Enforce Better Chat Restrictions

• Trigger Warning: This thread will include words that may be offensive to some.

Chat and commands need an increased time limit in-between messages. Also, enforcing a basic chat filter--only banning derogatory words such as "N@GGER" or "F@GGOT"--would not hurt anyone and only make it harder for trolls to join and spam. Obviously yes, they can be easily bypassed, but nothing else is being done to prevent these raids other than admins just sitting in-game and continuously banning. As time goes on, that chat filter can be improved to better filter out attempts of bypassing it. I do not see it being easily bypassed as a valid argument. We continue to ban people despite it being easy to bypass a ban.

Admins cannot be relied on 24/7 to stop these raids. It gets even worse when the spamming is being done from Hub using /msg. Due to the lack of permissions admins have in Hub, they essentially cannot do anything until a hub moderator comes on (which is also really dumb, but unrelated to this thread).

Popular servers, such as Hypixel, wouldn't have a chat filter if it didn't work. Just imagine Hypixel’s servers with a ton of admins just constantly banning people and clearing chat because they decided that a chat filter was too easy to bypass.

Here are some examples of something that could be EASILY prevented if we enforced a BASIC chat filter. Nothing crazy.

Screenshot by @"Alco_Rs11"#91

• Gonna be real, a chat filter won't do justice against this. It'll only invite them to just find ways around it which is often very easy.

I do not see it being easily bypassed as a valid argument. We continue to ban people despite it being easy to bypass a ban.

This is not the same as bypassing a ban. Simply changing up characters is not the same as getting a large bank of alts and using something like ProtonVPN to log in and hope you're not detected should not be compared to skirting a chat filter.

And for the "raids," this is just a temporary thing that will eventually have an end.

I Object.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

•   Alco_Rs11 It will do justice. Maybe not a lot, but it is better than nothing. And as mentioned in the thread, it is something that can be approved as time goes on. At this point, nothing else is being done other than continuous back and forth of this person bypassing bans, joining, spamming, and admins sitting there just banning.

Alco_Rs11 And for the “raids,” this is just a temporary thing that will eventually have an end.

This server has been experiencing raids since at least when I joined which was 2013 and I assume they've been happening long before that. They are not going away anytime soon.

•   Xen These raiders can simply just change up the script and use special characters to bypass most rudimentary chat filters. They clearly know what they're doing and they'll adapt to the presence of a filter and find other ways to do their business of spamming.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• @' 5 ' Slowing down the sending of messages has a drawback to fast typers. I'm a fast typer and I get very annoyed at having a forced delay for chatting. I'm sure anyone else who types fast would feel the same about it.

Also, as for the chat filter thing, Roblox is an example of how a chat filter is not very effective. They filter certain words when people are creating account usernames and it's very easy to find ways to skirt it and come up with some pretty offensive usernames, regardless of the filter.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

@' 5 ' blacklisting words is ineffective. there are thousands of ways to alter a slur that wouldn’t trip a hardcoded filter but would remain understandable for a fluent speaker. and then there is also putting it in a different language like they did with the ashaz thing.

Yes, this is true, but currently, you don't even need to alter the word for it to be sent to chat for everyone to see. Why would we ban these words, but only rely on admins to moderate them? If someone decided to send the word "N#GGER" and the server stopped them, then BOOM that is more than what is being done right now.

Alco_Rs11 Also, as for the chat filter thing, Roblox is an example of how a chat filter is not very effective. They filter certain words when people are creating account usernames and it’s very easy to find ways to skirt it and come up with some pretty offensive usernames, regardless of the filter.

Right, but that filter is still there to prevent obvious attempts. It isn't perfect, but something is better than nothing.

•   Telesphoreo Again, that may be true, but the alternative is to what? Do nothing? Relying on admins and hub mods to stay in-game 24/7 and ban spammers isn't very effective either. Especially when there are none on at all.

With that chat filter, we can at least deter some spammers. Not all of them are lifeless losers who have scripts, a ton of alt accounts, and a VPN. Some are just idiots who try it once and get banned, then never come back.

•   Xen > With that chat filter, we can at least deter some spammers. Not all of them are lifeless losers who have scripts and a ton of alt accounts. Some are just idiots who try it once and get banned, then never come back

See: TFMs AntiSpam

If you want my opinion it's to get rid of the bungeeing entirely. The whole bungee situation has been a disaster and created more problems than solved.

Telesphoreo See: TFMs AntiSpam

Whatever system TFM has for AntiSpam, it is either not enabled or not working. Either way, something else needs to be done.

Telesphoreo If you want my opinion it’s to get rid of the bungeeing entirely. The whole bungee situation has been a disaster and created more problems than solved.

I most definitely agree. Many of the raids were done via Hub using /msg that made it to everyone, despite them not being in Hub. With that, it also made it more difficult--impossible I should say--for admins to moderate due to their lack of permissions in Hub.

• For anyone who is against the idea, simply because "it is easy to bypass," please provide me with one con that would come about if we were to implement a BASIC chat filter, blacklisting ONLY common derogatory words/terms. Who or what would be negatively affected by this action (other than the people attempting to use the words/terms of course)?

Alco_Rs11 Slowing down the sending of messages has a drawback to fast typers. I’m a fast typer and I get very annoyed at having a forced delay for chatting. I’m sure anyone else who types fast would feel the same about it.

Regarding this, chat restrictions with time limits in-between messages can and should be exempted for admins.