Let's work together to fix things

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • In light of a recent thread by Miwo, I've decided to make a mega-suggestion highlighting many of the issues I am currently seeing on the server. My vision is to see that these are worked on once the "no-change" period is over.

Bringing back features and fixing existing ones:

• Fix /near - This command was broken ages ago and I'm guessing someone botched the implementation of making it hide vanished admins.
    • Brush and similar commands should be allowed. They are logged by CoreProtect, but it takes a long ass time due to how CoreProtect handles queues. If we were to replace CoreProtect with something like Prism, I'm sure this would be resolved.
    • Fix and bring back /getpos - This command is an extremely useful tool for determining your location. The command for some reason does not include worlds anymore, which should be corrected. "You can just use F3" is not a good excuse for restricting features like this. There are ways to prevent people from getting other players' coordinates that don't involve blocking commands.
    • Allow sand and concrete powder to be used in WorldEdit - I understand that these are gravity-related blocks, but surely there's a better way of dealing with blocks like that that don't involve blocking it, like disabling gravity.
    • Allow ops to use //fixwater and //fixlava - This command is likely a leftover from when we still blocked water and lava placement. As this is no longer the case, I believe it's appropriate to allow ops to use it.
    • Allow ops to drop items - This was disabled in fear that it could cause lag issues and be used for exploits. Is there not a better way to mitigate this issue (like moving all items into stacks or using some sort of plugin that allows admins to clear ops' NBT)?

Dealing with broken or problematic plugins:

• Consider our options for AsyncWorldEdit - This plugin is incredibly problematic. It's slow, inconsistent, and overall more of a pain in the ass than just regular WorldEdit. However, it's true that without this plugin the server would be much more worse-off than with it. Perhaps we should look into tweaking the plugin in such a way that it performs much better than currently.
    • Fix the permissions issue with WorldEdit - For some reason new players have to relog in order to be able to use WorldEdit. Perhaps we should look into why this is the case and fix it.

Adding features:

• Consider bringing back VoxelSniper - This was an incredibly helpful plugin when it was used properly. However, for some reason it was able to pull off some serious grief without being traceable. It was also extremely easily abused and even worse, had problems with permissions that basically make it uncontrollable. Perhaps we should look into a more professional implementation of getting VoxelSniper to work with CoreProtect (or Prism)'s logging and TFM's permissions. We'll have to do extensive testing to make sure it behaves properly.

Feel free to coin in your ideas and feedback. I'd love to see this server change for the better.

image.png

@videogamesm12#4015 Allow ops to drop items - This was disabled in fear that it could cause lag issues and be used for exploits. Is there not a better way to mitigate this issue (like moving all items into stacks or using some sort of plugin that allows admins to clear ops' NBT)?

Just because this was one that stood out and has been discussed before. Op's should be able to drop items, but there is an overall cap across the server. So if someone does spam it, it'll spoil it for the reset. Might need to be a better solution, and it might also need some tuning to make it work better than it currently does.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @wild1145#4022 Assign items to player to enforce a player wide cap? Also item grouping shouldn't be too harsh, right?

• @Reperak#4043 Storing every item a player has dropped against them in memory feels like a bad idea for a few reasons tbh. And my general view is unless people are spamming drops and trying to lag the server (At which point manually wiping those types of entities and yeeting them) we should be able to still have the current solution we have, just potentially at a higher limit.

Wild1145

@videogamesm12#4015 Fix /near - This command was broken ages ago and I'm guessing someone botched the implementation of making it hide vanished admins.

This has been picked up as a bug under FS-43

@videogamesm12#4015 Brush and similar commands should be allowed. They are logged by CoreProtect, but it takes a long ass time due to how CoreProtect handles queues. If we were to replace CoreProtect with something like Prism, I'm sure this would be resolved.

I agree, FS-87 raised to validate everything is logged as expected and re-enable them if it is.

@videogamesm12#4015 Fix and bring back /getpos - This command is an extremely useful tool for determining your location. The command for some reason does not include worlds anymore, which should be corrected. "You can just use F3" is not a good excuse for restricting features like this. There are ways to prevent people from getting other players' coordinates that don't involve blocking commands.

Given I think we still maintain a custom versions of Essentials I'll suggest we either modify that to re-allow this without players looking up other players, or to implement something from scratch to replicate the functionality. FS-88 raised to do this.

@videogamesm12#4015 Allow sand and concrete powder to be used in WorldEdit - I understand that these are gravity-related blocks, but surely there's a better way of dealing with blocks like that that don't involve blocking it, like disabling gravity.

Agree, we've talked a few times about disabling gravity but I don't think I've raised tickets before to do it.

FS-89 raised to disable gravity.

Once that's done / if it's possible then FS-90 is raised to re-allow Sand, Concrete and any other blocks that have historically been blocked due to gravity concerns.

@videogamesm12#4015 Allow ops to use //fixwater and //fixlava - This command is likely a leftover from when we still blocked water and lava placement. As this is no longer the case, I believe it's appropriate to allow ops to use it.

Agreed, FS-91 raised to do this.

@videogamesm12#4015 Allow ops to drop items - This was disabled in fear that it could cause lag issues and be used for exploits. Is there not a better way to mitigate this issue (like moving all items into stacks or using some sort of plugin that allows admins to clear ops' NBT)?

Think this has been picked up on another thread, if not please shout.

@videogamesm12#4015 Consider our options for AsyncWorldEdit - This plugin is incredibly problematic. It's slow, inconsistent, and overall more of a pain in the ass than just regular WorldEdit. However, it's true that without this plugin the server would be much more worse-off than with it. Perhaps we should look into tweaking the plugin in such a way that it performs much better than currently.

This is a fairly large change and something we've discussed on some other threads. In the shorter term I've raised FS-92 to re-review the config and see if we can better tune the plugin to increase the performance.

@videogamesm12#4015 Fix the permissions issue with WorldEdit - For some reason new players have to relog in order to be able to use WorldEdit. Perhaps we should look into why this is the case and fix it.

FS-93 raised to investigate.

@videogamesm12#4015 Consider bringing back VoxelSniper - This was an incredibly helpful plugin when it was used properly. However, for some reason it was able to pull off some serious grief without being traceable. It was also extremely easily abused and even worse, had problems with permissions that basically make it uncontrollable. Perhaps we should look into a more professional implementation of getting VoxelSniper to work with CoreProtect (or Prism)'s logging and TFM's permissions. We'll have to do extensive testing to make sure it behaves properly.

This one I'm not so sure about, but I think it would be worth putting some dev and sys-admin time into doing a proper impact assessment and working out if we can do this and what the implications of doing so would be, and ultimately how much work it's going to take to do it properly... I've raised FS-94 to do this.

Wild1145