Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • wild1145 Probably a stupid question but do you optimise the MySQL database after manually deleting the records?

Also is there a good reason not to use the CoreProtect's purge command (with or without the #optimize option)? That's because it would significantly impact server's performance until the command's completed?

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• @Tizz#19075 Not a stupid question, and the short answer to both is yes.

The longer answer is yes, I do run optimise table commands over the blocks table when I've deleted a considerable amount of data, the issue is that it requires an outage to the server, as MySQL with InnoDB needs to re-create the table, which requires locking it and CoreProtect doesn't like that at all. It's why I tend to get to the stage there's a lot deleted before running an optimise. Right now there's around 50GB "Free" in the Blocks table, and I've just hit the start of April, I'm going to continue to delete a bit more data so we only have 4-6 weeks of data logged going forward and then can kick the optimise off knowing that I won't need to run it again hopefully for a while.

And we don't use the core protect option as it doesn't allow me to archive before deleting, and given I don't even like the fact we have to delete the data, manually dumping the rows before deleting them is currently the best option. Not to mention to delete 70,000,000 rows takes around 3 hours, and then a further 2-4 hours to optimise, I wouldn't trust TF to be running for long enough to do that with the plugin, and that would still have the issue with CoreProtect locking up due to not being able to write to the table impacted.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I've updated with 2 dates in June, the good news is the work to archive CoreProtect Data seems to be working well and we've seen a decent drop in the database size, though Freedom-01 maps are slowly continuing to creep up which is not a surprise, but isn't the ideal case either.

For those curious, this is TF's usage of the core MySQL Database over time:

Wild1145

• Genuine question: how are you handling all this storage? Are you just going to expand the storage as more space is needed? And are you using SSDs? Do you anticipate actually having to spend money on new drives for storage as TF grows?

•   Telesphoreo It's a fair point, there will come a point where we will have to do world wipes / similar to sustain things properly. There is some work going on to split the worlds on Freedom-01 out into their own smaller servers (Master builder world, plots and admin world being the main 3 we want to split out) and the hope is that will buy us some time.

Depending on 1.17 and if there are major world changes that might be the point where we reset the main world, or some combination like that, but I'm not sure yet.

While we can continue to throw more disk at the server (And that's what I've done to date) there are implications of doing so, we're having issues now that the backup scripts fail for Freedom-01 because of the way the backups are designed to run for example. There's also a point where I only have so much disk space on the SN Servers entirely, and until TF is in a position to accept donations to contribute towards the costs it'll be hard to justify uplifting SN's infrastructure when TF currently uses something like 60% of our entire regions disk capacity.

Wild1145

• For those curious I'm updating the stats now but here are some pretty graphs and the raw data:

Wild1145

• I've updated the spreadsheet linked in the original post. The only currently missing data is on the overworld world size pending the outcome of the current world optimisation that Steven is undertaking, I'll add the world size when that's complete.

Wild1145