Hubs suggestions/feedback megathread

• Its pretty clear from what I've seen on the forum the last couple days, that the hub is currently high on the agenda of players. So I've decided, since this is such a big topic, we may as well merge all threads together, to keep track.

Removing the hub
    Suggested by @"noah"#40

I’ve seen people vouching for removing it and to stay organised i’ve made this thread. Here is my proposal:
    Remove the hub and possibly replace it with a fallback chat server for if the server dies.

• Freedom will be the default server since everyone joins for just that
    • Skyblock is dead not saying to remove it but just saying its dead and not as important imo
    • Events arent very often and the command can just be put in chat on freedom-01 without problem.
    • If anyone has additional ideas provide them and ill list them (with credit)

Remove Hub Moderators
    Suggested by @"Cacteu"#35

Freedom-01 has been getting raided for multiple weeks now, and the raiders have decided to use the hub to spam everyone’s messages in freedom-01. Considering that no one’s really in the hub for most of the time, why does the hub moderator role need to exist? Without it, admins can just take on their role and the raids can be dealt with easier and faster.

So, my two cents on the matter is, that I don't really see a need for the hub, because the only people that seem to be in it are either AFK people, or people who have been banned from freedom-01 anyway lol. I think most of the suggestions surrounding the hub have been amplified from the fact of the recent raids which have been occuring.

image.png

• My impression is that the hub's existence has a more deep meaning for the ownership.

Removing the hub means doing a U-turn on Ryan's expansion plans that he made since his owner application. In other words, you convince Ryan to delete the hub, you get rid of his purpose in this place and any future addition to TF.

Be careful of what you ask and reply with what you believe it's better for the community's survival.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Vouch for removing the hub. I fully believe you can expand the servers without involving Bungeeing them and/or using NetworkManager. I've fucked up my windows install so once that's finished reinstalling I'll follow up with a more detailed post

• Object, there really is no reason to remove the hub, the only thing it does is allow for the room to grow. If y’all can’t handle 2 extra clicks to get to the freedom server (or 1 command) I don’t know what to tell you. Having the hub is good as a fallback when tf goes down, meaning players aren’t fully lost, thus improving retention. Additionally it’s good as like a security checkpoint, if a spammer or spambot joins and instantly starts spamming (ideally) a hub mod could catch that and ban em before they are able to cause harm in the freedom server or any other server. having a hub also means we can have better ban management on a per-game mode basis, like for instance, I could be banned on the freedom server, but could still participate in an event, which i think is a good thing, without a hub, as you propose it, if I get banned on the freedom server I’m unable to join anywhere else, this would also be a negative from a player retention point of view. Finally, it allows new players to clearly see what the server has to offer, I remember when smp was simply linked to the freedom server, new people would end up either joining the smp and not know that the freedom server existed, or be on the freedom server and be completely unaware that a smp server even exists.

However, I will say that from a builders point of view, the hub absolutely needs to be rebuilt and be made much much smaller, it’s too hard to work with and nobody really looks at the other parts of the hub anyways.

For the second part, I vouch for the removal of hub mod as soon as TFM’s NM integration is done

• I think the hub should auto-connect you to the freedom-01 server when you join / when the server goes down so that it functions as a pure fallback server. The "/hub-03" whatever it's called command should keep you in the hub though, if you really need to be there.

ピバラ。

• Vouch for removing the hub.
    As I've said in the previous thread and as Yurni has said in this one, we should replace it with Freedom-02 and make Freedom-01 and Freedom-02 redirect to eachother when either stops for a bit. It'd be much more fun to mess around in an almost identical copy of the main server while the main one is down.
    As for other gamemodes/events, they usually get used for a few days after the initial launch and then don't get a large playerbase afterwards. Freedom-01 is the server with all the players

Vouch for removing hub moderators.
    They should be replaced with a bungee-wide moderator/administrator role and all hub moderators should get this role if it's removed. Allowing someone other than Ryan to ban people on the Bungee would heavily speed up the punishment of cross-server abusers (people who /msg cross server when they're banned from F-01 and as such aren't able to be moderated by F-01 admins). Also, since hub moderators are only able to ban from the hub, if an abuser is online on the time of an event being active, after getting banned from the Hub they're probably able to bypass this ban by joining an events forced host.

If NetworkManager is unable to provide sufficient Bungee-wide moderations, I personally recommend LibertyBans as it's open source and highly customizable.

Allink we should replace it with Freedom-02

Not saying we shouldn't consider it but, what's the point of having 2 identical servers (well, not really, what you'd do in one wouldn't be in the other)?

Allink If NetworkManager is unable to provide sufficient Bungee-wide moderations

It does. As stated multiple times, you devs never made TFM compatible with NM despite it being requested for a year. They'll just conflict with each other. I'd dare saying it's partly your fault for the global moderation isssues.

Tizz Not saying we shouldn’t consider it but, what’s the point of having 2 identical servers (well, not really, what you’d do in one wouldn’t be in the other)?

They could be fallbacks for when one dies (either due to an admin stopping it or an undesirable crashing it)

Tizz It does. As stated multiple times, you devs never made TFM compatible with NM despite it being requested for a year. They’ll just conflict with each other. I’d dare saying it’s partly your fault for the global moderation isssues.

I daresay it's partly your fault for wanting us to add compatibility for a paid, closed-source plugin (which doesn't really help us see how things actually work so we don't conflict in some way with it) with virtually no (or hard to find) documentation... This wouldn't have been an issue if we didn't switch to Bungee (which is essentially pointless since nobody plays on the other servers anyways) and just let TFM handle all of the moderation.

Also, it should be said that I've only been a developer for less than 2 weeks, and have only really started to read TotalFreedomMod's large codebase a few months ago.
    Plus, my forté is in patching exploits in Scissors, as I said on my developer application and not maintaining near decade-old shitcode.
    I don't particularly think anyone should be blamed for this, anyways...

• I don't think the hub has a real reason to exist to be honest, but it would be great if it was changed up once and a while since it is the same map with minor changes. I can put this into a suggestion to change out the hub map annually or something like that.

Also I would love if you removed all of the command blocks in the hub and substitute them for a plugin as the idea of using command blocks is plain outright idiotic. They shouldn't have been there in the first place since it can cause so many issues.

Also compatibility between NetworkManager and TFM will be very hard and time consuming to do and practically be useless since both are completely different to each other. I personally think the both are uncapable of working flawlessly since they both do two completely different things and I'd rather bug fixes and stuff over the compatibility for both to work with each other. I don't see exactly how it is hindering the moderation with both of them not being capable of working alongside each other, but anyways this is all I have to say.

meow-upscaled.png

• Vouch, but its removal doesn't have to be permanent. If Wild has some expansion plans, then it can be added back when the time is right and it's better configured. At the moment, it is just causing issues and is not entirely useful. To add to that, there is a lack of permissions for admins to moderate in hub, and command blocks probably shouldn't be controlling stuff at spawn.

•   eva NetworkManager has an API so that you can use TFM to do things that should be on Bungee level . Not sure which is easier, understanding the API or going through the mess that's our own plugin.

Noah who the fucks idea was this

The original hub builders. You can see their names in the side of the hub's credits room. Lykhant was the exec back then. 🙃

Noah Wait spawn is powered by command blocks? Holy shit who the fucks idea was this

yep basicly the whole hub is powered by command blocks, mainly because we didn't have enough devs or the dev time for anyone to care to make a plugin for it even though it wouldn't even be hard

Tizz Eva NetworkManager has an API so that you can use TFM to do things that should be on Bungee level . Not sure which is easier, understanding the API or going through the mess that’s our own plugin.

None. TFM is currently a mess, so integrating NetworkManager's API into TFM is more complicated. The majority of the API is not even documented, so it's just guesswork to incorporate the API. Doing this will just take way too much of our time. Hence the reason the work hasn't been done.