Make indefinite ban requests public again.

• Can't we like, have a separate private board of sorts where IPs are posted in relation to IBRs

Ultimately no, it creates more of a mess than making the entire thing private and requires a considerable amount more work to file such requests. They need to remain on a single thread.

• Ultimately no, it creates more of a mess than making the entire thing private and requires a considerable amount more work to file such requests. They need to remain on a single thread.

so during seth’s tenure he worked out a way to make certain text readable by staff only. Is there no way to do that here?

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• Ultimately no, it creates more of a mess than making the entire thing private and requires a considerable amount more work to file such requests. They need to remain on a single thread.

so during seth’s tenure he worked out a way to make certain text readable by staff only. Is there no way to do that here?

It didn't actually work and was trivial to bypass. Likewise it doesn't solve the issue where it would then mean most of the evidence would be staff only, defeating the point of making them public at all.

• It didn't actually work and was trivial to bypass. Likewise it doesn't solve the issue where it would then mean most of the evidence would be staff only, defeating the point of making them public at all.

don’t you think cat 0 and global bans should at least be public explaining why this happened without actually providing proof, which gets shown in admin channels? not saying this should be the case for every single ban but it’d be a half decent idea just because of how much of a big deal global bans are, and generally don’t happen to your average player who’s joined for like a day

• Instead of this, why dont we put the ip in a seperate, admin-restricted thread, and the main ban request in public channels? it doesnt require that much effort to make 2 threads, and the extra effort and thread would be well worth it to make ban requests. (you could also link the thread in the ibr itself for less effort going between them)

vouch though, they have no reason for being private other than we dont want the crybabies to ddos us

Endermatter Cat-Person with wings and Magic who follows the Cat Religion.

"Never Surrender."

• so during seth’s tenure he worked out a way to make certain text readable by staff only. Is there no way to do that here?

It didn't actually work and was trivial to bypass. Likewise it doesn't solve the issue where it would then mean most of the evidence would be staff only, defeating the point of making them public at all.

This can be worked around by creating a new section similar to "Announcements" but dedicated to bans. Everything works as usual, and then who's responsible for the specific platforms' bans posts a public statement ("User X has been banned for Y time for Z")

Also, not everything needs to be public, some sections can be restricted to registered users only. If any famous forum out there is doing what is asked in here, it's hidden to guests, because I can't find anyone else publishing bans except a couple Italian forums.

why dont we put the ip in a seperate, admin-restricted thread, and the main ban request in public channels?

Read above, IP addresses isn't the only sensible info shared across the staff threads.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Instead of this, why dont we put the ip in a seperate, admin-restricted thread, and the main ban request in public channels? it doesnt require that much effort to make 2 threads, and the extra effort and thread would be well worth it to make ban requests. (you could also link the thread in the ibr itself for less effort going between them)

vouch though, they have no reason for being private other than we dont want the crybabies to ddos us

To expand on this, wouldn't it be even easier to fill out the IBR in full, IP included, post that in the admin-only section, then simply copy-paste it into the public IBR list, minus the IP?

This way everyone can see the reasons/evidence, but the IP and any other admin-only things can be done in the admin-only thread. The Public IBR listing could even be locked, and just serve as public record. Could also retroactively make IBRs public this way, though I don't think that's needed.

"Dude, my screen is completely purple, I see Barney and I still die" - ExtesyyTV, 2022

• How do I make this clear enough without people spewing the same thing over and over?

We share a lot of potentially sensitive info as evidence in ban requests. IP addresses are probably the least important of those.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• How do I make this clear enough without people spewing the same thing over and over?

We share a lot of potentially sensitive info as evidence in ban requests. IP addresses are probably the least important of those.

Agreed, but a public thread that includes a detailed explanation minus any information about the individual (IP, names, accounts, etc.) is probably the best solution. It's work, yeah, but people want transparency so to keep 'em happy there's gonna be some work involved.

I personally think we should just be public with reasoning.

I also think that if there is an IBR open for a certain user, they should have the right to see the entire thread and the evidence against them.

This is probably the best temporary quick-fox since if anyone has any questions about a ban they can ask the person banned, who would have been given direct screenshots regarding the thread that they may show to people (if they edit it that's on them and an admin can easily debunk it).

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Vouch just remove the IPs from them

As I've said before, ips won't be removed from the ibr process. It's a core part do the process and serves as a much longer term record beyond that of the indef ban file.

If the board is made public again it will be made public with ips. I'm not going to additional trouble to hide them and certainly don't see it as a valuable use of time to edit historical ones which we would need to do.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I think it's funny how every single time someone makes this same suggestion, it always ends up being denied, so why try again? There is no point if you know Ryan is just going to deny it...

Anyways, I object.

EDIT: Sure, people are going to vouch for it, but at the same time they're not thinking of the hassle it would be to just put the IPs on a separate admin-only thread, it's just not going to work that way. That and IPs are a very good thing to have for an indefinite ban since it's easy to find out if someone is using an alt or not by matching the IP used.

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• quoting my post in the other thread

tl;dr object to making them public vouch to bring in a public list of indef-banned users separate to the actual banlist