Replace TFGuilds with a factions plugin

• Should TFGuilds be replaced with a factions plugin? 17

1. Yes (2) 12%
    2. No (15) 88%

Good evening TotalFreedom, my name is Telephone and welcome to my TED talk.

At present, we use a plugin called TFGuilds to manage the "guilds" (or user groups as I'd prefer to refer to them as) that users can create and join. These user groups can be allies, enemies and neutral with one another, but as of now there isn't really a reliable way to protect your land from invasion of privacy and destruction, and there isn't a way to claim land on your own. There also isn't a reliable way to manage these user groups as they can often be broken, with problems ranging from user groups not being disbanded right up to not being able to rename a group. This, is where a factions plugin comes in.

A factions plugin would allow for easy management of these user groups (or guilds, factions, whatever you wanna call them) as they are bug tested before released and maintained by external developers. These plugins also often integrate well with most permissions solutions and offer easy land claim options which allow for the "guilds" here on TotalFreedom to easily protect their land from invasion of privacy and griefing. These plugins also offer reliable "guild" management features that our existing solution (TFGuilds) offers but cannot be reliable on, including deleting guilds and renaming guilds to say the least. Finally, a factions plugin also offers the other features we offer such as being able to set other "guilds" as an ally, enemy or neutral and it also offers private chats and a ranking system within "guilds". Anyways you get my point, I think it'd be a damn good idea to improve this place as it makes the plugins and features more reliable for users and it allows for easier code management for our development team as they no longer have to work with what has become the bug ridden mess that we call TFGuilds.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk guys, leave a like and gimme a comment in the description, oh and don't forget to fill in that poll.

• Object. Factions changes many of the mechanics of the server. All land on the server becomes part of a faction. There is also no stable Factions plugin. There's a ton of forks, some get updated, some don't. WorldGuard should be more accessible for OPs. I know we have makeopregion but I don't know if OPs can use it. There's also a shitload of permissions and other stuff that has to be configured that isn't practical for TF

•   Telesphoreo I'm gonna be honest here, yeah TFGuilds doesn't require the mess around that Factions would require in terms of permissions, however factions plugins as a whole seem to be able to manage groups of users much better than what TFGuilds currently can and the mainstream factions plugins get regular updates. Worldguard itself will probably never be that accessible to end users on here and thus leaves OPs with no ways to protect their build without asking an admin, and then that's dependant on whether the admin in question WANTS to carry out a worldguard task on a given structure. Also I'm pretty sure not all land would have to be part of a faction as when you're configuring a factions plugin you still have to manually flag land that's for factions to claim, land that's "Warzone", "Safezone" and "Wilderness". Pretty sure if you don't want any of those flags on specific parts of a world, it's possible. Why do people still defend TFGuilds when all I ever really see with that plugin is people moaning about stuff being broken, stop settling with bug ridden broken code just because it's the easier option.

•   Telesphoreo But in that case, you're saying a buggy hot mess that's causing nothing but issues for the end user is a viable solution, when in fact that wouldn't really be the truth. If it's broke, fix it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. TF's dev team has enough of a task on keeping the server up to date so why burden yourself trying to fix extremely broken code when you can implement an easy to use, fuss free solution that doesn't need to waste the resources of the dev team trying to iron out bugs in broken code.

•   Telephone You've just stated two things that aren't realistic or practical. It's not just those two things, some plugins don't work with TFMs permissions, we'd have to check for exploits, and don't get me started on the lane claims. We'd have to make sure admins could access the land, make sure it isn't possible to claim other land, and frankly it's impractical to setup specific land claims by admins since the world is always changing.

Telesphoreo some plugins don’t work with TFMs permissions

Not a dev but I think any plugin relying on permission nodes won't work with TFM's built-in ranks. I've seen what's different in the custom version of some plugins we've deployed and in most cases it loks like TFM integration has been added and all node checks had to be replaced by a TFM function.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager