Suggestion:Void World

• Official Post

As the name suggests, a void world is essentially a map without any blocks in it to start with.

Its great for if you wanted to build floating island or even spaceships etc. Or if you have a build that stretches from 0-256 blocks that would normally be covered up by grass blocks lmao

This can be generated super easily on singleplayer with presets too.

• It's already approved but I'd like that we stopped relying on TFM for everything.

This could replace the plotworld once archived, if we eventually start using the new plot server.

• I think the original idea that I support was to allow players to have a different building experience with the same features available in the flatlands. Having it on a different server opens a ton of issues about not being able to use schematics, staff ranks etc.

I vouch for it to be oart of the freedom server.

• New
    • Official Post

I feel it is rather redundant to have a server specifically for the void when we can just add it into the TotalFreedomMod using that fancy world generation system I came up with specifically for suggestions like these.

The issue I was trying to avoid and am still trying to manage is the fact that our Freedom server worlds are problematic and difficult to fix without basically starting a brand new Freedom server and scrapping the current one...

• I feel it is rather redundant to have a server specifically for the void when we can just add it into the TotalFreedomMod using that fancy world generation system I came up with specifically for suggestions like these.

The issue I was trying to avoid and am still trying to manage is the fact that our Freedom server worlds are problematic and difficult to fix without basically starting a brand new Freedom server and scrapping the current one...

The issue with the freedom worlds are both our and minecrafts fault. On one hand, our world generation AND the worlds themselves are hard-coded. Video had created an implementation that changes it to be dynamic. The other hand is that mc world gen is ridiculously massive and as a result the more chunks loaded in and then saved to region files the more space they take up, in sizes of upwards of gigabytes. It's a hit or miss situation here; there's nothing we can do ourselves to abate the world sizes short of completely regenerating all the world folders.

• there's nothing we can do ourselves to abate the world sizes short of completely regenerating all the world folders.

False, there's a script Folfy_Blue created that removes chunks that have not been modified by a player. So, that's an option if the world sizes become too large again.

"Every problem has a solution, it's just some solutions are harder to find than others" - Unknown

• New
    • Official Post

there's nothing we can do ourselves to abate the world sizes short of completely regenerating all the world folders.

False, there's a script Folfy_Blue created that removes chunks that have not been modified by a player. So, that's an option if the world sizes become too large again.

Which requires multiple weeks of outage to run... It's what caused us a lot of headaches to execute last time even though it was invaluable to saving disk space. Splitting the worlds into different servers makes things that bit more portable and easier to manage if we need to run scripts like this, instead of what we had to do last time which involved taking the server offline, moving the world off the VM, letting TFM re-gen a clean world to use temporarily while we wait a few weeks for the script to do it's thing, because our world files are massive.

• there's a script Folfy_Blue created that removes chunks that have not been modified by a player

To my knowledge, that's incorrect. The version we ran only removed chunks where no entity had stepped in. It worked but wasn't as effective as hoped in flatlands, where a lot fo players have been flying aimlessy for a very long time, and Video used his archiving bot.

What you say is totally possible but it's more resource-intensive, and in non-flat worlds it'd need to compare each chunk with what the world generator would originally make.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!