Remove the requirement for needing an avatar picture to apply

• 13. Please ensure you have a personalized avatar for your forum profile - you'll be asked to add one if you neglect this.

I can only think of one reason why this is mandated: professionalism. Otherwise I disagree with forcing avatars for when applying for admin because avatars have absolutely no correlation with actual admin performance. Additionally, this is the only point of time where avatars are mandated, after when you're approved for admin you can just remove your avatar anyway, therefore ruining the whole point. Additionally additionally, they aren't even mandated when reinstating.

So yeah, remove 13 from the Admin Pre-Application Checklist.

• Think this is an old remnant from the days of ye olde proboards where the avatar was steve and had ‘im a noob’ on it. just hasnt been updated in a long time if i recall correctly

i vouch

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• I vouch for turning it into a recommendation.

Avatars are a great visual tool to easily recognise people in general, not only staff members. But I see no point in enforcing it only in the first stage of acquiring a rank.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Yeah Proboards didn't really support any sort of remotely dynamic avatars and it was confusing and irritating as I recall back then when you had most the forum on the same default picture.

I see no reason not to remove the requirement and turn it into a "You probably should do this" sort of route like others have said, WoltLab's default avatar behaviour is considerably less crappy so makes this less painful.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• So seeing as the way we operate now has far outgrown the need to force admins to have profile pictures, I see no reason to do anything but amend the requirement thread, merging the recommendation into the forum account requirement.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• lyicx October 14, 2022 at 10:49 PM

Closed the thread.