Velocity + Others

• This is in regards to this thread: Development Update - August 1st, 2022

As we move forward once TFM's final release is dropped, development on the new core has already started and is going by pretty fast.

Now, I'm not going to explain why Velocity is the better choice because it is listed here --> https://velocitypowered.com/wiki/users/com…-other-proxies/

NetworkManager IIRC is suitable for Velocity, and since Velocity is maintained by PaperMC's Development Team and we run our backends using a fork of Paper, I believe it'd be better and more suitable for us to also run their proxy software versus md_5's BungeeCord or Paper's Waterfall which is soon to be deprecated and is more recommended to use Velocity over it.

Velocity also has an API that is up to date with the modern component system versus BungeeCord/Waterfall being out to date and using legacy code that hasn't been updated in years and instead is just being built and updated upon. Velocity doesn't rely on Waterfall or BungeeCord and is its own software that's created more modern as it's much newer (not that new, it's like 2 years old).

2nd Suggestion: I also request that we begin to use Redis to communicate with backends and frontends. While Velocity does support the Bungee Plugin Messaging Channel, Plugin Messaging in general tends to be buggy and unreliable as you have to send messages through players. Redis supports a publish / subscribe system in which the proxy and backend servers can communicate with each other. Using this, we can also fix the server selector issue as well in the Hub and most likely add other features (global chat, global staff chat, etc.)

My final suggestion is that we deprecate NetworkManager. I understand that NetworkManager provides a lot of the features to save Ryan from having to be able to do stuff manually and has an epic panel (imo only good thing abt it), it can be unreliable at times. If we do not rid of NetworkManager, I recommend us using LuckPerms for permissions rather than NetworkManager as LuckPerms is more modern and is more commonly used and their support is much more reliable, and it also is an open source plugin. LuckPerms is basically carrying the Minecraft Server community when it comes to permission handling and groups.

With the new TF-Core being made, we're able to add another module to the repository which can handle a new proxy core. Before you say we're unreliable or will be slow on updates, no, because the only reason TFM was hardly worked on is because the code dates back to many years earlier and has a lot of legacy methods and ways, as well as a legacy codebase that is away from modern times. It's really difficult to work with sometimes but since this new core and new code is much more modernized it will be easy to make changes and updates and fix bugs, as is done with Scissors.

• I thought global staff chat was already a feature though, since everybody got a first-hand test drive of it

it's one of a substantial number of network manager features which is currently disabled due to the broken perms on the freedom game mode.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I've read the article linked in the OP. It seems like Bungeecord actually conflicts with TF's way of doing things for a bumber of reasons.

I need more time to see how Velocity is being received in general, if it's a solid solution, obvious vouch

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• I've read the article linked in the OP. It seems like Bungeecord actually conflicts with TF's way of doing things for a bumber of reasons.

I need more time to see how Velocity is being received in general, if it's a solid solution, obvious vouch

could i get a specific on what it conflicts with please?

could i get a specific on what it conflicts with please?

From what I understood, Bungeecord's developer's a bit of an arse and the development policy will prevent us from fully modernise the TF network in the long run. Something like when you discussed switching to Paper API because it's better despite that meaning legacy Spigot code would stop working if used by an external adopter of TF's plugins.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• bungeecord is what I'd consider to be "legacy code".

Velocity is much more modernized and better written to match the times.

Since md5 cba to revisit old functions and systems to see if improvements can be made, I vouch in favor of Velocity

• we don't need further feedback. If I can approve this, then I approve this. Unfortunately though, I don't believe I have the jurisdiction to make the call. This is because it affects the entire network, and I believe my area of influence does not reach that far.