I fucking hate AsyncWorldEdit

• Before I begin, I would like to note that I created this thread in a way that does not violate the plugin's heavily-restrictive license, which can be accessed here. This thread does not explain how to compile the plugin, because doing so would result in a violation of the license. I am, however, detailing certain things that I found that I dislike. I used information that was provided by the official pages of the plugin (the GitHub and Spigot pages) for my research.

Source code will not be directly provided in this thread, however I will be occasionally linking to lines in the source code from the official GitHub.

The way AsyncWorldEdit works is confusing and broken in some cases

Contrary to what it sounds like, AsyncWorldEdit is not a fork of WorldEdit. It is a separate plugin that when installed, injects its own code into the original WorldEdit plugin by some weird Java hackery to make it behave asynchronously. As you can imagine, this breaks a lot of shit, and is most likely the reason it frequently misbehaves on the server.

Why the developer chose to do this, I'm not sure, but my theory (do not take this part as factual information) is that that he wanted to control how the plugin was distributed or even compiled through a license of his own. You see, WorldEdit is licensed with the GNU Public License, which among the many other things it requires for compliance, states that you cannot change the license of copies of the source code you make. Since doing what I theorized before to a fork of WorldEdit would violate the license, it's possible he chose the path of writing something from scratch that injects into the existing code to avoid violating the license.

The version on GitHub is not the same as the version in the GitHub releases

In the GitHub version the project's pom.xml files that Maven use (primarily to you know, compile the plugin) refers to dependencies that don't actually exist or are otherwise inaccessible to the public. This includes the code that makes the plugin work with 1.13+, making compilation effectively impossible. So, if an exploit is present in the plugin, we cannot fix the exploit ourselves as we do not have access to the source code to the version that we use.

The versions distributed through GitHub Releases do include these dependencies, however there is a catch. To deter someone from using a program to decompile the software, the developer scrambles the names of certain important class files in the distribution JARs that are provided in the GitHub releases. When the plugin starts up, it descrambles the file names of the classes and then loads them.

The code that descrambles and loads the classes is present in both versions, but the GitHub version lacks information that is required in order to descramble the class file names. This information is present in the distribution versions, but I cannot provide that information here.

The official GitHub pages, to the best of my knowledge, lack the information I've just noted here.

It is prone to painful log spam

AsyncWorldEdit's logging system is overly verbose, to the point where it can spam logs just from regular use. Many admins who have seen the shit it spews can attest to this. Sadly, there is no way to actually disable this functionality, which fucking sucks.

Conclusion

AsyncWorldEdit does work, but the way it works is painful and frequently breaks shit. In addition, it is impossible to modify the plugin yourself without information that is otherwise stuck behind a paywall (as the source code is actually incomplete), so if you want to maybe fucking disable the log spam caused by the plugin, you're shit out of luck.

If you want a version of WorldEdit that doesn't immediately crash the server when you make a giant sphere for your own private use, use FastAsyncWorldEdit. If you want WorldEdit to not crash the server immediately but also allow pretty much anyone to use it in an all-op setting and not have it crash from ridiculous galaxy brain mistakes like fucking loading schematics from the web, use AsyncWorldEdit.

image.png

• One thing that I hate: The speed. Large edits will take eternity to get done. So if its a million+ block edit, you will have your chat spammed for several minutes while it struggles to so the job. I hate AWE because of this.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• One thing that I hate: The speed. Large edits will take eternity to get done. So if its a million+ block edit, you will have your chat spammed for several minutes while it struggles to so the job. I hate AWE because of this.

AFAIK that's a configuration we have set and can change and is based off the performance of the server.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Sadly, there is no way to actually disable [the log spam], which fucking sucks.

False, in the AsyncWorldEdit configuration file, there's a config setting talkative and progress-chat that disables the progress messages in chat.

• Sadly, there is no way to actually disable [the log spam], which fucking sucks.

False, in the AsyncWorldEdit configuration file, there's a config setting talkative and progress-chat that disables the progress messages in chat.

That's not what I was referring to at all. I'm talking about the literal shitstorm of aids that AIDSyncWorldEdit likes to spew into the console when something just so happens to go ever so slightly wrong.

• I can't stand any WorldEdit plugin. FAWE, AWE, WE, they all suck balls. For a private server with 1-5/10 trusted players, I'd go with WE. However, for a public one, I'd much prefer AWE.

While AWE is a buggy and broken piece of shit, I find that it's less of a buggy and broken piece of shit than the software made by the Antichrist, FAWE.

• I can't stand any WorldEdit plugin. FAWE, AWE, WE, they all suck balls. For a private server with 1-5/10 trusted players, I'd go with WE. However, for a public one, I'd much prefer AWE.

While AWE is a buggy and broken piece of shit, I find that it's less of a buggy and broken piece of shit than the software made by the Antichrist, FAWE.

Disagree, FAWE is much better than AWE because AWE is made from some greedy developer that is trying to cash in that money, this is supported by the fact that the developer of AWE used a loophole to bypass the conditions of the GPL license, because the GPL license is a copyleft license and this means that when you adapt code from projects that is licensed under the GPL your project must also be GPL. The fact that the developer of AWE exploited a loophole in the GPL license by making his plugin an injector (instead of adapting/forking the code), should raise a major red flag.

Only use AWE if you support greedy developers who cannot respect licenses.

• Iirc it's still on the investigation phase, and FAWE has more security holes than AWE. I don't know if they're due to the "all OP" setup or not.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

Disagree, FAWE is much better than AWE because AWE is made from some greedy developer that is trying to cash in that money, this is supported by the fact that the developer of AWE used a loophole to bypass the conditions of the GPL license, because the GPL license is a copyleft license and this means that when you adapt code from projects that is licensed under the GPL your project must also be GPL. The fact that the developer of AWE exploited a loophole in the GPL license by making his plugin an injector (instead of adapting/forking the code), should raise a major red flag.

Only use AWE if you support greedy developers who cannot respect licenses.

Personally I think developers should be free to profit as much as they want from their projects. But, yeah, using an injector to bypass the terms of GPL is a scummy move. There's a reason people use licenses in their projects...

Let me make it clear. I absolutely do NOT like plugins which bypass license restrictions and use AES encrypted files to discourage reverse engineering. Shitty licensing practices or not, it's a better alternative, for me, than FAWE is.

Every time I've tried to get FAWE to work with permission nodes limiting functionality so people can't just grief with it has ended in failure. In fact, the only way I've found it successful is by installing WorldEdit and getting FAWE to work in an odd, unsupported, AWE-like mode. If this is what it takes to get FAWE to work, I honestly don't have the time or patience to get it to work. I absolutely cannot stand for software that requires an absurd amount of configuration and tinkering to get it to work, when there are alternatives on the market that don't require as much time to setup and don't require as much tinkering/configuration.

It's really choosing the lesser of evils here and using FAWE is a decision I will not make in my lifetime.