Ownership Policy Suggestion - OP Voting

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • As taken from the original thread here - https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/35-edit-owne…cy-to-allow-ops

The Ownership policy currently doesn't allow for ops to vote.

I propose we make a bot that gets linked to the player's minecraft account. After the account is linked they gain access to the polls subboard. Once they have access they can vote. This removes potential for vote rigging.

If you want to make it extra stern make it so they also need to link their account to a Discord account, however I don't advise this as some players don't use Discord

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• This is theoretically solvable by requiring voters to prove that their account was already active in the community before it became known that the ownership policy was going to be invoked, but verifying that is of course a huge amount of work.

• As per the other post, we need either more support for this / thoughts on this, else I'll deny this due to the lack of support.

Wild1145

• @Xen#5251 that's the point of this suggestion... One needs to be proposed... I and others haven't found a good solution...

Wild1145

• @wild1145#5258 Even though you do not advise Discord, I think that'd probably be the easiest and most secure way. If you go with linking Minecraft accounts, then maybe require a certain amount of Non-AFK playtime on the server as well as a certain amount of posts on the forum.

• @Xen#5262 if you can write up a way we can do it technically then we can consider it. The issue is defining an op in my view.

Because I used to technically be an op but didn't play in game, so even though I had like 6 years on the server because I wasn't active does that make me less of an op?

We need to define the criteria for voting. How we are going to find a way to automate the process and get that agreed...

Wild1145

• @Xen#5262 Discord wouldn't work, you can make as many discord accounts as you have emails

@Miwojedk#5266 Vouch on the 30 day idea, hopefully we can find a way to automate this with the new forum software that we end up moving to whatever that may be.

• @Miwojedk#5266 but then I can still rig the vote really easily by registering hundreds of forum accounts over a few months and only logging back in on them to vote. Would be perfectly allowed but would skew the vote significantly.

Wild1145

• @wild1145#5276 sure, but A) this is such a minute possibility and B) the new inflow of ops will certainly mitigate this and@ C) don't we have forum accounts deleted after a set intervaæ of inactivity. We could just delete op accounts if they were only active for say 10 days or less and then went inactive for more than 2-3 months. This is the best solution IMO

Your argument is really similar to Voter ID laws in the US perpetuated by Republucans.

• @Miwojedk#5278

1) Depends how badly you wanna be owner I guess. I nearly did this to prove a point to Seth that allowing voting on every decision is stupid. All it takes is a couple of hours and a password manager.

2) Depends on the scale of fake accounts I guess. I'm talking 50 plus accounts. That would sway most votes...

3) Not anymore. Once you have an account the only reason it would be deleted is in line with data protection regulations.

I'm not saying this is a likely problem but it's one we should be a good answer to imo. There was a lot of discussion around op voting in the first place and we couldn't reach a consensus while also maintaining the requirement for as accurate a genuine vote as is possible, something I think we should still be striving for rather than compromising too heavily.

To be honest some of this is answered when we go back to the other question I asked here which is "how do we define an OP" because once you know that, this problem could just go away naturally if it would require considerably more time or expenditure

Wild1145

• @elmon#5279 Because that still doesn't solve this issue and puts people off using the forums as well as increasing the amount of work an admin has to do.

I could easily still create 50 fake accounts without anyone spotting it...

Wild1145

• @wild1145#5272 Active in the community OPs with a certain amount of in-game playtime, a certain amount of time spent in the Discord, and a certain amount of time and/or a certain amount of posts on the forum.

A command could possibly be created to "register to vote." Once run, it will check in-game playtime, forum account age & post count, and a check for a Discord role given after a certain amount of time of being in the server. If they pass all the checks, then it'll give them access to voting.

I understand that this would take a while to implement and would be difficult, but since this is something that isn't something that is needed immediately, I think it can be done. If done properly, this could very beneficial, even for day-to-day voting that isn't just voting for the Owner.

@elmon#5273 Discord wouldn't work, you can make as many discord accounts as you have emails

With that logic, any solution could easily be ruled out. MC Alts can be used, Discord Alts can be used, someone can make different forum accounts, etc. If we implement requirements on multiple levels, then it'd be harder to rig votes.