Forum Account Registration - Temporarily Disabled

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Due to an attack against our forum infrastructure overnight, I've taken the the decision to temporarily remove the ability to sign up for new accounts.

Due to oversights in Flarum on how their API rate limiting works, attackers were able to programmatically create and verify over 1800 new accounts overnight, which I suspect would have ultimately been used for spamming. Flarum has plans to fix this issue, but no timeline as of yet on when.

I'll look this evening to see if I can put our own work-around in place to rate limit these endpoints, which will also resolve the issue with password resets hopefully.

For those without accounts that wish to appeal a ban, please either ask someone in the discord to post it on your behalf, or e-mail banappeals@totalfreedom.me

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• We really should just shitcan Flarum at this point. The lack of basic security and overall functionality, combined with the "modern" design it adapts, really makes it an unattractive forum to work with.

Forum software should be built to be secure out of the fucking box, and yet Flarum by design requires you to do the extra work of actively searching for extensions to resolve basic security issues. Why should we have to hope in vain for an extension to be made in order to solve something that other forum software would have out of the box?

This whole situation is yet another reason to add to the very long list of reasons why Flarum should be shitcanned altogether. It works for other communities, but clearly not ours.

image.png

• Registration has now been re-opened. We've added some additional security measures to help protect us against spam account registration going forward.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK