Unban everyone (serious)

1. Most people are willing to agree that this server is in a state of decline brought on by players losing interest in the server or simply maturing out of it.
    2. Any attempt to advertise the server has lead to failure because Minecraft as a game is no longer in its hayday. Simply put, the chance to make a server like TotalFreedom a “big player” as a network has expired because of the state of this video game.
    3. New players will always drift to servers that are already popular and old players want to experience nostalgia by joining servers they are familiar with. This server’s best opportunity for survival is by imagining itself as a place that has been around for a long time where players can dredge up old memories.
    4. To do this, old grudges need to be forgotten and bans should be lifted on every platform. Once players come back to the server and play again the ones that break rules can be selectively banned.
  • @'court' There's a difference between these suggestions. The suggestion you linked calls for a restructuring of how indefinite bans work. This one, however, calls for wiping the current ban list under the pretence of 'wiping the indefinite ban list will help fix low player count problems.' That is clearly different from reforming the indefinite ban system. It makes sense to object against a full wipe while also supporting reforming the system to be fairer.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Object, this just sounds like a recipe for disaster if everyone get's unbanned. Those who got unbanned recently and hold any grudges against TF would most likely come back and repeat their previous offenses, or do something much worse. It is definitely not worth the risk for thinking unbanning everyone would bring in player numbers, even if it did, it would be a temporary thing before everyone get's bored and leaves again.

• I Object. The consequences for unbanning all of them could be huge (like the others have said, there are good reasons behind the bans).
    If any of those (banned) players wanted to return, they could simply apply and wait for the result.

• Object, we shouldn't risk constant server crashes by unbanning people who have done those things.

Plus, there are other bans for so many other reasons that I would rather not list…but we shouldn't unban everyone, that's just not smart.

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• But why...? If those banned actually wanted to play the server, they could just appeal their ban...

It's rare indef appeals are denied, and when they are it would suggest they are for a very good reason. Every time this has been historically suggested it's done nothing but resulted in spambots returning, we don't get a net gain of players...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan' Please don’t take this the wrong way because I’m being completely serious when I say that you’re overestimating how much people care about your server.

Lots of old players will not take the time to sign up on this forum and file an appeal which by the way could be a lot easier. I’m sure lots of players don’t even remember what they did.

Even the players who do know they did something wrong will likely not get unbanned because this community is not all that forgiving.

As I said in my post, in order for old grudges to be lifted something big needs to happen on this server and that includes forgetting old bans. It would at least prevent appeals from showing up where admins and players conjure up drama from years’ past like what happens consistently on the forum right now.

• I do support the idea of a more accurate and thorough ban management process - one which would involve assigning each ban its own proper allocated length and then working from there. This would obviously see many players immediately unbanned anyway, but I wouldn't want us to just clear the indefinite bans list in its entirety the second this suggestion is improved.

I also still believe permanent bans - or at least bans that require appeals, will still have their place, but just be much less common and for maybe more extreme cases of rule breaking that don't quite stretch to unappealable - one simple example is just a player whose been indefinitely banned multiple times.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   resident_user I'm certainly not overestimating anything... The reality is 99% of permbanned players don't come back after a few weeks... We've purged the ban list countless times before and it's bad no actual positive impact to the overall player base, so why would this time be any different?

I think personally you're over stating the problem... As I said few to no appeals actually get rejected and it's not like we see cases where people that are indef banned try to re join.

I'm personally supportive of the other suggestion linked here which was to re classify all indef bans to be time bound instead. Which would inherently solve this issue.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK