Mojang to remove username history API

• Oh yeah TFM development's finally bitten in the ass

Whoever removed UUIDs from player data and punishments in the first place needs a lifetime supply of pineapple pizza

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Not sure if this is correct, but NameMC could still function by noticing player name changes after said name changed accounts UUID no longer matches with their previous name, and then update the current name to the new name associated to that UUID. As long as they have their own database, all previous names will be saved.

• "We are removing public access to this information to better protect your privacy from bad actors and evil doers."

Can anyone explain what the fuck anyone could do with username history that's that bad, other than maybe cancel culture stuff?
    That and the wording clearly states "for your privacy", so I don't think this is about "bad actors and evil doers" attacking Mojang by abusing the API.

EDIT: And anyway, usernames were removable if they had anything personally identifying in them:
    "If your current or past usernames have any personally identifiable information in them, you can contact Minecraft Support and have it removed from your history. "

"Dude, my screen is completely purple, I see Barney and I still die" - ExtesyyTV, 2022

• Not sure if this is correct, but NameMC could still function by noticing player name changes after said name changed accounts UUID no longer matches with their previous name, and then update the current name to the new name associated to that UUID. As long as they have their own database, all previous names will be saved.

Exactly! If NameMC already stores their own records of players skins, then why can't they also store records of IGNs as well?

but why could it not be a toggle (defaults to off) to show your username history on this API. Microsoft are removing this for a reason that hardly exists.

it'll be due to cost.

What do you mean "due to cost"? We're literally talking about a company that has billions of dollars which is backed by a multi-billion dollar corporation.

• What do you mean "due to cost"? We're literally talking about a company that has billions of dollars which is backed by a multi-billion dollar corporation.

and how exactly do you think they keep themselves being worth so much? Cutting costs is pretty common with shit like this.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Guess my theory that Microsoft is just trying to not piss off COPPA and other online protection laws for children is true then.

Can we just collectively starts riots to ban kids of the internet permanently? They've made it ours and other companies' jobs to babysit Karen's shitty kids.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Beta_Alpha Just add an age requirement for multiplayer at this point. I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to let children under a certain age without use online services in most countries.

Well, actually the clause usually is "without parental supervision", but how are you enforcing it on a videogame?

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Beta_Alpha Just add an age requirement for multiplayer at this point. I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to let children under a certain age without use online services in most countries.

Well, actually the clause usually is "without parental supervision", but how are you enforcing it on a videogame?

We've pretty much done nothing about it because lazy parents used the internet to shut their kids up, and we just accepted that until it was too late.

We saw in the past that youtube suffered for exactly what you mentioned in the first paragraph and that lead to every content creator taking a bullet for their stupidity of not enforcing anything strict before, now Microsoft wants to avoid that huge lawsuit by implementing the required changes before they get it.

We either have the government grow a braincell or two and realise the PARENTS who let their kids use the internet unsupervised and then get into seeing some shit are responsible for child endangerment and neglect. But that will never happen because "OH NOOOO! BIG COMPANY BAD!!!". I don't fully blame companies for decisions like these, I blame the causes or circumstances more than anything.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Guess my theory that Microsoft is just trying to not piss off COPPA and other online protection laws for children is true then.

How is revealing past usernames a (potential) COPPA violation? Even ROBLOX does this and their target audience is kids.

But that will never happen because "OH NOOOO! BIG COMPANY BAD!!!". I don't fully blame companies for decisions like these, I blame the causes or circumstances more than anything.

I disagree, big companies have enough political power to fight it back or even lobby to change or remove laws they don't like (remember Net Neutrality?) Companies deserve all the blame because they chose not to.