Give developers access to logs

• If this is so important, why isn't this suggestion from a developer?

Logs contain everything happening on the server, including private messages (except cross-server ones) and staff-only chats and system messages. If a filter can be run on the logfiles, and somebody is willing to make and run it, I support it.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

This suggestion was created because in Panther's suggestion to create an anarchy server, Allink said that developers had no access to logs, I thought this was stupid and believed that developers should indeed have access to logs. So I created this suggestion.

Could Allink or some other developer made this suggestion? Absolutely, but I decided to take it upon myself to create it because I know that none of you are brave enough to stand up and state your opinion.

Logs contain everything happening on the server, including private messages (except cross-server ones) and staff-only chats and system messages.

And this is why logs are good for debugging stuff.

If a filter can be run on the logfiles, and somebody is willing to make and run it, I support it.

This would destroy the point of logs.

Also Tizz, if developers can't be trusted, then they shouldn't even be developers at all.

I was planning of making this suggestion myself but it looks like characterslimits beat me to it

Logs contain everything happening on the server, including private messages (except cross-server ones) and staff-only chats and system messages. If a filter can be run on the logfiles, and somebody is willing to make and run it, I support it.

All I see here is intended behaviour. Implementing a filter like this, in my opinion, would defeat the very purpose of logging. We need to know exactly what is happening to figure out why something bad happens, even if it's as minute as someone sending a private message or executing a command.

Then we have to change a bunch of policies to ensure both admins and developers are protected and they have to be ok with the changes.

Yeah, developers should be held to the same standards as admins are in regards to confidential or private information, if this suggestion were to be implemented.

Also, vouch, if I'm allowed to vouch here.

• Vouch.

It’s honestly mind boggling to me that they have not had access to logs this whole time. How are we supposed to expect development to move along quicker if the developers can’t even properly identify and fix bugs?

Edited once, last by Xen (October 9, 2022 at 7:43 AM).

• Bumping for more feedback.

For what it's worth, developers can be given log extracts (And I've done so often on the Jira bug tickets) and admins can absolutely do the same if they need developer assistance troubleshooting bugs.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• For what it's worth, developers can be given log extracts (And I've done so often on the Jira bug tickets) and admins can absolutely do the same if they need developer assistance troubleshooting bugs.

I think all developers would prefer to view logs instead of making someone else do it. I also believe it's unfair for the admins to do what should logically be the jobs of developers.