TotalFreedom Network Temporary Outage

• Unfortunately this evening there was a catastrophic failure of the permissions system, leading to severe network-wide consequences. Due to the complicated nature of remedying this problem combined with Ryan's busy schedule this weekend, the entire Minecraft network (freedom-01, skyblock-01, hub-03 etc) will be offline for at least 24 hours until the issues are properly fixed.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Edited once, last by erin (July 30, 2022 at 11:27 PM).

• absolute plex chicanery

I'll just say it here: Plex was not responsible for the error. Firstly, Plex doesn't have any integration with NM. Secondly, Ashaz was using ranks with Plex. That means the permission handler for Plex didn't even load. So even if there was a bug in Plex's permission system that caused this (which there isn't), there's no way it would have even done anything with the setup that was being used. And lastly, Plex is open source. There are no backdoors or viruses in Plex, and you're free to check for yourself

Edit: to clarify, permissions should have actually been used in this case. Using permissions when hooked up to a proxy is Plex's recommendation

Edited once, last by Telesphoreo (July 30, 2022 at 11:47 PM).

• absolute plex chicanery

I'll just say it here: Plex was not responsible for the error. Firstly, Plex doesn't have any integration with NM. Secondly, Ashaz was using ranks with Plex. That means the permission handler for Plex didn't even load. So even if there was a bug in Plex's permission system that caused this (which there isn't), there's no way it would have even done anything with the setup that was being used. And lastly, Plex is open source. There are no backdoors or viruses in Plex, and you're free to check for yourself

as someone who has been using plex on my own server, I can confirm that Plex’s permission system has been absolutely flawless so something else must’ve gone wrong

• What do yous suggest it is if not tfm rewrite plex given literally nothing else caused this and this happened directly after plex was installed

Ryan said earlier within the discord that it had something to do with the NM config for the events server never accounting for plugins like Plex being installed.

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities
    Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.
    discord.com

ピバラ。

• What do yous suggest it is if not tfm rewrite plex given literally nothing else caused this and this happened directly after plex was installed

most likely answer is configurations problems, as plex was likely trying to run its permission system while NM was trying to run its permission system, and then because the permissions systems were conflicting, both plugins systems ended up not working

Basicly both systems work perfectly fine on their own but when you just kinda slap another system onto the server it all breaks down

most likely answer is configurations problems, as plex was likely trying to run its permission system while NM was trying to run its permission system, and then because the permissions systems were conflicting, both plugins systems ended up not working

Basicly both systems work perfectly fine on their own but when you just kinda slap another system onto the server it all breaks down

To clarify:

- Plex was in ranks (TFM-like) mode so, according to Telesphoreo, permissions didn't load at all

- NetworkManager's permissions were off in events server, like it is in the freedom one, because we've been using LuckPerms for a while.

However, I've seen Plex and LuckPerms have run at the same time, which isn't a good idea unless Plex is set to run on permissions mode. Audit logs show it wasn't the case and confirm Ashaz's version

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

Edited once, last by Tizz (August 3, 2022 at 10:47 PM).

• Ryan said earlier within the discord that it had something to do with the NM config for the events server never accounting for plugins like Plex being installed.

This is ultimately the correct answer.

Plex was set to use ranks when permissions should have been used. Plex's permission system was never loaded. You are correct that when you try to slap all of these different systems together, shit will hit the fan.

The same thing would have happened if TFM was put on the events-02 server, because TFM works in the same way.

• The same thing would have happened if TFM was put on the events-02 server, because TFM works in the same way.

Uhh I need to check with Ashaz but he showed he tried or managed to start TFM on the events server before switching to Plex.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• I can’t reply properly on phone for some reason, can’t seem to quote properly. However:

- Reply to Tizz:

Luckperms was never enabled. If you heard that in VC there were others shouting at me (which is fair given the server was upside down) so there were probably things misheard.

- Regarding TFM:

I did attempt to load TFM but it wasn’t successful, at which point I contacted a plex developer about putting it on events-02, to which they said it would run like normal TFM. I was unaware of the various modes Plex had.

I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I’m ashamed of course this has happened. However, it would be good if people could stick to the facts and not make their own interpretations based on half of the story that they’ve heard

• skill issue and not a plex issue

no i'm not kidding anyone who has properly used plex has never had it shit on themselves like this and plex's permission system doesn't even do anything but check if a player has a permission, and if it's in rank mode then it just checks if they have ranks. there is no granting, there is no anything. just logic checks.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

• Current eta for restore is going to be the end of next weekend. Unfortunately I've only just got home and have commitments this week and the damage from what I've seen is substantial. Will update if this changes but so far I can't see me getting to look at this until the end of Friday and it'll be a day or two to fix the mess.