Debunking Misinformation & Hysteria Surrounding the 1.19.1 Chat Reporting Update

• Adding onto test 's response, this trailer isn't even made by Mojang. It's made by Vareide (video here). It can be surmised these are not promises made by Mojang.

It was on the official Minecraft website for many years. They obviously endorsed it and knowingly knew that was what players were going to see.

• It's not even the fact that they won't remove chat reporting. It's the fact that Mojang refuses to clarify anything. They won't talk about it on any social platforms, so many of us feel left in the dark. I personally don't care about the feature, since I have No Chat Reports mod anyways. It's the fact that Mojang is refusing to acknowledge anything, and they're straight up ignoring everyone.

• It's the fact that Mojang refuses to clarify anything.

Except, they have. See the Player Reporting FAQ.

They won't talk about it on any social platforms, so many of us feel left in the dark.

Except, they have. See this tweet.

I have No Chat Reports mod

For the future, whenever you're unduly kicked from a server after chatting or typing a command, disable this mod. It's been known to cause issues like this.

It's the fact that Mojang is refusing to acknowledge anything, and they're straight up ignoring everyone.

They're really not... If you're going to tweet at the McDonalds Twitter account and ask why they messed up the Hamburger you ordered, chances are you're going to be ignored or told to file a complaint. Tweeting at people isn't the correct way to file a complaint. Also, these accounts are ran by a separate department from the ones who actually make the game, so they're not going to talk about it unless specifically told to by management or the developers.

Tweeting at the developers and getting a snarky or rude response back and then getting outraged isn't really fair... Since they've been getting harassed, mocked and bullied by some members of the #saveminecraft community (not saying it's any of you); tweeting rude things at people who made a change you don't like just makes you a twerp.

• Luckily I don't play on any servers that prevent unsecure chat messages.

Also literally the only thing they said in that tweet was that they will crack down on people who abuse the system. That's all they've talked about at all.

You're really comparing this to McDonald's? It's not the corporation's fault that an employee made a mistake. Mojang is in on all this.

Yes I know Twitter is the worst place to speak up, but it's still a place to get your voice heard. I don't condone the rude behavior either.

Mojang already did a half-assed job on 1.19, and our expectations were too high. All that time since the update was announced, and we got a MILD update that really didn't add to the ambience of Minecraft all that much. To double-down and add something most of us DON'T like feels like a big middle finger and a slap in the face to the community. Now I understand that they can't do everything we ask for, but the fact that they're pulling all of the wrong cards lately has shown their incompetence lately.

It's not the fact that they added chat reporting, it's the fact that we're being moderated by MicroShit. They probably know more about us than we know about ourselves at this point.

Maybe if there was an option for server owners to opt-out of this, then it wouldn't be so bad. If server staff are being shitty, then just don't play on that server. Problem solved.

While I'm in the mood to rant, let's talk about them silently removing the Technoblade pig from the launcher. I've never watched his videos personally, but he was loved by tens of millions of people, if not hundreds. Mojang had added a Technoblade easter egg to the launcher, and then removed it quietly once people stopped talking about it. If they would've said "Hey, we are removing the easter egg from the launcher. This does not mean we don't care, and Technoblade will live on in our hearts." they would get much less backlash. It really seems like they were in it for the publicity the whole time.

All in all, I really don't want to have a bad opinion of Mojang. They made a game that's played a huge role in so many of our childhoods, built friendships, inspired others, created memories, and changed gaming forever. However, they're really pissing off everyone lately, and I don't see the game lasting another 5 years until they learn not to over-promise and under-deliver. Minecraft is not just a kids game, the adults that play too don't need to be treated like fucking children.

• You're really comparing this to McDonald's? It's not the corporation's fault that an employee made a mistake. Mojang is in on all this.

What's your point here? Something as massive as chat signatures and chat reporting isn't going to be added to a game by one employee, of course it's going to be the entire company...

Mojang already did a half-assed job on 1.19, and our expectations were too high. All that time since the update was announced, and we got a MILD update that really didn't add to the ambience of Minecraft all that much.

I agree here. Don't really like the Wild update all too much.

To double-down and add something most of us DON'T like feels like a big middle finger and a slap in the face to the community.

The thing with maintaining a massive software project (in this case Minecraft) is that you can't please everyone. You're much better to just double down on something you've added or when you "mess up" in the community's eyes next time you'll just get more hate. Every time you give in you'll get more hate. It's a vicious cycle. Even if you don't like chat signatures, from Mojang's point of view, they absolutely CAN'T remove them. The time to ask for their removal was during the snapshot phase of the 1.19 update. But, correct me if I'm wrong, nobody batted an eye.

While I'm in the mood to rant, let's talk about them silently removing the Technoblade pig from the launcher. I've never watched his videos personally, but he was loved by tens of millions of people, if not hundreds. Mojang had added a Technoblade easter egg to the launcher, and then removed it quietly once people stopped talking about it. If they would've said "Hey, we are removing the easter egg from the launcher. This does not mean we don't care, and Technoblade will live on in our hearts." they would get much less backlash. It really seems like they were in it for the publicity the whole time.

I guess it's like pride month. Corporations will show support of things and then in a month or so end up removing that display of support. I personally don't care.

However, they're really pissing off everyone lately, and I don't see the game lasting another 5 years

To be honest, I agree with not seeing the game last another 5 years, but it's for a different reason entirely. Have you seen the absolute state of the Minecraft Server and Client's codebase? It's absolutely fucking torturous to have to work with and run. I think development will eventually crawl to a snail's pace due to the absolute state it's in.

• To be honest, I agree with not seeing the game last another 5 years, but it's for a different reason entirely. Have you seen the absolute state of the Minecraft Server and Client's codebase? It's absolutely fucking torturous to have to work with and run. I think development will eventually crawl to a snail's pace due to the absolute state it's in.

I wouldn't say it'll die, more like dwindle in popularity to the point it's fan-games are more popular.

Minecraft only surpassed the 200M sales threshold and beat Tetris as the most sold game of all time for 2 reasons; It's very multi-platform and it had a recent resurgence as of late. Tetris is the same deal: ported from console to console to add to it's overall sales and it's one of the most classic and popular puzzle games of all time, the kind that don't die due to staying relevant over the generations.

Essentially Minecraft as a concept will live on very well, but the main game won't be much more than Gmod: a not-too-big but very dedicated community that just like to mess around with a game. Once popular servers also shut down (which they've already started by moving to bedrock, some shutting down the java versions), there won't be much to do besides joining smaller community driven servers.

Also would like to state Bedrock edition sadly will outlive Java's popularity solely due to it's format of cross-play and easy access via a mobile phone, but once Bedrock dies out, it actually dies and not in the way that Java will "die" by becoming small and community driven.

I'd also like to mention Microsoft pushing out Minecraft spin-offs as a desperate attempt to keep relevance and draw in more wider markets to their product. Just look at the news for these to see how well it's been working out for them. As for sales, the numbers are surprisingly low for a game that boasts a fifth of a billion sales. I'd expect more personally, but at least it shows the strategy of multiple spin-offs won't work.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• (which they've already started by moving to bedrock, some shutting down the java versions)

Only case of this I can remember in recent memory would be Hive. Although they moved because the Bedrock server was simply astronomically more popular than Java and was bringing in enough money for its maintenance, whereas the Java server was not.

As a developer I sure as hell don't want anything to do with Bedrock. They don't even have official native Linux or Mac OS, and the only option is to emulate the app on the respective mobile platform for the unsupported OS (Android for Linux and iOS app sideloading for MacOS). These "workarounds" don't work most of the time either. There's an annoying issue with an unofficial Bedrock Launcher for Linux where all textures are offset by 1.

Java will always be superior to Bedrock, at least for me.

• As a developer I sure as hell don't want anything to do with Bedrock. They don't even have official native Linux or Mac OS, and the only option is to emulate the app on the respective mobile platform for the unsupported OS (Android for Linux and iOS app sideloading for MacOS). These "workarounds" don't work most of the time either. There's an annoying issue with an unofficial Bedrock Launcher for Linux where all textures are offset by 1.

Exactly why Java will be the last remaining version of the game and bedrock will die out faster and completely.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• As a developer I sure as hell don't want anything to do with Bedrock. They don't even have official native Linux or Mac OS, and the only option is to emulate the app on the respective mobile platform for the unsupported OS (Android for Linux and iOS app sideloading for MacOS). These "workarounds" don't work most of the time either. There's an annoying issue with an unofficial Bedrock Launcher for Linux where all textures are offset by 1.

Exactly why Java will be the last remaining version of the game and bedrock will die out faster and completely.

I don't think this is true. I own Bedrock and I use it when I don't have my laptop with me. I assume there's also lots of Java-preferring players who own Bedrock solely to use it when they're out and about. Bedrock also has a larger playerbase than Java owing to the fact that it's available on almost every platform except for a non-Windows computer.