A permission group for automated accounts / bots

• I saw this discussion happening on this discord and thought a dedicated post would allow for more structured arguments.

Should it be a thing? What would it even do?

Also, I know there were some arguments about what is defined as a bot explicitly, and I think a good answer to that question would be any account that runs on a "headless client" (aka mineflayer) and does certain actions either automatically or by player request.

ピバラ。

• No. This would make creating bots annoying and would be difficult to impose on the first place. There is no way to differentiate from a bot and a regular player on the server's side, even with captchas, as those are not very difficult to bypass (see any sort of minecraft botting tool and you'll realize why they're useless). Not only that, but there is no reason to be doing this in the first place.
    Bots can do what players can do, and players can do what bots can do. They should be under the same rules.

• No, this is probably the dumbest suggestion I've ever seen in my life.

How is this even supposed to work with TFM?

How are you even going to define a bot? A headless client? Well, how are you going to know the client is headless? Are you going to remote into their computer and check to see if Java is running?

As @"Luna__"#2532 said, bots are exactly the same as players. As such, they should have exactly the same permissions, rights etc.

But a suggestion I would consider vouching on was to remove the low-effort, useless & spammy ones (hint: Seb's bot) from the server.