What Can We Do Better?

•   MagAgentV3 Okay let's take a look. I think I replied to you on Discord, if you can head to #support on Discord we'll work through what's causing it because I can't see what would obviously be causing it. I'm guessing it's a case of rubbish filters…

rrnu I think a global chat between tf servers (hub, freedom, and any other servers) would be nice

So this is an idea I've been considering on and off for a while, I think right now it's not a big deal because the hub is currently just a stepping stone for 98% of players, but I'm thinking of ideas around cross-server guild chats and cross-server "Party Chat". I'm not sure I want to just link the chats themselves globally up for a few reasons. But yes, as part of rolling Skyblock into the core network and other game-modes in the future this is 100% something I'm thinking about, and trying to work out how best to actually make it work in a sensible place.

EDIT: Also happy to hear reasons on why we might want to be doing that now, is there a sensible reason to link the global chats now / in the near future?

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@'Ryan' I’d be keen to know how people would further remove / simplify things…?

I would remove the limitations on speech and rather encourage players /ignore disruptive players (this is a much more nuanced issue and i get that but thats what I’d argue for). I’d also probably ease up grief sanctions in the flatlands, if you don’t want your build to be destroyed you should use the plotworld.

Larger goals would be removing the idea of “admin discretion”. I think its senseless and counter productive to leave things up to an admin’s judgement rather than actually spending time and documenting a staff handbook. It would make sanctions more uniform and would avoid admins losing their shit because of their own feelings etc. I say this because I know I would not sanction against things other admins might, and that’s a substantial lapse in the staffing system here. I don’t see the use for promoting admin discretion other than as a cover up for being too lazy to write a staff handbook.

On a much larger scale, I think there needs to be an executive reshuffle in the ECM and possibly ECD (not sure how much Dragon will do as assistant or what they’ve been doing) departments. The ECM team is completely stagnant and they have not had a successful event for about 8 months (I am using the last successful MiniSMP as the example here). I am sympathetic towards Lyicx after reading his demoralisation post, but frankly it isn’t enough sympathy to be okay with him sitting on an empty rank. There are plenty of capable and willing members on this server who have the drive and passion to try their best, which is a lot better than doing absolutely nothing.

• I think removing the ability to make yourself invisible would be a good idea, since 99.99% of people use it to troll, grief or annoy. That, or add a command for us to see invisible players without having to do /near and /invis.

Also, there have been a few cases where people /msg me and harass me (not saying any names.) A way to block private messages in-game would put an end to potential harassment and annoyance.

RedEastWood I would remove the limitations on speech and rather encourage players /ignore disruptive players (this is a much more nuanced issue and i get that but thats what I’d argue for).

So the goal of the new community guidelines (and previously removing the Zero Tolerance Policy) was to try to move away from naughty words lists and the likes, and to try to encourage context to be judged by those online or those reviewing the reports. I agree with part of the point you make further on in your reply though where the guidance around this probably needs to be improved, and I know videogamesm12 has been keen for some time to start writing up a form of hand-book or similar.

RedEastWood I’d also probably ease up grief sanctions in the flatlands, if you don’t want your build to be destroyed you should use the plotworld.

I personally have no objections to this, but I'd like the wider communities input. With the launch in the coming months of the Plots Server, and eventually moving some of the other worlds out of the Freedom server, I'm personally not against transitioning the Freedom server to something closer to a "Sandbox" and given some of the changes 1.18 introduces, we might be semi-forced down that route, though I would suggest it's something I would want more community support on, and would hopefully be a decision for StevenNL2000 to make.

RedEastWood Larger goals would be removing the idea of “admin discretion”. I think its senseless and counter productive to leave things up to an admin’s judgement rather than actually spending time and documenting a staff handbook. It would make sanctions more uniform and would avoid admins losing their shit because of their own feelings etc. I say this because I know I would not sanction against things other admins might, and that’s a substantial lapse in the staffing system here. I don’t see the use for promoting admin discretion other than as a cover up for being too lazy to write a staff handbook.

So I agree with having an admin handbook / something more formal than what we currently have, and I agree it will help quite a bit. Our "Guidance for issuing sanctions" post isn't really great, and was designed to try to help standardise the issuance of sanctions. I will say though I disagree that admin discretion is a bad thing, context is very important especially in TF, and I think to move to effectively a binary "Good / Bad" setup for admins to follow just leads to the problem we had with the old conduct policy, which was nobody bothered reading it because it had to get stupidly long to account for every loophole that ever came up.

I think a middle ground of better and more complete (and maintained) guidance for admins would probably solve a lot of these issues, without going back to a state where our conduct policy actually becomes long to cover every loophole?

Would appreciate your thoughts though, I might be missing something…

RedEastWood On a much larger scale, I think there needs to be an executive reshuffle in the ECM and possibly ECD (not sure how much Dragon will do as assistant or what they’ve been doing) departments. The ECM team is completely stagnant and they have not had a successful event for about 8 months (I am using the last successful MiniSMP as the example here). I am sympathetic towards Lyicx after reading his demoralisation post, but frankly it isn’t enough sympathy to be okay with him sitting on an empty rank. There are plenty of capable and willing members on this server who have the drive and passion to try their best, which is a lot better than doing absolutely nothing.

I agree is the short answer. It's on the list of things I need to talk to StevenNL2000 about when he returns, and a re-shuffle is probably at this point in order. I think the ECD issue should be resolved, or at the very least I'd like to personally give things a fair chance to settle down and to see if the role change is effective, but I think a shuffle in how the ECM is is at this point in order. Again, on my list of things to talk to Steven about is events in general and what we do about them, because I don't think the current setup works as a pattern anyway and I'm not sure the server space we use to host them is worth it now.

rrnu I think removing the ability to make yourself invisible would be a good idea, since 99.99% of people use it to troll, grief or annoy. That, or add a command for us to see invisible players without having to do /near and /invis.

Yeah, I think we have a suggestion already approved for this and it's just waiting on the dev team to do the work to get it added. Let me check and get back to you.

rrnu Also, there have been a few cases where people /msg me and harass me (not saying any names.) A way to block private messages in-game would put an end to potential harassment and annoyance.

I'm sure there is a command that lets you do it, I'll check and make sure the permissions are setup. I'm guessing it's been setup but I've not made it clear to folks what it is, I'll check and get back on here.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' Yeah, I think we have a suggestion already approved for this and it’s just waiting on the dev team to do the work to get it added.

That conflicts with the idea of OP vanish, so we'll need to deny 1 of the 2.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz Apologies, I had mis-read the post on here which is my bad. Yes they do conflict currently, I'm not sure if OP Vanish or actively blocking OP's from vanishing is the lesser of two evils here. Will have a ponder.

Wild1145

• The biggest issue with development right now is getting all the custom built plugins to run on 1.18. Video has been working diligently on updating tfm to 1.18 and implementing suggestions and changes that are imperative to furthering progress towards abandoning TFM. We are mostly on track to have the update ready by the beginning of March, which is about a week after the original ETA of the update.

Another thing, which will be put in an announcement post shortly, is that with this update, the worlds will be reset. We will also be returning to a semi regular reset schedule, to avoid future Disk IO Errors caused by a full drive. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but flatlands alone is over 200gb of space. In most cases, servers have a set allocation for memory which ranges from 100mb to 500mb. It is highly unusual for a memory range higher than that, unless you are shelling out big money for a server and in that case it most likely isn't being used for minecraft hosting anyways.

There will be ample time to save your work; only the worlds are being reset, so your player data and saved schematics will be fine. However, warps and player homes will also be cleared.

More details will follow in an announcement post for the 1.18 update.

Feel free to ask any questions here, or in dms.

Paldiu but flatlands alone is over 200gb of space.

not quite, but it's still excessively large, yeah. with 1.18 this'll almost double.

[tfserver@freedom-01 ~]$ du -sh flatlands

135G flatlands

[tfserver@freedom-01 ~]$

1gaah.png

•   Deauthorized Just imagine the fact that they replaced the more compact data format MC had until 1.17.1 with big fat lists for worlds that are supposed to be even BIGGER.

How much do you need to smoke to do the opposite of optimising memory while making bigger maps.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager