grant video filesystem access on freedom-01

• When it comes to the server, I have put an unparalleled amount of time and effort into this server in the interest of not only keeping the lights running, but ensuring that they're as bright as possible. It should not be surprising that I would want file access like this, considering I've had it before and had utilized it to preserve the server's history and fix problems caused by other people's fuck-ups.

For example, at some point in late 2019 or early 2020, Robin accidentally updated the server to 1.15. Instead of actually testing his shit on a local server, he instead said "fuck it" and went with the botched update anyways. What followed was an incredibly unstable experience on the server as he had also installed FastAsyncWorldEdit on the server without checking to see if it was even logged by CoreProtect. When shit inevitably hit the fan, he essentially said "fuck it, it's your problem now". I ended up spending several hours trying to unfuck the server enough to the point where it would be usable again.

Also, to alleviate Ryan's concerns about me downloading or sharing shit, I would always ask for permission first. I have also been increasingly transparent about what I have archived over the years, to the point where I even included the results from a tree command on the dedicated drive. Likewise, Ryan is aware of the system I have set up on my end to automatically download logs and schematics. In addition, I don't share any information that is considered recent. The whole reason I have been incredibly hesitant about releasing data from \~October 2020 because I know Ryan is understandably apprehensive about what data from around his time should be public and what shouldn't.

With the QA process, I have always made sure to test my changes locally before pushing them to GitHub. I can back this up with server logs from when I used my local test server to do it.

image.png

@'Ryan' I’m personally reluctant to grant anyone file system access for a few reasons, one is to ensure we maintain a reasonable qa process or at least the checks and balances around it, some is around separating privileges to try to minimise risk if accounts are breached, and some are because I don’t want people taking unauthorised backups / copies of the file system and potentially sharing them.

Isn’t it Steven’s decision at the end of the day?

• @'wxtermelon' Steven controls who has access and the level of access. There are some general restrictions (which I should probably formally document) when we grant file system access that need to be followed like not cloning copies externally and all that good stuff or sharing files with non file system access individuals. I'm simply giving my own view on this thread.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• At the current time Video does now have file system access as an exception to the normal rules. This (As with all file system access and non-standard access) will be regularly reviewed, and revoked when it's deemed no longer required.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 September 18, 2022 at 12:30 AM

Closed the thread.