue was resolved Friday 28th October 2022 22:22:40.

The second and currently ongoing issue is the result of Hetzner, the company Steven purchased the physical server that runs Freedom-01, performing maintenance to their backbone infrastructure which we were not made aware of. For those curious this is the maintenance - https://status.hetzner.com/incident/970fe…11-9031024a9c86

This has caused significant increases in latency between our network proxy (bungee) and the Freedom server, resulting in the network believing the Freedom server is offline due to it's lack of ping response, this also started to cause players to get significantly higher pings as I suspect traffic was getting re-routed elsewhere.

We can't do a lot other than wait for the maintenance to be complete before restoring the server, apologies for what has been a bit of a mess.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Just to update, it looks like the latency issues are still really bad, as a result I'm not going to bother trying to fire up the Freedom server for the time being. I was hoping by now the worst of it would have been resolved but it seems to be even worse than last night and considerably less stable from the services I've got in Hetzner trying to talk out to any other part of the internet. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

• Just to update, it looks like the latency issues are still really bad, as a result I'm not going to bother trying to fire up the Freedom server for the time being. I was hoping by now the worst of it would have been resolved but it seems to be even worse than last night and considerably less stable from the services I've got in Hetzner trying to talk out to any other part of the internet. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

Should be resolved, your post was still made during the maintenance window

Should be resolved, your post was still made during the maintenance window

Yes I forgot to update the thread here but yes it was during the maintenance window, it was more to be clear that there were still issues and the server was intentionality down and not something we had really planned.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 October 30, 2022 at 1:07 PM

Closed the thread.