Make indefinite ban requests public again.

• Retracted

Original Post

It is clear that making ban requests restricted to admins only is a bad idea. Moderation has became so opaque, it's unknown who is in the right. Us TotalFreedom members deserve the right to transparency, so therefore make indefinite ban requests public again.

The reason why indefinite ban requests were made private was because of concerns of IP addresses. In order for an admin to ban someone, they have to fill out a form which contains entering the offender's IP address and posting it to the indefinite ban requests. Which makes their IP address public.

Some weren't happy that their IP address was made available to the public eye. People started DDoSing the server "in protest" because they didn't like their IP being public - Credit to Alco_Rs11

ginlang proposed a solution, that in my opinion, needs more credit. Admins would fill out the IGN and UUID, but not the IP address of the offender. When it's time to ban, the Executive Ban Manager will be responsible for fetching their IP address. Therefore, this makes it so that their IP address isn't available to the public while keeping their ban public.

Edited 5 times, last by characterslimits: Retracted (October 25, 2022 at 9:58 PM).

• i'd like to ask why they were private again.

The reason why they were made private is because people were insecure about their IP address (because in order to indefinitely ban someone admins have to fill out a form which contains an IP address)

But here's the thing, if you're so concerned with someone having your IP address, either get a VPN or don't be on the internet, not being rude- that's just how the internet works.

Literally every site you visit will collect your IP, this isn't exclusive to TotalFreedom. Google, Twitter, literally any social media platform, Microsoft (and by extension Mojang), literally every single Minecraft sever you join, will log your IP.

• i'd like to ask why they were private again.

The reason why they were made private is because people were insecure about their IP address (because in order to indefinitely ban someone admins have to fill out a form which contains an IP address)

But here's the thing, if you're so concerned with someone having your IP address, either get a VPN or don't be on the internet, not being rude- that's just how the internet works.

Literally every site you visit will collect your IP, this isn't exclusive to TotalFreedom. Google, Twitter, literally any social media platform, Microsoft (and by extension Mojang), literally every single Minecraft sever you join, will log your IP.

Some people were butthurt we were publishing IPs on the indefinite bans and decided to start DDoS'ing the server 'in protest'. The indefinite bans were public for a while prior to that and that's a major reason why they went private - to keep the masses happy because it's not worth getting the network knocked offline because some people decide to be butthurt over the IPs of almost entirely serial rulebreakers/server crashers being published.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• The reason why they were made private is because people were insecure about their IP address (because in order to indefinitely ban someone admins have to fill out a form which contains an IP address)

Some people were butthurt we were publishing IPs on the indefinite bans and decided to start DDoS'ing the server 'in protest'. The indefinite bans were public for a while prior to that and that's a major reason why they went private - to keep the masses happy because it's not worth getting the network knocked offline because some people decide to be butthurt over the IPs of almost entirely serial rulebreakers/server crashers being published.

TCPShield is a pretty good solution for that

ピバラ。

• In the one week we were on mybb Seth made an extension to only show IPs to staff members. We should do the same here

Unfortunately, I cannot find a plugin that allows you to redact certain text of a post for users that aren't in a certain group.

I also doubt that anyone here (including Wild) will be up to the task of creating a WoltLab plugin for one certain feature.

Your only bet is to try asking the WoltLab community and see if anyone will develop it.

• In the one week we were on mybb Seth made an extension to only show IPs to staff members. We should do the same here

Unfortunately, I cannot find a plugin that allows you to redact certain text of a post for users that aren't in a certain group.

I also doubt that anyone here (including Wild) will be up to the task of creating a WoltLab plugin for one certain feature.

Your only bet is to try asking the WoltLab community and see if anyone will develop it.

"Every problem has a solution, it's just some solutions are harder to find than others" - Unknown

Iirc it worked like spoilers, meaning things like inspecting the page or using the API would reveal it anyway.

It should work like one of those those e-mail filters. The message body itself should return something like [redacted] unless you belong to a staff group. I don't know if the forum allows direct data manipulation through plugins.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Object, I have always been against IPs being public. While a lot of people don't care about thir IPs being pubicly shown, other big servers don't go off showing their player's IPs, If they did they would lose all their players which this policy in the past probably has cost the server some players,

• Object, I have always been against IPs being public. While a lot of people don't care about thir IPs being pubicly shown, other big servers don't go off showing their player's IPs, If they did they would lose all their players which this policy in the past probably has cost the server some players,

Even though this is still an issue I don't think we should be using IPs as an excuse to why they can't be publicized again, the community should be able to see IBRs again since we can't really trust them being private anymore and it's doing more destruction rather than good.

meow-upscaled.png

Even though this is still an issue I don't think we should be using IPs as an excuse to why they can't be publicized again, the community should be able to see IBRs again since we can't really trust them being private anymore and it's doing more destruction rather than good.

Unfortunately it's the entire reason we had to make them admin only in the first place, and the reality is that has not changed. It only takes a handful of people being upset with this move for them to go back to targeting the community and our infrastructure and frankly it's not worth it. I appreciate it's not ideal, but this is the trade off.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK